Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request from new MYP owner - Please Review the updated LED Matrix headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2020 MYP(bought as a demo/old headlights) for a couple of weeks before Tesla service center wrecked it. I insisted on them buying it back which took them 8 weeks to complete. My new 2021 (2/2021 build) MYP has the new headlights and I do not see much difference. I also drive a 2019 BMW M5 with LED headlights that have some matrix functions. I've also had a BMW M4 with the LED lights coded to gain the Euro anti dazzle function. These new headlights on the MYP do not have any of those functions(currently active).
Can you comment on what Tesla service center did to wreck your old MYP 2020? I'm about to get my headlight fixed (defect) plus home link and am terrified of what they would do, but I I just invested in ppf wrap of the car so if they wreck it, it's hard to stomach that...

Can you comment on what Tesla service center did to wreck your old MYP 2020? I'm about to get my headlight fixed (defect) plus home link and am terrified of what they would do, but I I just invested in ppf wrap of the car so if they wreck it, it's hard to stomach that...
Overcrowded service center with bad procedures in place. My car was being driven around a blind corner by a tech while another car that was parked around the corner was backing out. Took out both Right side doors and creased the rear door frame. I have no idea what the damage to the other car was.
tempImage2RSRol.jpg

tempImagebxT7pW.jpg

Could you please post a picture of the cutoffs? Side by side against your garage door or front garage wall? That would be awesome.
Okay here goes:
When facing them, it’s quite hard to tell the difference.
Side by side, they also seem to project the same beam

The main difference I was able to see was that the spread of the 2020 seems wider than the 2021. The 2021’s beam seems a bit more “honed” and “focused” while the 2020 has more coverage,

I couldn’t drive them to some building with a large wall, so my garage is really the best I had to work with.

I made sure I parked them at the same distance (around 5-7 feet from the door) so that I could capture the full span of the beams.

Again, on the road I haven’t noted muchI’ll do my best to take them out one of these days.

Apologies for the quality. I literally remembered this at about 10:00 PM and rushed outside to get these since my wife and little one had just gone to sleep.

1) 2021 MYP (7 ft)
2) 2020 MYP (7 ft)
3) 2021 left, 2020 right
4) 2021 left, 2020 right
5) 2020 left, 2021 right (15 ft)

Okay here goes:

The main difference I was able to see was that the spread of the 2020 seems wider than the 2021. The 2021’s beam seems a bit more “honed” and “focused” while the 2020 has more coverage,

I couldn’t drive them to some building with a large wall, so my garage is really the best I had to work with.

I made sure I parked them at the same distance (around 5-7 feet from the door) so that I could capture the full span of the beams.

Again, on the road I haven’t noted muchI’ll do my best to take them out one of these days.

Apologies for the quality. I literally remembered this at about 10:00 PM and rushed outside to get these since my wife and little one had just gone to sleep.

1) 2021 MYP (7 ft)
2) 2020 MYP (7 ft)
3) 2021 left, 2020 right
4) 2021 left, 2020 right
5) 2020 left, 2021 right (15 ft)

Thanks for posting these! I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say we appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Interesting to hear someone’s first hand opinion. Based on your comments and the pics, seems like there’s very little real world difference — at least for now. I’m guessing the real benefit of the newer global lights is future proofing? Of course what features may or may not be unlocked with an update is still very much anyone’s guess.

What may or may not be unlocked on an update is 99% determined by the federal government regulations pertaining to matrix headlights. Only 1% is whether Tesla updates them to work as designed once those restrictions are loosened. In all likelihood, in the US these lights will never operate to their full potential.

Thanks for the pics. Other than the narrower pattern (which might mean longer throw), the main difference to me is the significant dips between the projector beams on the outside and the straight led beams in the middle (assuming those dips are where the different elements not quite overlap). There was a post in another thread where someone posted the comparison of the IIHS(?) light testing and I think it showed the same. Longer throw in front but slightly less throw to the sides With the new lights.

Welcome!
Thanks for posting these! I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say we appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Interesting to hear someone’s first hand opinion. Based on your comments and the pics, seems like there’s very little real world difference — at least for now. I’m guessing the real benefit of the newer global lights is future proofing? Of course what features may or may not be unlocked with an update is still very much anyone’s guess.
Welcome! Yep assuming after approvals it may be added, but that’s a long progress.

What may or may not be unlocked on an update is 99% determined by the federal government regulations pertaining to matrix headlights. Only 1% is whether Tesla updates them to work as designed once those restrictions are loosened. In all likelihood, in the US these lights will never operate to their full potential.

Thanks for the pics. Other than the narrower pattern (which might mean longer throw), the main difference to me is the significant dips between the projector beams on the outside and the straight led beams in the middle (assuming those dips are where the different elements not quite overlap). There was a post in another thread where someone posted the comparison of the IIHS(?) light testing and I think it showed the same. Longer throw in front but slightly less throw to the sides With the new lights.
You’re welcome. Yes exactly. Reminded me of turning a mag lite flashlight to focus the beam a bit. However side by side it was hard to see the difference.
My wife drives her 2020 to work every morning at about 4:30 AM and she has had no complaints since we bought it in June.

Reactions: casey1202
But European Tesla should have the glare-free or anti-dazzle high beam if the car is capable of this as it is perfectly legal there.
My only reservation about the possibility of anti-dazzle high beam is that the pixel cut-off in the high beam headlights is not very sharp. Cars with anti-dazzle high beam need very sharp cut off even at a distance to make it work.

Here's what bugs me about the 2020 Old headlights.
There's so much glare it prevents you from raising the beam any higher for better light illumination.

I spent an hour trying to adjust the headlights the best I could but because of the glare all the way at the top, it prevents you from adjusting the beam and not blinding people.

With the projectors you have a much cleaner cut off at the top making it easier to adjust higher for better visibility.

However, close and mid range visibility on the old headlights are amazing

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
Okay here goes:

Thanks for this explanation. Could you also clarify the role of the round projector module vs. the other LEDs in the 2021 assembly? Are both types illuminated on Low Beam? High Beam? What happens when you switch?

I assume that all of your beam-pattern photos are taken with Low Beam only, is that right?

I'm not even sure the new design lights are coming to the non-Performance models. Even the March built LR's are still with prior design lights. We all assume from watching the Model 3 rollout that they are coming to every Model Y, but I'm not sure that's Tesla's product strategy here. Maybe.
Elon Tweeted some time before the refreshed 3 was released that all 3/Y would move to the same headlamps across all markets by end of Q1 2021. In true Tesla fashion, we've passed that date, but that doesn't mean plans have changed. Think about it, same headlight for both models, for all trim levels for all countries. It really simplify's things, Tesla is all about cost savings and this will likely save them a bundle.

I would be surprised if all Model Y's did not have the new headlights by the end of Q2 2021, I'm betting the transition will occur mid-quarter for LR and SR, if SR is in fact still a thing.

I don't know what the hype is about. I find I prefer the beam pattern on the full LED setup and not the projector beam. There are actually several dead spots in the new headlight. I'll have to take a photo of it.

Reactions: SQLDevDBA
I’m planning to do an overnight test drive on a YP next week to see if that’s the one I want vs the Y LR. I’ll do a comparison vs my model 3 so we can all decide if we should wait on a LR purchase. Hopefully the YP comes w the new headlights.
Ok guys I took a million pics and left it on the new thread.

I don't know what the hype is about. I find I prefer the beam pattern on the full LED setup and not the projector beam. There are actually several dead spots in the new headlight. I'll have to take a photo of it.

The hype isn't about how these headlamps are performing today. The hype is that they have the ability to perform better over time. You know, just like your Tesla receives software updates, now the headlamps have the ability to preform better with software updates. The previous headlamps simply do not have this capability.

To be clear, both headlamps are "full LED" one uses a projector lens, one does not.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The hype isn't about how these headlamps are performing today. The hype is that they have the ability to perform better over time. You know, just like your Tesla receives software updates, now the headlamps have the ability to preform better with software updates. The previous headlamps simply do not have this capability.

To be clear, both headlamps are "full LED" one uses a projector lens, one does not.
Unfortunately this hype is overblown. I'm well aware of the tech used in Europe which is not legal here and will not be legal here for many years. The reason being is that the manufacturers from Detroit are not investing in lighting R&D. The original law was put in place to protect the US manufacturers because they were 7 years behind the Europeans in terms of lighting technology. NHTSA won't remove the original law unless the Detroit manufacturers have the same technology and can compete directly with the Europeans.

Personally, I don't care about something that "might" happen in a decade.