Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request from new MYP owner - Please Review the updated LED Matrix headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

A lot of us here would like a review of the USA spec LED Matrix headlights that are on the new MYP cars. I'd be especially interested if you previously owned a Model 3 with the older style lights so that you can do a comparison between the two lights.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: N2B8
No I do not, I have heard the new Y performance has them now however they may be not fully functional due to US restrictions however probably will be able to turn on the full features via software update once the US law is passed. Maybe in Canada they are fully operational for those delivered as their is no restricting law for this here.

Last edited:
No I do not, I have heard the new Y performance has them now however they may be not fully functional due to US restrictions however probably will be able to turn on the full features via software update once the US law is passed. Maybe in Canada they are fully operational for those delivered as their is no restricting law for this here.
I just picked up my 2021 MYP in Canada with the new headlight. I noticed there is an option for auto highbeam, would it be the new feature?

I think I found the BEST way to get an accurate review on the MYP updated headlights..

Users with the MYP headlights, if you have another car or a car before that, what was your IIHS headlight rating? Vehicle ratings

I was surprised to see my Lexus RX triple beam with an M rating and the Prius Prime was only an A.
In my eyes I thought these 2 would be amazing.
The M3 OLD headlights has a G rating, highest.

So please let us know what cars you are comparing the MYP to if you can and if it's worth waiting for ! :) Thanks

Has anyone confirmed the new headlights are actually 'matrix' design and might be capable of some of the meow advanced features other manufacturers are deploying with theirs? I think there is a lot of assumption that more advanced features will come (and I tend to agree) but curious if there has been confirmation of the mechanical features - i.e. what will they be capable of if software enables?

The new lights have projector lenses in the headlight. The old lights are all reflectors.

As of now only the 2021 Model Y Performance have the new lights. We are not interested in comparing these lights w other cars. We are only interested in how the new Tesla lights compare to the old ones. And yes the old ones are amazing, better than anything I’ve had before including BMW M4 (F8x) and Porsche 911 (991.1 non LED version).

Picked up MYP on Friday 3/12 with new headlights. First Tesla. They seem very bright. I don't think the software is right. First night I had it I was following a Ford Fusion on a couple two-lane roads at a distance back, and after he turned off he came back after me with his high beams on in my rearview mirror. Clearly pissed. Yes, my headlights were on low beam.

Picked up MYP on Friday 3/12 with new headlights. First Tesla. They seem very bright. I don't think the software is right. First night I had it I was following a Ford Fusion on a couple two-lane roads at a distance back, and after he turned off he came back after me with his high beams on in my rearview mirror. Clearly pissed. Yes, my headlights were on low beam.

A lot of Model 3 and Model Y cars come with misaligned headlights from the factory. I've seen a number of people post similar issues, even with the older headlights, where people will flash them because they're aimed too high.

Fortunately Tesla made it very easy to adjust the vertical alignment on the headlights by going into the Service menu and adjusting the headlights there. So I wonder if that's the case with your car, or if other people with the MYP and new headlights also run into this issue. It's still pretty early to tell how the new headlights will work on the taller Model Y chassis since they're just now getting out there.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Congrats on your first Tesla!

Any chance you can snap a pic of your headlights against a wall a night. Both on high and low beams?

Thanks.

There's an entire video on a comparison vs the new and old headlights if you're interested!
I saw this video and it is part of the reason why I rejected my MY LR ten days ago and modified the build for an MYP (still waiting). I do have a BMW with the adaptive headlights activated. In addition to cornering, the tunneling while driving in country roads is something I want for all my cars from now on. The car adapts the beams to create a “tunnel” of lower intensity not to blind the car in front, but keeps the outer sides fully illuminated. I’m hoping this comes to Tesla with these new headlights.

With how good (poorly) auto headlights work on the car right now, I wonder how well these will work. This is especially true if Tesla tries to do some high end 100% computer vision compared to a specific custom sensor... do we have wipers that work as good as a $20k Honda yet?

I don't mind my auto headlights not using the brights enough, but what I hate is how flickering they are. Car coming towards me and it's high beams soooo long, then finally low beams, then flash to the high again real fast, then nope it's now close enough low beams. Another car is maybe 500 feet behind it and the Tesla will switch back to high beams because the first car passes but just for a split second before they go back to low beams for the second car.

Maybe I'm not actually blinding anyone, but holy cow it must look like some drunk idiot or child is just playing with the high beam switch, or trying to signal that they're being held hostage 😝

I am in the FSD Beta...auto high beams work with the FSD software...almost perfectly. Makes sense because FSD has to identify all the cars around you.
One of the lucky 2,000!!! Did you reach out to Tesla or did they reach out to you? :)

Also, that's good to know, I've always thought they needed deeper software integration and be able to "track" multiple objects at once instead of sequentially.

It probably needs some machine learning too for if there are a number of cars in a row and each car is spaced just far enough out to be outside of the "switch to low beam range" but closing fast (maybe within 1 or 2 seconds) it should just default to low beams until all the cars are past, this would keep the strobing effect from happening. 0.5 to 1 second of high beams between cars doesn't do me any good, lol