Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REQUEST TO TESLA: CONTINUE USB MUSIC PLAYBACK ON CAR RESTART

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the replies. I had really hoped that I had simply missed something obvious. It seems to me that when the car (any car) starts up, it should be exactly the same as when it was shut down for that particular driver profile. When it comes to the amenities that make the driving experience worthwhile, I hate to say it, but my 12 year old Prius runs circles around my brand new Model 3. If Tesla doesn't have the time or resources to address something like this, why not open source it? I suspect (at this point) the average Tesla owner probably has some level of technical expertise and could provide valuable contributions (I myself am a retired EE with a fair amount of software experience). Obviously, there are some areas, such as auto pilot, that Tesla would want to retain full control over but other things, such as the Media Player, Tesla could reduce their effort simply by acting as coordinator rather than developer. My two cents.

Well, aren't I lucky! I took delivery 2 weeks ago and I've never had a problem with my music starting up from when I got out and then later when I get back in. That includes what's streaming on my phone (Spotify) or any other source. AND...I never configured anything...which leads me to believe maybe you need to reboot your system. It works for me so it should work for any M3. Good luck!

Well, aren't I lucky! I took delivery 2 weeks ago and I've never had a problem with my music starting up from when I got out and then later when I get back in. That includes what's streaming on my phone (Spotify) or any other source. AND...I never configured anything...which leads me to believe maybe you need to reboot your system. It works for me so it should work for any M3. Good luck!

Seriously!? Maybe there's hope yet. I'll keep plugging away on it and thanks for the input.

Ft. Lauderdale, huh? I grew up there (many, many years ago) in north Lauderdale, just south of Wilton Manors.

Let us know details of your USB flash drive and what kinds of file you're using. And do make sure you've really tested this - no one else has reported this success with USB audio resuming correctly every time. Most of us are getting one out of every 5 times success maybe.

slacker works great for me in general and specifically re resuming where I left off. usb not so much. I like the audio player software far more than many posters on this site and would be completely satisfied if they'd just add shuffle mode for usb.

...which leads me to believe maybe you need to reboot your system.

I had a chance to try a reboot this afternoon (I had not done that previously) and, it worked! Once. I took the M3 out stopping and parking every few minutes, then coming back and starting up again. Each time there was no music when I started the car. However, each time I rebooted (full reboot with the break pedal) and each time the USB music picked up again right where it had left off previously. Funny thing is that I found I can do a full reboot in less time that it would take to go through a number of screens to get back to where I was in the playlist, assuming I could even remember. Pretty lame solution but... it is a solution.

I have a loaner Model S and it doesn't restart unless I open any door other than the drivers door. So I assume that means the bug exists on the S as well. Was going to complain because my 3 wasn't resuming play either. I guess I'll need to try opening the rear door to see if that works on the 3 also. Found out by opening rear door to get something out of the backseat on two occasions and music starts up again. Worst resume playback button ever!

Use the Ask A Question form on your Manage page in your account to report this. And do it after every update. Also compile a list of other similar problems - the USB audio system is a ball of broken stuff. They've indicated to me that they've gotten numerous complaints about this, and it's something they're working on, but I have my doubts at this point. BTW no-one can actually get the USB system to resume normally in normal use. The few people who say they can are confusing it with streaming radio or phone playback.

Use the Ask A Question form on your Manage page in your account to report this. And do it after every update. Also compile a list of other similar problems - the USB audio system is a ball of broken stuff. They've indicated to me that they've gotten numerous complaints about this, and it's something they're working on, but I have my doubts at this point. BTW no-one can actually get the USB system to resume normally in normal use. The few people who say they can are confusing it with streaming radio or phone playback.
I just did that and they said they will look into it further. I encourage others to do the same, even if you have before. This is a major bug that needs to be fixed. They give us premium speakers but nothing premium about the audio playback thus far.

I found what I have to do is get back in the car and allow the USB device to load up to 100%. Once that's done, I have to get out of the car to get the screen to go dark. Once I open another door other than the driver's door, it comes on and immediately starts playback from the last spot.

Yeah, I think it is trying to resume from USB but failing much of the time. I think the playback starter just tries to resume when the USB device isn't ready. Maybe at car restart it has to "mount" the USB flash filesystem and that can take a little while.

Perhaps they could fix it by adding some delay on the playback restart to wait until the USB filesystem reports ready? Or even wait some fixed amount of time ( ~10 seconds? ) before trying to start playing?

Someone has reported in the 2018.34.1 thread that USB resume worked after installing it. I have the update prompt but didn't have time to install it before work. I'll give it a try when I get home and will report back.

So when I get in and pick music source, then a folder, then a song, I see the USB device symbol on the right like this:
usb1.png

(Along with folder name and other songs it will step through and let me pick)

So I drive to work, stop the car, get back in for lunch, and it does (luckily that time) start playing a USB song again, but I see this:
usb2.png

So it decided to keep playing from my USB flash drive, but the selected source on the right is now showing phone.
Then in place of the track list it asks me to connect my phone with Bluetooth.
So, it can sometimes sort of keep playing from USB, but gets confused about which source is active.
It keeps wanting to go back to phone instead of USB.

In the above case, it kept playing songs from the old folder, but I couldn't see the contents below, and I had to start over with the source selector if I wanted to switch folders.

Today I had it resume from the last track on the USB too (never of course where it was at within the track). I was sick of that song so I hit the next control on the left steering wheel. Rather than going to the next track in the USB album it went somewhere else like the real radio station (I have one real radio favorite).

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy