Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requesting expertise on buying from tesla.com/used vs dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

1. Is it "safer" to purchase used Model S from tesla.com/used than dealerships?
2. What are some important things to look/test for if I do go with a dealership (which seems cheaper) vs from Tesla

I did lots of digging on reddit but I was hoping to get some inputs from the community here on whether I should buy a used tesla from tesla.com/used vs local dealerships vs online dealerships (vroom, carvana)

My target car:
Model S (75 to 90D) in grey, white, or red
No accidents reported
price range $40k - $55k

Thanks in advance guys! Much appreciated, really :)

I would absolutely recommend buying through Tesla vs. a third-party dealership. First and foremost, in addition to the remaining drive-train/battery warranty, you get a Tesla used car warranty (either 2 years / up to 100k miles from the current odometer reading, or 4 years / 50k miles). Second, Tesla is generally much better at representing the options their cars have vs. a non-Tesla dealership.

You should be able to find a 90D in your price range.

Check EV-CPO (https://ev-cpo.com) as this will make it much easier to find cars being sold by Tesla and specify the features you are looking for.

For example, right now there are 16 90Ds listed (grey, red, and white) between $42.4 and $54.9.

I agree with others that Tesla is more likely going to be your best bet. About the only reasons to consider third party dealers is if the car has balance of limited warranty and you can negotiate an exceptional price versus Tesla "firm" prices. While Tesla is known to reduce/adjust prices every so often, the price at the time you are looking to buy is generally non-negotiable. It's similar to how CarMax handles pricing.

There's a guide here about buying from Tesla (there's another one on the site about buying used in general) as Tesla are making specification changes to cars when they get hold of them. There are also very mixed reviews on peoples experience of buying a used car from Tesla and some of that is covered in a the general buying used guide. Its not a long read but summarises the typical discussions points.

Buying a used or CPO car from Tesla

That site is like the other one mentioned, but as well as Tesla inventory, I also lists cars which I think are listed on cars.com, all side by side so you can make easier comparisons on what you get for your money.

I went through Tesla.
But knowing what I know now, I'd explore the sales sections on this site first for a private party to private party transaction as an option as well.

Its my understanding that with either of those two options, no chance of FSD or Life Time Supercharging being turned off (assuming those features are already on the car).

I went through a BMW for my p85 and was decently pleased. There was a remaining warranty balance on the car so that was a piece of mind. In my experience Tesla’s prices are higher than private/dealership prices. If it’s under warranty I would say it’s safe

I went through a BMW for my p85 and was decently pleased. There was a remaining warranty balance on the car so that was a piece of mind. In my experience Tesla’s prices are higher than private/dealership prices. If it’s under warranty I would say it’s safe

Hello. I’m trying to purchase one too, and I’ve found numerous cars (2017) with 12 months of warranty left... the price is 10k cheaper than Tesla! I called them four times... but no one called me
Back

Hello. I’m trying to purchase one too, and I’ve found numerous cars (2017) with 12 months of warranty left... the price is 10k cheaper than Tesla! I called them four times... but no one called me
Back
Are you SURE you are comparing apples to apples? Ex: If you are looking at a tesla sold 2016 90D vs dealer lot 2016 90D, you could look at same color, same miles, same condition, and there could be major differences to differentiate the price. The one sold by Tesla could have:
- Full Self Driving
- Unlimited Free Supercharging
- Longer warranties (full and drivetrain)
- Third gen 90kw battery pack.

The comparable one at the dealer may not have all of the cameras to even allow FSD. May have the problematic gen1 90kw pack.

Not saying that third parties may not be cheaper than those sold by Tesla, just stressing the importance of really looking at all of the factors when comparing.

Are you SURE you are comparing apples to apples? Ex: If you are looking at a tesla sold 2016 90D vs dealer lot 2016 90D, you could look at same color, same miles, same condition, and there could be major differences to differentiate the price. The one sold by Tesla could have:
- Full Self Driving
- Unlimited Free Supercharging
- Longer warranties (full and drivetrain)
- Third gen 90kw battery pack.

The comparable one at the dealer may not have all of the cameras to even allow FSD. May have the problematic gen1 90kw pack.

Not saying that third parties may not be cheaper than those sold by Tesla, just stressing the importance of really looking at all of the factors when comparing.

Finally I got an answer! I’ve been looking for somebody to tell me, why should I justify Tesla’s extra 10k... now I know why! Thank you

Bought mine from a 3rd party dealer but was mostly looking to buy from Tesla. Just happened to find one that was close, mostly everything I wanted, and a pretty decent price. Almost immediately did about 3k in repairs and its been great since. Not positive but those repairs may have been covered if bought through Tesla with a warranty. Also mine still has premium connectivity and unlimited supercharging, although we don't really supercharge much. I think buying from Tesla has some advantages.