Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request/Vote to have Waze built into the Tesla map

Do you want to have Waze and its benefits included into the Tesla default map?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, because of their constant monitoring of your location EVEN WHEN PARKED, I’m not a fan of Waze. And their routing through hard to exit side streets isn’t doing it for me either.
Mirrors my thoughts as well. And just one more thing to clutter the display. If Tesla were to put it in, I would want an option to turn it off. Sure, some might like it, but for me a truly terrible experience.

Sorry, because of their constant monitoring of your location EVEN WHEN PARKED, I’m not a fan of Waze. And their routing through hard to exit side streets isn’t doing it for me either.
I am sure the monitoring part can be addressed by turning off Waze location internally when the car is off or something. however, i am sorry to hear about the you having routing issues with them. Here in NZ i have had a very good experience with them with very accurate traffic conditions, very accurate dynamics reports like cops and cameras etc... their routing can take you through the inner streets but i have always found it more accurate and faster then Google Maps.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'm not sure what Tesla would think about all the extra constant data feeds on hundreds of thousands of cars, especially if they are paying for it.
i am very sure it will help both companies in a lot of ways. I can think of so many ideas and way this can help and be implemented so Tesla will be able to think of much more than me. however, that is for the later stage, for now i am just hoping we get enough support and Tesla actually look into this seriously.

Maybe Tesla has looked into this already for all we know. Might be better to send your hopeful request to Tesla. I doubt the people in power will see it on here.:)
True that. But no point sending an individual request, thus checking the general trend here. Besides the discussion does bring to light a lot of other things. I don't have a way to contact Tesla directly as well. I have meaning to do that for another issue but the Showroom here simply does not help.

I said no. Because the car most likely already has access to all of Waze's data.

Google has owned Waze for many years now. It seems unlikely that Google would still maintain 2 separate map databases after all this time, and Tesla gets it's traffic and map data from Google. it seems even more unlikely that Google would be willing to share some of their traffic data but not all of it. So the car should already have access to everything that the Waze app has access to.

For the routing portion, although Tesla gets it's data from Google, Tesla uses it's own routing algorithm. It has to do this because it needs to be able to route you to superchargers when needed. I don't see Tesla adding the option of 3rd party routing algorithms unless they add the ability estimate battery usage and plan charging stops.

I said no. Because the car most likely already has access to all of Waze's data.

Google has owned Waze for many years now. It seems unlikely that Google would still maintain 2 separate map databases after all this time, and Tesla gets it's traffic and map data from Google. it seems even more unlikely that Google would be willing to share some of their traffic data but not all of it. So the car should already have access to everything that the Waze app has access to.

For the routing portion, although Tesla gets it's data from Google, Tesla uses it's own routing algorithm. It has to do this because it needs to be able to route you to superchargers when needed. I don't see Tesla adding the option of 3rd party routing algorithms unless they add the ability estimate battery usage and plan charging stops.

Thanks for your input and vote. this is to get a general perspective of the people. I am not here to guess and decide on behalf of Google on what they will be willing to share. In my experience the traffic condition shown on the maps of google and waze are different thus I feel they are different databases. Besides, asking for Waze stuff to be brought into the car is not for the routing capability but for the capability of reporting traffic, incidents, cop presence, traffic cameras, etc. These dynamic things are most accurate and up to date on Waze. They are super helpful and something that I believe will improve the experience and value of ownership of the car.

The major advantages of Tesla's current navigation software are the large/satellite map displays and integration with Tesla's charging network.

Compared to other navigation software (in other vehicles, Google Maps/Waze, ...) - Tesla's navigation software is missing many features present in other systems.

When Tesla released NAV 2.0 (the current navigation system), replacing the FrankeNav combination of Tesla UI, Google maps and Navigon/Garmin navigation that was introduced in 2012, Musk stated that with the new system built on open source components, Tesla would start adding the missing features into the navigation system. And that hasn't happened.

A few months ago, we purchased a Sprinter-based RV (there aren't any Tesla-based RVs - yet), which has Android Auto. While driving we use Google Maps (and can use Waze) through AA for navigation. While the display is much smaller than our S and X - the Google Maps navigation has a number of useful features not present in Tesla navigation.

We'll get warnings about upcoming traffic issues - and offered choices for alternate routes. We'll get warnings for upcoming speed traps. We can select waypoints (fuel, restaurants, ...) coming up along our route.

While Tesla should provide Apple CarPlay/Android Auto or an alternative to allow use of 3rd party apps on the console display, because of the EV features, Tesla should start adding missing navigation features - and bring the Tesla navigation system closer to the capability that will be available in the other EVs coming to the market...