TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Reroute, leap-frog, or proceed?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Missile Toad, Apr 27, 2017.

?

If your travels would take you by the Supercharger, by the most direct route, how do you compensate

Poll closed Jun 26, 2017.
  1. Divert to an alternate route with fully operational Superchargers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Charge enough at a preceding charger to leapfrog past the 'out' Supercharger

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  3. Use alternatives to Tesla charging (e.g. CHAdeMO)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Take an ICE vehicle instead

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Just go to the Tesla Supercharger anyway, and queue up if needed for the slower chargers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

So, periodically the Tesla Nav shows a site as having 'Reduced Service'. Lets say, for example, a site in the country shows reduced service, say Gustine, California (between LA and San Francisco).

2. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

If you can reach another supercharger on your way, why would you stop anyway? Always better to get to a supercharger with as low a charge as possible.

• Like x 1
  3. arg

arg Supporting Member

In the scenario given, you are having to charge close to full and/or drive slowly in order to reach the more distant supercharger. The assumption is that the problem supercharger would give you your most efficient charging (eg. you would have done two 10-60% charges, you now need to do a single 10-100% charge).

I haven't voted in the poll, since I might do any of those things (apart from taking an ICE) depending on the viability of those options.

The most recent time it happened to me I used CHAdeMO and a stop at a more distant supercharger, but on that occasion:
    • The alternate route would be an extreme diversion in both distance and congestion, I would only have taken it if desperate
    • Even 100% charge before leaving home wouldn't have allowed me to drive the whole route without charging, so the 'charge more' option wasn't viable.
    • The CHAdeMO (and the 2nd Supercharger that I couldn't reach without charging) were both at service areas directly on my route, while the problem supercharger was at least a 10min diversion just to reach it. If the problem supercharger had been directly on the route I'd probably have dropped by to see how it was doing.
    • The CHAdeMO would actually have done the job on its own quite conveniently, but it was a single charger at that location and another Model S turned up soon after me wanting to make the same trip, so I departed once I had enough to get to the 2nd supercharger, so as to let the other guy get at the CHAdeMO. A 5 min stop at that 2nd supercharger then completed the job.
    So I think the answer to the question is "it depends".

• Like x 1
  4. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

I don't see how there can be one answer to this, since each route seems so totally different as far as what the distances are and what kinds of charging there is available and therefore what kind of backup plan you could use. This is very region dependent, too, since poll choices like that CHAdeMO thing don't apply to me. It's about 400 miles to the nearest CHAdeMO I could use. There is a really big variety of the charging landscape across the country/world.

5. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

This totally is a 'it depends' situation. Maybe think back to the last time you might have encountered the situation (if ever). As a frequent traveler of the mid-west, I'm betting I might see the situation about once every five years -- though perhaps more often, as Tesla has more SuperChargers along a given route (especially after this build out). I sense, that after mid-2018, the average distance between useful (little or no diversion) Superchargers is going from 130 miles down to 60-85... so if the same poll questions are asked in 2018, even more people will pick the 'leap-frog' option.