Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requested feature: Pothole avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rather doubt the current sensors have the required detailed view to do this without driver input, but how cool would it be if the car could geofence driver input whilst on AP to bias the car within a lane around a hole in the road.

I have one major hole in the road that I have to remember to switch the AP off every time I pass.
One of these days I'll forget and get a bill for a new wheel and tyre.

I'm with you. The problem with "remembering" places where we make corrections is that it could be a squirrel or another car coming into our lane (sensors might help with ID'ing this one) or a mud puddle you're trying to avoid after you just washed your car. And even with 2 front facing cams, I don't think the depth resolution would be good enough to detect a couple inch drop in the road.

Like you said.. we would probably need another sensor that point directly at the road 2-3 seconds in front of you. This would almost me necessary for autonomous vehicles to avoid damaging them. (Wonder if Google cars have some way to seeing road issues).

I'm already jealous of the M3 owners (who will prob pay $5K for autonomous package).

----

I would, however, love to see better use of the voice button for things like this. "Report pothole." Then it looks for when you over-rode AP for correction (within a reasonable timeframe).

Last edited:
I rather doubt the current sensors have the required detailed view to do this without driver input, but how cool would it be if the car could geofence driver input whilst on AP to bias the car within a lane around a hole in the road.

I have one major hole in the road that I have to remember to switch the AP off every time I pass.
One of these days I'll forget and get a bill for a new wheel and tyre.
+a google for this feature but implementing it might be hard especially if the pothole is too hard to avoid at certain speeds

In mid-December, my car swerved around a big chunk of old truck tire on AP on a divided highway going about 60mph. At first, I couldn't believe it. I was demoing the car for friends, and we all had a "whoa, did you see that" moment.

I'd like to see the cars move over within the lane a foot or so whenever being passed by a truck. I always do this in other cars and when driving without AP.