Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request: Video review from Plaid owner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. The yoke looks cumbersome. I see zero advantage over traditional steering wheel. Not a fan of having turn signal controls rotate with steering wheel. The incidental horn strike when doing u-turn was a bit telling. Why couldn't they leave the horn in center of steering wheel? If horn is needed emergently, I can see fumbling and misfires occuring (eg, hitting the hi-beam or turn signal when intending on horn, because wheel not straight). My resting hand positions aren't always 9 & 3 or even 10 & 2. I also use top of wheel when turning. Yoke just takes away options. And I can see my IC just fine with current car.

I hope they bring back conventional steering wheel (with horn at its intuitive spot) and standard stalks.
level 5 FSD will be released soon. Conventional steering wheel and stalks will be things of past :):)

I agree that looks awkward, a turning motion is definitely better with a wheel, you’re turning in a circle, best to use a circle to do it.
I have to agree here 100%. My 12 yr old son says it best ‘uh dad, but you always hold the wheel on the top to rest your left hand on while drinking a coffee or making quick turns...where will you put your hand now?’

Getting ‘used to’ something which is less practical than its predecessor is ultimately self defeating. Another owner review said it’s something like getting used to regen or one foot driving. In those cases, it can be argued quite easily the improvements actually assisted functionality and made the driving experience better. Additional turning radius, awkward turning, signal buttons always shifting location...not sure what consumer testing they did with this.

This may go down as one of the silliest fashion or function design changes ever introduced.
(Yes KiTT from Knight rider looked cool but the car had its own AI brain and was able to logically deduce faster than the Knight/Hasslehoff himself.)

I’ll keep my 2018 100D ‘with pano roof’ until Tesla provides a real 2.0 version. This to me is more of the same. Standing 25’ away one would hardly even notice the diff. Especially the same rear lights.

What I imagined plaid or a 2022 model S to be:

Attachments

• 8E30B1B5-C305-4AA5-8A8A-61B402A5B626.jpeg
    8E30B1B5-C305-4AA5-8A8A-61B402A5B626.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 105
  • B09F94C6-00E5-413B-BBBA-4644255434E2.jpeg
    B09F94C6-00E5-413B-BBBA-4644255434E2.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 66
  • B871D7E6-A32B-46C0-B12A-48D9F7C4B9E1.jpeg
    B871D7E6-A32B-46C0-B12A-48D9F7C4B9E1.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 55
  • D53E20FF-D630-4281-8546-BECAC8E138BE.jpeg
    D53E20FF-D630-4281-8546-BECAC8E138BE.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 62
  • F334454C-F816-47E5-AC41-96BEC7065410.jpeg
    F334454C-F816-47E5-AC41-96BEC7065410.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: Wol747 and AMPd
I have to agree here 100%. My 12 yr old son says it best ‘uh dad, but you always hold the wheel on the top to rest your left hand on while drinking a coffee or making quick turns...where will you put your hand now?’
Out west here that is actually deemed to be distracted driving, and I have heard of some actually getting tickets for drinking beverages while driving. I still do it, but I do have a look around first. With all this texting and driving the pendulum has swung too far it seems.

Distracted driving

(Yes KiTT from Knight rider looked cool but the car had its own AI brain and was able to logically deduce faster than the Knight/Hasslehoff himself.)
Not hard to do ;)

Getting ‘used to’ something which is less practical than its predecessor is ultimately self defeating. Another owner review said it’s something like getting used to regen or one foot driving. In those cases, it can be argued quite easily the improvements actually assisted functionality and made the driving experience better. Additional turning radius, awkward turning, signal buttons always shifting location...not sure what consumer testing they did with this.

This may go down as one of the silliest fashion or function design changes ever introduced.

I’ll keep my 2018 100D ‘with pano roof’ until Tesla provides a real 2.0 version. This to me is more of the same. Standing 25’ away one would hardly even notice the diff. Especially the same rear lights.

What I imagined plaid or a 2022 model S to be:
How to drive the yoke.

My concern is cold weather performance. I thought that cold weather is a big concern for Li batteries. The car has a system to protect against that for the high voltage battery, but what about the 12V?

Don't think so. My car has an aftermarket Li 12v and it survived the great snowpocalypse deep freeze of Texas 2020 no problem. Had it installed over a year and a half now without a single issue in all climates. It has built in BMS too which I presume Tesla's new one also has.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Don't think so. My car has an aftermarket Li 12v and it survived the great snowpocalypse deep freeze of Texas 2020 no problem. Had it installed over a year and a half now without a single issue in all climates. It has built in BMS too which I presume Tesla's new one also has.
Damage to a Li-Ion from charging it when cold is not total. It just plates and damages the electodes, reducing capacity slowly.

The new Tesla Li-Ion battery is about 1/8th the capacity of the lead acid it replaces. It will need to be charged from the main pack more often while the car is asleep. It likely has a heater to keep it above freezing, or uses a different li-ion chemistry like titanate.

The Li-Ion batteries from non-Tesla sources don't have heaters- a BMS is not a heater, and you can't reject a charge just because it's below freezing. They don't like to tell you it, but they are abusing those cells when the car is parked in cold locations and the vehicle needs to charge it (which it does many times per day).

a couple of more short clips here of an Unplugged modified Plaid at Laguna; Yoke in action: should get you kinda excited if you got one coming to your house : )

Watch Randy Pobst Go Over 150 MPH In A Tesla Model S Plaid

The article and the video artfully and skillfully skipped the part that: After using the Tesla Yoke Steering Wheel for 3 laps, Randy Pobst instructed to remove it and replace it with a rounded steering wheel:

He has adapted very well with the yoke as you can see his left thumb was pressing on the top of the semi-circle part. Regardless, his arms still looked very crooked, twisted, and uncomfortable at 11:30 mark for the right hand and 5:30 mark for the left hand.

1623822625444.png

The article and the video artfully and skillfully skipped the part that: After using the Tesla Yoke Steering Wheel for 3 laps, Randy Pobst instructed to remove it and replace it with a rounded steering wheel:

He has adapted very well with the yoke as you can see his left thumb was pressing on the top of the semi-circle part. Regardless, his arms still looked very crooked, twisted, and uncomfortable at 11:30 mark for the right hand and 5:30 mark for the left hand.

View attachment 673862
Tesla Yoke seems way too big for racing use. A Formula 1 yoke is just above two hands wide, and they probably have a much more direct steering ratio.

Not only was the idea silly, execution was poor also.

I would have loved if Tesla had re-invented HUD instead. In the ID.4 the HUD is approximately sized as an A3 paper sheet and very crisp even with sunglasses. Not to much info shown though. The binnacle is A4 size.

Windshield washer improvement: it comes out of the wiper arm, instead of squirted from under the hood. I don't know if the Raven had this change or not.
View attachment 672821

Nope my Raven has crappy squirters that piss 2 streams of fluid so hard against the windshield it jumps over the roof and does very little to clean the window. I called service for this a while back and they said they have a new design shower style sprayer but couldn't swap mine out.

• Helpful
Reactions: dark cloud