Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resale of High Mileage Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang,

I'm mulling around this idea of buying a much nicer home, which comes with the caveat of being 55 miles away from work. I'd have to make this drive 5x a week. You know where this is going.

Some rough math, we're looking at nearly 30k miles a year. I haven't seen too many examples of a high mile, more new, tesla for sale. How do these hold up? Considering the battery warranty would be out within 4 years, I'm curious just how that depreciates things. If I did buy this house, I'd definitely hold on to the tesla for as long as I could, but if I wanted to sell/trade in year 4/5, what might that look like? Anyone have experience? :)

*this is under the impression I'd start this adventure with a NEW tesla with 0 miles to begin*

Thanks!

Reactions: IdaX
Hey gang,

I'm mulling around this idea of buying a much nicer home, which comes with the caveat of being 55 miles away from work. I'd have to make this drive 5x a week. You know where this is going.

Some rough math, we're looking at nearly 30k miles a year. I haven't seen too many examples of a high mile, more new, tesla for sale. How do these hold up? Considering the battery warranty would be out within 4 years, I'm curious just how that depreciates things. If I did buy this house, I'd definitely hold on to the tesla for as long as I could, but if I wanted to sell/trade in year 4/5, what might that look like? Anyone have experience? :)

*this is under the impression I'd start this adventure with a NEW tesla with 0 miles to begin*

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with selling a high mileage tesla but this sounds like a perfect use case for an EV...you would save a TON of money on gas.

My dad had a similar commute (well before EVs) and when he bought a car he looked at it as a sunk cost...meaning the car would be worth nothing once he was done with it. Basically drive it as long as possible. Doesn't take long to rack up 200,000+ miles with a commute like that. But even after 200,000 miles in a Tesla in a nice climate like yours, I would expect it to still have decent value.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and djjimgreen
I don't have any experience with selling a high mileage tesla but this sounds like a perfect use case for an EV...you would save a TON of money on gas.

My dad had a similar commute (well before EVs) and when he bought a car he looked at it as a sunk cost...meaning the car would be worth nothing once he was done with it. Basically drive it as long as possible. Doesn't take long to rack up 200,000+ miles with a commute like that. But even after 200,000 miles in a Tesla in a nice climate like yours, I would expect it to still have decent value.

For sure! My ONLY option in this scenario is EV. I couldn't imagine gas as a factor with miles like this.

Reactions: IdaX