Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resale of 2020 Model S LR? Anyone done it recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone sold their 2020 Model S LR? Did you have the upgraded wheels, paint, or FSD?

I'm trying to understand the value of my 2020 red Model S LR + FSD because, for a variety of reasons I won't go into on this forum, I may be in the market to sell it.

I understand that with the current lead time being like 6+ months, that the resale market for Teslas is quite hot.

Thanks for any input that you may have.

I went through similiar earlier this summer. I had a 2017 S. 2020 may be a bit differnt but here is what I did
- Checked completed ebay listings
- Got the online quotes from Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, etc.
- Checked KBB.com for the valuation.

Put ads on Craiglist ($5.00 each) and Ebay ($55 flat fee, no % of sale for commission. Not sure if its still like that). Within one week, got full asking price from a private buyer that was THOUSANDS more than the Vroom, Carvana, Carmax prices. Guy saw the ad on ebay, contacted me through ebay, wired me full funds with car sight unseen in person. (i provided him tons of photos, plus car was low miles and still under 100% Tesla warranty). He handled shipping. 2 days later shipping truck showed up, took car away. (I fedexed him the title after funds arrived). But I found for my case, the KBB valuation to be right on target with current insane used market. And selling private was EASY in this market. Demand is HIGH and people WILL pay premium to get your car NOW.

Reactions: neil_ca
I sold my 2021 pre-refresh LR+ in August. I got quotes from Carmax, Carvana, and CarBuyerUSA. CarBuyerUSA was significantly better than the others.

I also listed it on Autotrader but they gave me a run around for a week and a half making me prove I owned the car. I gave up on them and sold it to CarBuyerUSA.

I went through similiar earlier this summer. I had a 2017 S. 2020 may be a bit differnt but here is what I did
- Checked completed ebay listings
- Got the online quotes from Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, etc.
- Checked KBB.com for the valuation.

Put ads on Craiglist ($5.00 each) and Ebay ($55 flat fee, no % of sale for commission. Not sure if its still like that). Within one week, got full asking price from a private buyer that was THOUSANDS more than the Vroom, Carvana, Carmax prices. Guy saw the ad on ebay, contacted me through ebay, wired me full funds with car sight unseen in person. (i provided him tons of photos, plus car was low miles and still under 100% Tesla warranty). He handled shipping. 2 days later shipping truck showed up, took car away. (I fedexed him the title after funds arrived). But I found for my case, the KBB valuation to be right on target with current insane used market. And selling private was EASY in this market. Demand is HIGH and people WILL pay premium to get your car NOW.
Thanks for the details! Turns out KBB isn't providing a valuation. Perhaps they don't have enough data.

I'll give Ebay a try.

As another data point, I sold my 2020 LR (not +) to a local dealer at the end of June for $77.5k. My car had FSD, blue with white interior, 10k miles. In retrospect, I could have probably done much better, but at the time it seemed like a pretty solid offer. I ordered a Refreshed MS the same day, and the total price was $84k (black/white/no FSD). Seemed to me to be a really good upgrade for $6500. Of course, here we are in October and I'm still waiting for my new MS LR... My EDD is for late December (end-of-year push), and I'm hoping it ends up being a 2022 VIN. Driving my 2021 Chevy Silverado in the meanwhile...

I realize this is a Model S forum, but wanted to share my experience. I'm selling my 2018 Model LR Model 3 with 36K miles tomorrow for $45K. I took the car to three dealers and they all offered $44K+ and so I went with the first to give me $45K. What I don't understand is why I can get that much when a new Model 3 LR is $45K with a December delivery. Either way its not my problem. BTW I'm using the fund to buy a Model 3 Performance which I should receive next month. This was a no brainer in my book - new car, new warranty, no scratches, longer range, less kinks(?).

Am I missing something, are the older M3s better in some not so obvious way?

I realize this is a Model S forum, but wanted to share my experience. I'm selling my 2018 Model LR Model 3 with 36K miles tomorrow for $45K. I took the car to three dealers and they all offered $44K+ and so I went with the first to give me $45K. What I don't understand is why I can get that much when a new Model 3 LR is $45K with a December delivery. Either way its not my problem. BTW I'm using the fund to buy a Model 3 Performance which I should receive next month. This was a no brainer in my book - new car, new warranty, no scratches, longer range, less kinks(?).

Am I missing something, are the older M3s better in some not so obvious way?
most of what you are seeing is part of overall out of control used car market. Demand vs supply. Some people dont want to wait many weeks/months for a new order to arrive. (Thats if they are lucky...Many of the S's have been constantly pushed back further from originally promised dates). They want NOW, and are willing to pay NOW