TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Request to Borrow Roadster to S charging cable (for road trip)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bluetinc, Dec 14, 2012.

1. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the very final preparations for a fantastically long road trip that will start with me picking my S up in Portland OR, in 10 days (and end with me back in Maryland).

The one item I don't have but would like to just for this trip, is a Roadster to Model S adapter cable for charging as it looks like there are still a number of chargers that have the old Roadster adapters on them, and being able to charge at 70A instead of 40A on a 14-50 would well, be really really nice. Is there anyone local to me in the DC/MD/VA area, or in the Portland area, that would be willing to loan me their adapter cable for two weeks?

Thanks!

Peter

(Mod's please feel free to move this is you feel this should be in a sub category)

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Are you going to be traveling along the west coast for a bit? Once you leave the west coast, I think you won't find many Roadster HPCs in the wild other than at people's houses. If you've already arranged all of that or know that HPCs are available on your route it would be really useful. Hope you find one and good luck on the trip. Sounds like a great journey.

3. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Hey DSM,

Yes, I'm planning to travel mainly down I5 from Portland to LA before heading east. From what ive been able to find online it really looks like there are still a number of them when you head south on I5. You can check out the planned route at Trip Route | Electric Road Trips in an S to see my planned route.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Peter

I totally agree that once I leave the west coast I won't really need the adapter anymore, which is why I really feel silly buying one!

4. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

What is this cable? I've seen pictures of prototypes, but not a finished product. Is this generally available now?

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'd assume that most people who have one want to use it themselves. You should consider to just buy one and then after your trip you can resell it as hardly used.

6. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

My understanding is that Tesla's not selling the adaptor cables to anyone who isn't a Roadster owner...

7. Vger

Vger Active Member

They are also on backorder now. I just tried to buy one, and I am a Roadster owner.

8. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Thanks for the info guys, I didn't realize that going with my plan B of buying one would be problematic also!

Peter

9. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Give them a call and find out... then report back here. I'm curious, too.

10. napabill

napabill Active Member

I just talked with Tesla Ownership yesterday about my need for a 14-30 adapter and was told it isn't currently available but should be shortly. I'm betting they are all sourced from the same spot.

11. Owner

Owner Active Member

I just got mine delivered.

Works fine except the button does not seem to open the Model S charge port. I'm not sure if this feature is not intended to be part of this adaptor or not.

roadstermodelsconnector.jpg

12. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

Yeah, the adapter does not do that, only the real cable from a real HPWC. (I dont have an HPWC, thats only what I have heard. )

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@Owner - Just to confirm, how much $?

14. Owner

Owner Active Member

It was $600 and included in part of the car purchase bill.