Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requirements for VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, I placed an order for LR with EAP last week (yay!) and was wondering about the must requirements to get a VIN.

On the site it says the next step is “prepare for delivery” and it’s asking for proof of insurance and payment method details like bank name etc. which I don’t have yet.

Can I wait until the VIN is generated for these or VIN generation will get delayed? There is also a step “schedule your appointment” before VIN and I can’t seem to get to that without providing the above details.

Folks, I placed an order for LR with EAP last week (yay!) and was wondering about the must requirements to get a VIN.

On the site it says the next step is “prepare for delivery” and it’s asking for proof of insurance and payment method details like bank name etc. which I don’t have yet.

Can I wait until the VIN is generated for these or VIN generation will get delayed? There is also a step “schedule your appointment” before VIN and I can’t seem to get to that without providing the above details.
Have you been assigned a DA yet? Your advisor would be able to assist you with all your questions. If you haven’t been contacted yet most likely it’ll be very soon.

What if someone does not have any insurance yet?
I haven’t owned a car in 15 years, and am in the Oct-Dec delivery window..
Will absence of insurance info cause me a delay?
Should I get a policy ready with an estimated start date in November just so I can put something into the tesla site?

Should I get a policy ready with an estimated start date in November just so I can put something into the tesla site?
Very easy. Shop around for insurance and let them know your situation. I’m sure they’ll be able to guide you in the right direction.

It's amazing that Tesla still can't get this right, after 5 years. It's impossible to get insurance without a VIN for a vehicle to insure, as I explained to them 5 years ago... they said "oh, you can give us the insurance information for your other car". Of course I didn't own a car at the time; they are idiots. (I managed to get them to give me a VIN so that I could get insurance, but I had to have local intervention by the head of the NY store.)

There is of course no legal requirement for a car buyer to have insurance (you only need insurance in order to *drive* the car), but it is illegal to get insurance without having anything to insure, so Tesla's paperwork procedure makes no legal sense.

Tesla's paperwork incompetence is bordering on the legendary now. It's truly spectacular, in a really bad way. I've never seen anything so incompetent.

They *are* going to be destroyed as soon as some other company manages to mass produce an electric car -- luckily, that's still more than two years away.

If you can find a way to get an insurance policy without a VIN, do so. Talk to your insurance agent.

But you probabaly can't. Being in NY, I couldn't. You're in NY. Raise holy hell with Tesla and demand that they issue a VIN number without asking for insurance information.

Threaten to sue if necessary; it seems to be the only thing which gets the attention of the losers in Tesla management.

If necessary, pay your insurance agent to write to / talk to the people at Tesla. You can get a letter saying that you are going to have insurance even if they can't actually issue the policy without a VIN number.

I got help from the manager of the NY store when this happened to me five years ago. It is truly appalling that Tesla is still making the same mistakes it made 5 years ago.

Last edited:
If you can find a way to get an insurance policy without a VIN, do so. Talk to your insurance agent.

But you probabaly can't. Being in NY, I couldn't. You're in NY. Raise holy hell with Tesla and demand that they issue a VIN number without asking for insurance information.

Threaten to sue if necessary; it seems to be the only thing which gets the attention of the losers in Tesla management.

If necessary, pay your insurance agent to write to / talk to the people at Tesla. You can get a letter saying that you are going to have insurance even if they can't actually issue the policy without a VIN number.

I got help from the manager of the NY store when this happened to me five years ago. It is truly appalling that Tesla is still making the same mistakes it made 5 years ago.

Thanks
At the moment I am only 2 weeks out from configuration/ordering (no reservation) , so I’m nowhere near expecting the car.
I was just worried if my order will sit in some sort of a limbo and not progress w/o insurance info.. which it sounds like.. maybe.
I’ll bother the sales guy soon then, thanks.

Stats Farm has written binders on new cars before the paperwork has been processed for me. They then convert it to a policy when you bring the paperwork and car to them. They have done this in several states for me, and I doubt if most companies aren’t the same. I just call them up.

It's amazing that Tesla still can't get this right, after 5 years. It's impossible to get insurance without a VIN for a vehicle to insure, as I explained to them 5 years ago... they said "oh, you can give us the insurance information for your other car". Of course I didn't own a car at the time; they are idiots. (I managed to get them to give me a VIN so that I could get insurance, but I had to have local intervention by the head of the NY store.)

There is of course no legal requirement for a car buyer to have insurance (you only need insurance in order to *drive* the car), but it is illegal to get insurance without having anything to insure, so Tesla's paperwork procedure makes no legal sense.

Tesla's paperwork incompetence is bordering on the legendary now. It's truly spectacular, in a really bad way. I've never seen anything so incompetent.

They *are* going to be destroyed as soon as some other company manages to mass produce an electric car -- luckily, that's still more than two years away.
Fortunately, I have another car (2, actually) and can provide the insurance. I am in no hurry though, can live with Nov delivery... have to get rid of one car soon.

Put in your current insurance info. They just want to see that your insured.
Question: I have upload my current insurance in .pdf, but it doesn't seem to be moving it to the Completed Tasks area (with my registration and financing info). I've seen people post that "backend data doesn't always sync with Account info." I've already been contacted to select dates that I CANNOT make for delivery; not a date or time of actual delivery. I'm a little nervous that they won't move forward unless they see/confirm the Insurance file.

Question: I have upload my current insurance in .pdf, but it doesn't seem to be moving it to the Completed Tasks area (with my registration and financing info). I've seen people post that "backend data doesn't always sync with Account info." I've already been contacted to select dates that I CANNOT make for delivery; not a date or time of actual delivery. I'm a little nervous that they won't move forward unless they see/confirm the Insurance file.

I wouldn't worry about this. I have also uploaded my insurance information, and about a week later it showed up in my source code. My account still shows the insurance information in the next steps tab as well.