Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requiring keycard on 2021.32.10?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I got the most recent update 2021.32.10 a few days ago and ever since, it's requiring the key card be scanned in the center console. I have the phone setup as it works to enter the car without the card. Any suggestions or anyone else having this issue?

Does the phone work without using the app to unlock it? If so, are you sure the car is locked? Did you update the OS on your phone recently?

Check the Bluetooth settings for the Tesla app, and if everything looks right, go to the Controls > Locks screen and delete your phone key, then re-add it.

I've had intermittent problems with unlocking the car (have to open the app and wait for it to wake up, which will be more fun when the rain starts here in the great northwet...) and the same issue much less frequently (needing the card to drive despite just unlocking and getting in with the phone...) Did find out that the door handles can withstand a lot of force...

I did the soft reset in the car, toggled blue tooth on the phone, and deleted the app and reloaded it.
Took it in for other issues and messaged the SA about this issue. He said that it seems to be operating as it should... (his words) and that hopefully the upcoming updates will help. Nothing he could do at this time. This was about month ago and two minor updates later, same issues with the door locks but haven't had to use the card to 'start' the car...

Love the performance/handling but hate the quality/issues to the same degree.

I have not taken a tesla update in about a year, now. still running pre-xmas 2020 sw (car is not shown at an angle on the lcd - that's how old it is).

mostly, the walk-up BLE unlock works pretty well, but the last 2 weeks, its been horrible. from the trunk area, it ignores me. have to walk to the side of the car and even then I have to open the phone to get it to see the phone.

no phone changes, no app changes, no updates done. no OTA updates of anything. I park in the same spot and nothing changed. outside in parking lots, same thing, problems getting the m3 to see my phone and ACK it.

wonder what's going on? unless there are silent OTA updates happening (maybe that's a thing?) - I'm at a loss to understand why the regression.

its enough to make me think its time to buy a FOB and be done with the phone crap. damn. this is a safety issue, too; if I'm out late at night and NEED to get into my car fast, I cant fool around with this crap.

Sometimes turning BT off and on again helps
or removing the phone as a key and re adding it
Body blocking BT signal, phone it back pocket

If you have an Android phone with Tesla app and NFC you should be able to unlock the car using your phone
Hold your phone up to the drivers side B pillar, the same way as if you were using the key card.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I can report that I'm seeing this now. For me the timing seems to have aligned to when I updated my iPhone XR to iOS 15,0, however that could be coincidence. Both times removing the phone and then re-adding it from the locks menu has resolved the issue. We'll see if it comes back a 3rd time.

I can report that I'm seeing this now. For me the timing seems to have aligned to when I updated my iPhone XR to iOS 15,0, however that could be coincidence. Both times removing the phone and then re-adding it from the locks menu has resolved the issue. We'll see if it comes back a 3rd time.
Do you have "Background App Refresh" enabled? I think that is a must for reliable operation.

I opened the app on my phone and it forced me to do an update. So now I have the new look app on my phone and it hasn't happened since. Apparently it was the app and not the car...

This happened to me on the first day we bought it. I realized it was b/c although I had the app on my phone I had closed it. Once I opened the app problem solved. You can't just have the app on your phone you have to open it...just like say Apple Music app...you can't play music until you open the app!