Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Required to turn off mobile access by Tesla Body Shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my second time at a body shop, but the first time that I've been asked by anyone to turn off mobile access from the car.

It appears to be a new policy from Tesla with their certified shops although not all are following it.
Seems like they had some issues with people messing with the car when it was at the shop and instituted the new policy.

Feels weird to not be able to check on the car. Has anyone run into this?

Never was requested to do this when I've brought my 3 into service. I do recall right after the dashcam functionality was added I had brought my car in for service and it recorded the inside of the service area while the techs were working on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they temporarily remove your USB flash drive as standard procedure now when servicing your vehicle.

Never was requested to do this when I've brought my 3 into service. I do recall right after the dashcam functionality was added I had brought my car in for service and it recorded the inside of the service area while the techs were working on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they temporarily remove your USB flash drive as standard procedure now when servicing your vehicle.
Tesla service doesn’t request you to do it, they just do it (unless someone forgets). They turn it back on when you pick up your car (unless someone forgets, then you will need to do it).

Reactions: MXWing
I do not object to remote access and dash cams being turned off or disabled by service be it Tesla Service Center or a body shop. I usually unplug my dash cams before I turn the car over to service, so there's less risk of damage to a connector. Then I plug them back in before I drive away. Its not worth the effort to argue with service to leave them enabled anyway. I don't see that I have any right to expect them to not disable remote access or dash cams. Some folks see it differently. I want to avoid anything that I can that could piss off someone working on my car.

Reactions: MXWing
I don’t mind when they shut off access at the Tesla service centre.
However, an independent body shop or some other place is different. If they want access turned off, that’s fine, but I would put restrict the speed at least. Maybe valet mode.
My access is always disabled at the SC but when it went to an independent body shop I set speed restriction to 50 and received quite a few notifications that the speed limit was at the limit. The local road where the body shop was is 40MPH max. And I also noticed that they didn’t even move the car to repair it for five days.

Reactions: wenkan
You can’t log in to the Dashcam and view it remotely, so watching the guys work on your car from your home is not going to happen. And you can’t have Sentry Mode on if the car is unlocked, and it obviously needs to be unlocked while they are working on it. So about the only thing you can do is possibly see if the car has been moved, and if the battery is draining. I don’t see what the issue is with leaving remote access enabled.

Reactions: wenkan
OCR1, respectfully, the issue with Remote Access remaining enabled is that owners can honk the horn, turn the lights on/off, open/close the trunk, lock/unlock the doors, turn the A/C on/off and start a software install. Those might not seem like a big deal to the average person, but its not fun when the tech may be trying to work without the distraction and the horn scaring the bejeebies out of him and all over the floor. Additionally, what if the tech is working on the electrical system or climate system and someone not on site is messin' with that system? Both confusing and counterproductive. What's the tech supposed to do, track the owner down and ask if he/she is doing it and please stop? Its much easier to make sure the owner can't mess with the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: bijan and wenkan
I've had my model 3 in at a Tesla approved body shop. They did not disable remote access but they had to take it in to the Tesla SC for something during the repairs and Tesla disabled remote access during their work. They did the same when I went to that SC for something else directly. It was fun using teslafi to passively monitor what the body shop was doing with the car (heating the car I'm guessing to get the paint to dry) and no they didn't go on any joy rides. Which I would have caught with the odometer anyways.

If you are working at a shop, the last thing that you want is for someone to mess with the car while you are working on it. I also wouldn't want people staring at me, recording every motion that I make, and then calling up complaining if my battery is a little low.

It's really high liability to Tesla to leave it enabled.