Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request for longer period to edit a post after making one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to edit a post I had made last night, and wasn't able to. It seems we have an hour to do editing, and I must have just come back to it a hair over that hour line. Would it be possible to extend the amount of time we have to do post editing? 6 hours, 12 hours, even 24 hours would make more sense, and be more inline with how other forums behave.

I tried to edit a post I had made last night, and wasn't able to. It seems we have an hour to do editing, and I must have just come back to it a hair over that hour line. Would it be possible to extend the amount of time we have to do post editing? 6 hours, 12 hours, even 24 hours would make more sense, and be more inline with how other forums behave.

Currently, extra editing time on posts is a part of paid memberships:

(I am not trying to encourage you to upgrade your membership, or commenting on whether the default editing time should or shouldn't be extended. Just stating the facts as they exist today.)

Bruce.

You can also (submit a request to) delete your post and re-post it with the updates you wanted, but possible replies might be lost (or been visible any longer).

A different issue, but often some users duplicate their post, when not seeing it immediately posted and get it deleted later on, the next day or so.

Last edited:
You can also (submit a request to) delete your post and re-post it with the updates you wanted, but possible replies might be lost (or been visible any longer).

A different issue, but often some users duplicate their post, when not seeing it immediately posted and get it deleted later on, the next day or so.

Another option is to report your post and ask for the edit. If you ask nicely, a friendly mod may fix the problem. This may work best if there's a serious error in the post which might mislead others.

Both of these work to get a mod for that sections attention and make a request. We usually try to be accommodating on these requests, but there can be many reasons why we would not be able to delete a post. There could also be times when a requested edit might not be appropriate, as well. In general though, we try to be accommodating as much as we can on this type stuff.

FWIW, when I want to correct something I posted, I generally dont delete it (even when I can). The thing I "usually" do, is either edit my post and add the additional context if its appropriate (I usually only do this if I am adding something as a moderator), or, when posting as "myself" I will generally quote my old post in a new one and then make additional statements / corrections etc regarding it.

This second thing is something that anyone can do (quote themselves then add context or correct it etc). Thread titles, though, have a very short time to be edited by the original poster, and if a thread starter wants the thread title changed, reporting it can get a mods attention to do that.