Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requirements for updating via app without home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in an apartment in the city, so I do not have access to a home charger, so my tesla stays on the street where I live. Yet, I have installed a small 4G router in my Tesla to have internet reception at home and avoid issues with remote connectivity when travelling abroad. Anyway, I was just wondering what the requirements are in regards to software updates using this method? If I initiate a software download through this connection, then leave the car, I do not seem to be getting any notice on my app afterwards. So I was wondering if this method works at all?

Does the Tesla need to be plugged in/awake/etcetera before it downloads the updates and I receive a notification via the app (in other words, does it need a home/garage location)? Or am I forced to stay at the car every time I see an update coming, wait for it to download and let it update from there and not via the app? It could be nice to update when ready, not being forced to be by the car all the time…

Solution
The requirements are that your car needs access to WiFi for the duration of the download. I’m not sure if you need WiFi during the installation. It doesn’t matter where the car is located. When an update is available, your car will get pinged via cellular, and the car will then attempt to connect to WiFi to download the update. If no WiFi is available, you’ll see the yellow download icon indicating that an update is waiting to be downloaded, and you need to connect to WiFi to complete the download. Once downloaded, you’ll get the notification on your app that the update is ready to install.
The requirements are that your car needs access to WiFi for the duration of the download. I’m not sure if you need WiFi during the installation. It doesn’t matter where the car is located. When an update is available, your car will get pinged via cellular, and the car will then attempt to connect to WiFi to download the update. If no WiFi is available, you’ll see the yellow download icon indicating that an update is waiting to be downloaded, and you need to connect to WiFi to complete the download. Once downloaded, you’ll get the notification on your app that the update is ready to install.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you EVRider-FL for your thorough and helpful answer.

In this recent particular instance, it seemed like the car ended up updating itself without any interference from my point, yet I didn't at any time get any notification in the app. Previously, I had to be present by the car before anything happened, but as you said, perhaps this had been due to poor wi-fi connectivity. It makes sense what you write, and I will see if there are changes by the next update. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Your car will still get updates over LTE, just far less than if you are on WiFi. My car has been off of WiFi since mid-December (to avoid the holiday update) and I have still gotten offered two updates. Yes, they were downloaded over LTE with a popup to schedule installation.

Upvote 0
Your car will still get updates over LTE, just far less than if you are on WiFi. My car has been off of WiFi since mid-December (to avoid the holiday update) and I have still gotten offered two updates. Yes, they were downloaded over LTE with a popup to schedule installation.
In your case the update was downloaded over LTE because it contains security fixes to prevent an attacker from hijacking your car e.t.c. Late last year there was a security patch send out because a hacker could take over the vehicle by watching the handshake between your phone key and the car. There was also another security fix where visiting a website which contains malicious code would take over the vehicle.

Upvote 0
In your case the update was downloaded over LTE because it contains security fixes to prevent an attacker from hijacking your car e.t.c. Late last year there was a security patch send out because a hacker could take over the vehicle by watching the handshake between your phone key and the car. There was also another security fix where visiting a website which contains malicious code would take over the vehicle.
Oh, that was something I didn't realise. That makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0