Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requesting Center Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order on March 1st and the advisor said I'd get the new center console update. The next day I got assigned to a VIN of 110xxx. The delivery center confirmed that it didn't have the center console, so I asked to unassign me from it. Yesterday I got assigned a new VIN, and it was 100xxx, so I don't think it has the new console either.

Both the delivery rep and the sales rep know that I want the new console, but the VINs assigned to me didn't have the console. Does anyone know how I can get them to match me with a car that has the new console? I live in Indiana if that helps anyone.

I placed an order on March 1st and the advisor said I'd get the new center console update. The next day I got assigned to a VIN of 110xxx. The delivery center confirmed that it didn't have the center console, so I asked to unassign me from it. Yesterday I got assigned a new VIN, and it was 100xxx, so I don't think it has the new console either.

Both the delivery rep and the sales rep know that I want the new console, but the VINs assigned to me didn't have the console. Does anyone know how I can get them to match me with a car that has the new console? I live in Indiana if that helps anyone.
Not sure if it would help, but is it possible for you to tell your sales advisor that you want a vehicle that was built on or after February 7? From speaking to my advisor, Model Y's built on or after February 7 will get the new console.

Otherwise, I agree w/ @jmaddr that, if the new console is important to you, you should hold off until you can be matched with a vehicle that suits your preferences.

I refused 2 deliveries for this reason order date around Feb 20th with new delivery date now March 14-17 with new console VIN 138XX build was March 3rd FYI. Hopefully it is clean and without major defects.

How exactly do you refuse delivery? And through what process did you inquire about the exact car you were assigned? I'm potentially gearing up to refuse delivery of a specific VIN.
Just ask the SA to be unmatched with the vehicle and be placed back in queue - They will most likely match you again with the same VIN fyi then you do the same again and wait for a new build

Just tell them you are not ready, and need to delay delivery. They should re-place it into the sales queue for someone else. Seems strange these old VIN's are appearing now though. 100xxx when 130xxx+ is common.

Last edited:
is the new console that important? I can see new headlights being nice to wait for.. but I personally dont care so much about the console and I would just wrap it
Seems like it's just a matter of preference. We purchased an "off-menu" standard range Model Y, and, given what we were looking for, I had to take the old console unless I was willing to pay for options I did not want, i.e., upgraded wheels and white interior. We've got three kids under 7, and I cannot imagine the white interior lasting 5 minutes with them in the car. Also, since we opted for the standard range, we decided we were okay with the Gemini wheels, rather than taking any reduction in mileage with the Induction wheels (which we both like better).

I'm not a fan of how the old console flips open and close (as opposed to a sliding system on the new consoles), as my wife has hands of stone, and I can see her somehow breaking the flipping mechanism, but the console certainly was not a deal-breaker for us, particularly since we were not sure if the standard range Y would be offered again. As for the piano black finish, I just had the console wrapped at the time I had my windows tinted.

With that said, if I had the option of the new console at the time I placed my order, of course I would have preferred it, as I'd want the latest updates that the car has to offer, even if said update, in my eyes, is more cosmetic than functional.

Reactions: DarrenHD
is the new console that important? I can see new headlights being nice to wait for.. but I personally dont care so much about the console and I would just wrap it

Heh, I'm the opposite as I think the updated center console is more important. I like the output of the 'old' headlights as I had them on my 2020 Model 3 and I thought they put out a good spread of light on the road. With the Model Y sitting slightly higher, and the fact that you can easily adjust the aim of the headlights in the service menu, I'm not at all worried about having older headlights in my Model Y.

Everyone will obviously have a different take on this, and sure I would rather have both the updated center console and headlights, but if I had to choose one over the other then that's my personal opinion.

Center console isn't really that important to me. We already have my 3 so I wanted our Y to be as different as possible on the inside. We chose the white interior and that combined with the refreshed console and other small changes since 2018 will make the cars suitably different so that it doesn't feel like you're in the exact same car..

The center console is pretty important to me. I think the old center console, how it flips, is kind of "flimsy" and not very elegant. I like the clean, direct access to the wireless charging dock and the sliding storage door.

My advisor knows that I want the center console, but it doesn't seem like it's working since I kept being assigned to ones built before Feb 7. It's also odd that I was assigned an older vehicle the second time around. I guess I'll just keep rejecting delivery until I see one with the new console. Thanks everyone!

I'm wanting to pull the trigger on one for my wife but I'm also waiting for the tesla site to show the new console. I like the new design better than my 3.

@silvermaxd all new MY built on or after Feb 7th include the updated console, so I don't think you need to wait for the site to be updated. When you get matched to a VIN, ask your sales person for the build date and ask to be unpaired if they match you with one built Feb 6th or earlier, and you'll go back in the queue. Repeat until you have a unit with appropriate build date.

Update: I called the Service Center (who has been very helpful and responsive) and was able to find a car that was built after Feb 9. I asked them to transfer it to my Service Center for pickup and it'll be here in a week! So if you're having issues with getting a car with the new center console, perhaps you can have them check inventory and ship it over.

Reactions: Jemblue7my
I selected a car with a VIN of 106998 - is there any way to tell which newer or older features it has? I actually prefer the old center console for the additional storage assuming I can add a protector of some kind of prevent scratches, but I want to also make sure this isn't an original older car that might have significant issues and it was still available because multiple buyers have rejected it.

I selected a car with a VIN of 106998 - is there any way to tell which newer or older features it has? I actually prefer the old center console for the additional storage assuming I can add a protector of some kind of prevent scratches, but I want to also make sure this isn't an original older car that might have significant issues and it was still available because multiple buyers have rejected it.
Depends on the service advisor. In speaking with mine, she was able to tell me when my car was built, what features it had, etc.

with that said, mine is a 103xxx vin, built mid-January 2021, and it had all of the new features, save for the new console (and the new headlights). While I understand vin numbers are not necessarily issued in sequential order, your vin should have all the new features as well, although it is uncertain you’ll have the new console.