Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request from new MYP owner - Please Review the updated LED Matrix headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately this hype is overblown. I'm well aware of the tech used in Europe which is not legal here and will not be legal here for many years. The reason being is that the manufacturers from Detroit are not investing in lighting R&D. The original law was put in place to protect the US manufacturers because they were 7 years behind the Europeans in terms of lighting technology. NHTSA won't remove the original law unless the Detroit manufacturers have the same technology and can compete directly with the Europeans.

Personally, I don't care about something that "might" happen in a decade.
Look, you don't have to worry, your two Tesla's are AMAZING, the fact that one of both of them don't have the latest headlamps doesn't mean you can't be happy for those that will have them.

Again, I'm not talking about all of the features available in other markets, just on a very basic US level, the headlamps can still receive software updates that may help them perform better while adhering to the US's archaic headlamp laws. I don't know how to make this any more clear.

If you don't care, why are you in this post at all? Serious question.

The hype isn't about how these headlamps are performing today. The hype is that they have the ability to perform better over time. You know, just like your Tesla receives software updates, now the headlamps have the ability to preform better with software updates. The previous headlamps simply do not have this capability.

To be clear, both headlamps are "full LED" one uses a projector lens, one does not.

This would be the sensible assumption, but has anyone seen any evidence, i.e. tear down of the new lights to look for servos, motors etc? I am aware that it's likely a possibility to come once US regulations allow if the lights are capable of this (like on most BMW, Mercedes and Audi 'matrix' functions are disabled in the US) but have not yet seen any proof that they (will) have such a capability.

This would be the sensible assumption, but has anyone seen any evidence, i.e. tear down of the new lights to look for servos, motors etc? I am aware that it's likely a possibility to come once US regulations allow if the lights are capable of this (like on most BMW, Mercedes and Audi 'matrix' functions are disabled in the US) but have not yet seen any proof that they (will) have such a capability.

I'm not aware of anyone that has torn down a new set of headlights. It is my understanding that Tesla tends to lag behind with software updates that take full advantage of previously installed hardware updates. My guess is we won't know the full capabilities of the new headlamps until first they are installed in all new models and all trim levels of 3/Y. Then at some point software updates will roll out and sometime after that, finally, these features will make their way to their respective countries' Tesla websites. Which in the US might not really be an update to the website at all, for now. But again, that is a total guess.

You are right to question this, however, they could simply just be another set of "dumb" LED headlamps in a different arrangement.

I'm not aware of anyone that has torn down a new set of headlights. It is my understanding that Tesla tends to lag behind with software updates that take full advantage of previously installed hardware updates. My guess is we won't know the full capabilities of the new headlamps until first they are installed in all new models and all trim levels of 3/Y. Then at some point software updates will roll out and sometime after that, finally, these features will make their way to their respective countries' Tesla websites. Which in the US might not really be an update to the website at all, for now. But again, that is a total guess.

You are right to question this, however, they could simply just be another set of "dumb" LED headlamps in a different arrangement.
Yes lot of people getting very excited over possible/assumed new functionality when not yet determined (to have the capability). Would love to know, helpfully someone will analyze soon etc.

Reactions: pt19713
Again, these lights have additional functionality in Europe because they need it to compare to the output from the "old" US lights. In Europe they have to turn down the output because there are no headlight washers. Having the Matrix capability means they can route the decreased power to fewer led elements so it is brighter in the areas you need it. Overall output is the same but it is not spread over as wide of an area. If they didn't have the matrix capabilities, they are abysmal. Look for reviews of 2018-2020 European Model 3s.

Elon Tweeted some time before the refreshed 3 was released that all 3/Y would move to the same headlamps across all markets by end of Q1 2021. In true Tesla fashion, we've passed that date, but that doesn't mean plans have changed. Think about it, same headlight for both models, for all trim levels for all countries. It really simplify's things, Tesla is all about cost savings and this will likely save them a bundle.

I would be surprised if all Model Y's did not have the new headlights by the end of Q2 2021, I'm betting the transition will occur mid-quarter for LR and SR, if SR is in fact still a thing.
Very well could be. Predicting what Tesla or Elon will do is like predicting the weather - you see indications, but sometimes it's wrong.

A REVIEW FWIW: these new headlights are pretty underwhelming in practice. I've had my MYP since March 12. I adjusted the height per my prior note in this thread because it was angering people, and it very clearly looked way too high on the road. It's probably still too high. A friend that also bought an MYP a few days after I did also had the height problem. However, I made those observations previously. I just want to add now that I'm underwhelmed with the performance. They are plenty bright - it's not a light output problem. It's basically the pattern which is rather narrow, then quickly gets dim off axis, and the lights don't swivel to put the light on the path. When you put the lights in adjustment mode, they very clearly have some ability to move, but in operation they currently point pencil-beam ahead. If you've had experience with the HID's or LED's on the German brands, I'll wager you will not be very impressed. Perhaps the swivel feature is coming.

Interesting to hear someone’s first hand opinion. Based on your comments and the pics, seems like there’s very little real world difference — at least for now. I’m guessing the real benefit of the newer global lights is future proofing? Of course what features may or may not be unlocked with an update is still very much anyone’s guess.

What may or may not be unlocked on an update is 99% determined by the federal government regulations pertaining to matrix headlights. Only 1% is whether Tesla updates them to work as designed once those restrictions are loosened. In all likelihood, in the US these lights will never operate to their full potential.
To be fair, I think we're jumping ahead assuming the US regulations have anything to do with this. If the new global lights are, in fact, "matrix" or beam forming in the same way as the Audi offerings then great - cool functionality and future proofing for whatever happens in the states. Or, they might just be adaptive lights that move directionally through curves and corning like those currently offered in the US by Audi, BMW, Lexus and a wide range of other manufacturers. Or, of course, they might just be standard LEDs but with a projector beam. At this point, we really don't know much.
Yes lot of people getting very excited over possible/assumed new functionality when not yet determined (to have the capability). Would love to know, helpfully someone will analyze soon etc.
Exactly. Again, I'm hopeful that the new lights are matrix or adaptive at least, but we just don't know. As of right now, all we know is they've moved from an all reflector design to one including projectors.

To be fair, I think we're jumping ahead assuming the US regulations have anything to do with this. If the new global lights are, in fact, "matrix" or beam forming in the same way as the Audi offerings then great - cool functionality and future proofing for whatever happens in the states. Or, they might just be adaptive lights that move directionally through curves and corning like those currently offered in the US by Audi, BMW, Lexus and a wide range of other manufacturers. Or, of course, they might just be standard LEDs but with a projector beam. At this point, we really don't know much.

Exactly. Again, I'm hopeful that the new lights are matrix or adaptive at least, but we just don't know. As of right now, all we know is they've moved from an all reflector design to one including projectors.
It sounds like maybe there is an adaptive element although based on the above comment it sounds like it isn’t doing much.

However, the matrix thing 100% is in fact in the lights in Europe. We wouldn’t have these posts about them if these lights didn’t have the matrix functions enabled. That is he whole point and why people in the US are delaying deliveries. The lights that have been on all Model 3s since the new year and MYP are matrix lights and the features are enabled in Europe but not in the US due to regulations. There is no jumping ahead or assuming.

Reactions: pt19713
It sounds like maybe there is an adaptive element although based on the above comment it sounds like it isn’t doing much.

However, the matrix thing 100% is in fact in the lights in Europe. We wouldn’t have these posts about them if these lights didn’t have the matrix functions enabled. That is he whole point and why people in the US are delaying deliveries. The lights that have been on all Model 3s since the new year and MYP are matrix lights and the features are enabled in Europe but not in the US due to regulations. There is no jumping ahead or assuming.
'the matrix thing 100% is in fact in the lights in Europe' - are you saying there is new functionality pin EU Tesla (new) projector lights? I am interested in the type of adaptive features that the German premium brands have (lights move to avoid dazzling oncoming vehicles etc). I have only see a video showing they appear a little sharper, no actual adaptive or 'matrix' function.