Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request from new MYP owner - Please Review the updated LED Matrix headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'the matrix thing 100% is in fact in the lights in Europe' - are you saying there is new functionality pin EU Tesla (new) projector lights? I am interested in the type of adaptive features that the German premium brands have (lights move to avoid dazzling oncoming vehicles etc). I have only see a video showing they appear a little sharper, no actual adaptive or 'matrix' function.
There are different kinds of matrix. For Tesla, it means there are a handful of led elements in the projector that can be turned on or off to direct light in different directions such as oncoming traffic. The type you are referring to is known as DMD (digital micromirror device) which is basically a dlp chip but instead of projecting rgb pixels onto a screen, it projects very bright white led pixels onto the road and since there are thousands upon thousands of pixels they can turn them on or off to make designs. Which is still illegal everywhere afaik. Shaping the lights or turning selected regions off is ok but displaying words or images while driving is not. Just a gimmick you pay tens of thousands of dollars for.

The matrix led for Tesla exist. Read this board. There are hundreds or,thousands of people delaying model Y orders so they can get these lights even though they are no better than the current lights and there is no timeframe of when the features can be used in the US.

Tesla website updated page, looks like Model Y LR is getting new headlights if you closely to order page.
I just checked the website and I’m not seeing it. What photo are you referring to? They did update the interior photo with the new center console so that’s encouraging. And I think the price of the MY LR went up $500 as well but don’t quote me on that.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.42.23 PM.png

OLD
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.42.09 PM.png

NEW

Hope you guys can see the image.

Reactions: TDuong122
There are different kinds of matrix. For Tesla, it means there are a handful of led elements in the projector that can be turned on or off to direct light in different directions such as oncoming traffic. The type you are referring to is known as DMD (digital micromirror device) which is basically a dlp chip but instead of projecting rgb pixels onto a screen, it projects very bright white led pixels onto the road and since there are thousands upon thousands of pixels they can turn them on or off to make designs. Which is still illegal everywhere afaik. Shaping the lights or turning selected regions off is ok but displaying words or images while driving is not. Just a gimmick you pay tens of thousands of dollars for.

The matrix led for Tesla exist. Read this board. There are hundreds or,thousands of people delaying model Y orders so they can get these lights even though they are no better than the current lights and there is no timeframe of when the features can be used in the US.
Thanks for the info.
As I have posted a few times, I am aware people are delaying - hence my questions. Are these folks delaying based on faith/speculation of function to be added, (I think the answer here is resoundingly yes) and so my questions have been of the ilk of is there any hard evidence that any advanced capability is mechanically present in the lights (to be later added). From your info here, it seems that some functionality could (and I would agree likely) be added by the ability to turn on and off individual led elements. That said, the led elements from what I have seen appear to be quite big and so to my limited knowledge would make any such function very limited?

The type you are referring to is known as DMD (digital micromirror device) which is basically a dlp chip but instead of projecting rgb pixels onto a screen,
This type is still quite rare for other brands (e.g. 2021 new mercedes S class) and quite unnecessary (can't see the benefit of projecting patterns on the road when they have HUD).
Anti-glare (or non-dazzle) high beam pkitch referred to has been in use for many years for other brands, and it does not require such high tech mechanism. Basic matrix LEDs would work just fine. Though I am not sure if Tesla's headlight is capable of that, as the cut off between the LED pixels in the new Tesla headlight is not quite sharp enough for anti-glare high beam to work.

• Informative
Reactions: pkitch