Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Required Safety devices NEC 2020 code Powerwall installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that's what he just said in the previous post...

Cheers, Wayne
Just a data point confirming what he said since the verbiage is hard to follow…. The more time I read it, the better I understand it

Anyone know of a plug on breaker that is “listed and identified as interactive”? Sounds like a unicorn 🦄

Isn’t the gateway energized with 12v from the powerwalls, well until the powerwalls shut off. I guess if all the powerwall breakers are opened, the gateway will still be powered by the 12v line on the data bus. If you hit the off switch on the powerwalls while in off grid mode you will have to jump start the system or reconnect to the grid.

Last edited:
Just a data point confirming what he said since the verbiage is hard to follow…. The more time I read it, the better I understand it

Anyone know of a plug on breaker that is “listed and identified as interactive”? Sounds like a unicorn 🦄

Isn’t the gateway energized with 12v from the powerwalls, well until the powerwalls shut off. I guess if all the powerwall breakers are opened, the gateway will still be powered by the 12v line on the data bus. If you hit the off switch on the powerwalls while in off grid mode you will have to jump start the system or reconnect to the grid.
The misreading of this sentence is common, but see how it starts it refers to interactive inverters not interactive breakers. The UL standard for breakers does not recognize an interactive breaker.

Listed plug-in-type circuit breakers backfed
from electric power sources that are listed and identified as
interactive
shall be permitted to omit the additional fastener
normally required by 408.36(D) for such applications.

The 12v energizes the gateway, and the line voltage is a safety check the GW makes I think. Lack of either will cause it to shutdown but in slightly different ways.

is this @h2ofun house?
7F759E5E-206F-4E50-B09F-3BBCD92880FB.jpeg

Reactions: h2ofun