Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request to enable DAB+ - Interested?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still trying to prove whether AU Model 3 is DAB or not. (I don't have my car yet).

Tesla Tom looked at his wife's car and said 'looks like digital radio' but the menu he described appears to be the FM menu (looks like the car's pre-load FM stations dependent on location which is kinda cool - but that's till not DAB). (please nobody restart the dab/dab+ argument again - I'm over it).

I then thought I'd try another tac and found the European manual and Bingo - page 112 - DAB Radio

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/model_3_owners_manual_europe_en.pdf

Anyway then looked at the 'Australian' manual (linked from within the my account page) and it mentions FM and 'HD' , which is the US digital radio standard which seemed odd to mention in the Australian manual until I realised the URL linked for the 'Australian' manual is:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

It's North American Manual!!! aargh! (explains why it mentions FM/HD radio).

I've tried to guess what the 'Australian' manual url might be in the above directories on their website (file listing is turned off naturally) and no luck.

To be honest after all that I'm none-the-wiser really.

Still trying to prove whether AU Model 3 is DAB or not. (I don't have my car yet).

Tesla Tom looked at his wife's car and said 'looks like digital radio' but the menu he described appears to be the FM menu (looks like the car's pre-load FM stations dependent on location which is kinda cool - but that's till not DAB). (please nobody restart the dab/dab+ argument again - I'm over it).

I then thought I'd try another tac and found the European manual and Bingo - page 112 - DAB Radio

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/model_3_owners_manual_europe_en.pdf

Anyway then looked at the 'Australian' manual (linked from within the my account page) and it mentions FM and 'HD' , which is the US digital radio standard which seemed odd to mention in the Australian manual until I realised the URL linked for the 'Australian' manual is:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

It's North American Manual!!! aargh! (explains why it mentions FM/HD radio).

I've tried to guess what the 'Australian' manual url might be in the above directories on their website (file listing is turned off naturally) and no luck.

To be honest after all that I'm none-the-wiser really.

I posted a screenshot in the other thread of the radio screen from my Tesla. Mines an SR+ so no idea if it’s in the performance version. The North American manual is the link that’s given to AU owners.

Top be honest the addition of DAB+ radio probably doesn’t add that much to the car. I don’t listen to AM or FM any more and just use the built-in TuneIn radio to listen to radio stations using the cars internet connection. I’ve found that DAB+ reception is pretty limited, whereas the internet connection works all over the place - including in many car parks.

I posted a screenshot in the other thread of the radio screen from my Tesla. Mines an SR+ so no idea if it’s in the performance version. The North American manual is the link that’s given to AU owners.

You did too Sep 21 thank you so much Youmi that's what I was looking for.

So that screenshot matches the US manual - and 'doesn't match the European manual which states that under media player there should be a 'DAB Radio' option as well as the 'Radio' option.

It's almost as if they've provided Aus/NZ cars with the North American setup instead of the European setup which would be a rather odd.

Also, if the way to get a company to respond to something is to tweet the CEO it is a sign of a dysfunctional company in my view. It is not, or should not, be the job of the CEO to respond to individual customer complaints or feedback. That’s why companies have hierarchies and delegations. The CEO is not there to do everything.
You are criticizing a ceo for interacting with his customers? Should be a lot more of that.

You are criticizing a ceo for interacting with his customers? Should be a lot more of that.
Please quote me where I said that. If a CEO wants to interact with his customers, that’s great, but what I wrote was “if the way to get a company to respond to something is to tweet the CEO...” which, if true, implies that any other action will not result in the company responding, or not responding adequately or promptly. If that’s the case, that company has serious communications and customer management issues it needs to address.

Every minute spent by a CEO directly interacting with his customers (when frankly that should be the primary job of other people in the organisation) is a minute that CEO spends not addressing or solving some other company-wide operational, management or performance issue. And there are only 1440 minutes in a day, so at some point something will break if a CEO spends too much time on the wrong things.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Would love DAB+ on my Model S too. However, if there's no hardware, then so be it. It should definitely be in and enabled in all current hw.
I use FM mainly around town and it works fine, but DAB+ at home does give superior sound quality.

View attachment 458010 Lol ok new thread about this. So before we repeat the debate from other thread....

FACTS:
DAB+ receiver chipsets are backward compatible with DAB
yes the uk colloquially uses DAB but has been moving to DAB+ transmitters since 2016
AU NZ both DAB+ Transmitters
No receiver chipsets have been made since mid 2000’s which are DAB only. The standard for receiver chipsets has been DAB+ for a very long time as they can receive from the older DAB transmitters as well.

so I was told verbally by Tesla many many months ago that au model 3 would have dab radio (ie dab+ as in the receiver chipset and software there is no difference). Although verbal so means squat in the real world.

Somebody else also got written confirmation. (Above)

AGAIN DAB = DAB+ as nobody has made an old format DAB receiver chipset in a long time. DAB is shorthand for a receiver chipset which these days = both... ie backward compatible with the old codecs and the new codecs.

So I don’t see any reason why AU NZ cars should be missing this if it’s standard in UK and EU Tesla model 3’s

So the question is, is it there??? The Tesla specs say FM/HD radio, HD radio being the US/Canada/Japan digital radio standard. So they couldn’t possibly be putting that in our cars that would be silly. So let’s assume the USA based marketing department neglected to specify the difference on the website. We know UK and EU cars are coming with DAB+.... are ours...???

I’ve asked Tesla Tom (aka ludicrousfeed) via twitter to check his wife’s model 3 they received a few days ago... I’ll let I know if I get a response.
Yes that was me that received the email from tesla Australia that DAB was included as HD so it should for 70k+ car. Come on tesla

Bit of a weird question but why is everyone raving about DAB so much?
Is there any noticeable benefit to it?

Compared to streaming:
* It is fast to switch channels & higher quality. Not reliant on a data connection.

Compared to FM radio:
* It is much higher sound quality, and contains more channels (AM & FM channels + new channels)

Compared to streaming:
* It is fast to switch channels & higher quality. Not reliant on a data connection.

Compared to FM radio:
* It is much higher sound quality, and contains more channels (AM & FM channels + new channels)

Ahh, I see.
I guess thats pretty good to have better quality and faster 'zapping' I believe its called. Some people can really tell the difference between the quality, I'm pretty good at it with headphones but not with speakers.

Although its still radio where you have the downsides of around 10,000 advertisements and hosts who's mouths should be filled with expanding foam.