Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resale value - 2017 Model Tesla with AP2 built in 2016 vs. 2017 model built in 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the fact the car was built in 2016 vs. 2017 effect the resale value?

Understand Tesla is offering 3% savings for the few they have left.

Is there any difference in the value a few years down the road.

Not looking to lease or finance.

I don't think anyone can quantify this. Tesla will have you believe that there is NO difference because that's not how they differentiate cars. Many believe psychologically there is a difference and when you go to sell the car buyers will put a premium on model year based on past buying experience. Also now people are saying the quality control of end of quarter cars may be lacking and to wait for the early 2017's if you can.

I don't think anyone can quantify this. Tesla will have you believe that there is NO difference because that's not how they differentiate cars. Many believe psychologically there is a difference and when you go to sell the car buyers will put a premium on model year based on past buying experience. Also now people are saying the quality control of end of quarter cars may be lacking and to wait for the early 2017's if you can.
Thank you. Appreciate the feedback

I believe the 3% savings are for cars in inventory which have build dates in November or earlier.

Regardless of how Tesla values cars, I think that if you plan to sell the car privately down the road and you are stacking a Nov 2016 car against a Jan 2017 car then the buyer is still going to pay a small premium for what he/she perceives to be a newer car.

What do you all think about resale for Model S's in general with the new model 3 coming out? The reason I ask is right now I could basically trade-in my car for a great price but am concerned that the depreciation will increase tremendously in the next few years...

I think Model S will essentially always be a different type buyer than Model 3. Resale will be unaffected IMO. It may even go UP in resale value as more people get into the EV market and see how great they are-especially since yours has unlimited supercharging for life. Resale values of Mercedes S class doesn't go down when they add a new C class car to the line up

I think Model S will essentially always be a different type buyer than Model 3. Resale will be unaffected IMO. It may even go UP in resale value as more people get into the EV market and see how great they are-especially since yours has unlimited supercharging for life.

Tesla has not said if free supercharging will pass with the vehicle once they implement the supercharging fee. To me, that means it will not pass with the vehicle but only time will tell.

Resale values of Mercedes S class doesn't go down when they add a new C class car to the line up

The S-Class models are some of the finest luxury vehicles on the road and are equipped with more technological features than anyone could ever ask for, but they unfortunately do not have the greatest resale value among Mercedes-Benz. The S-Class models rank last among Classes C,E,M,R, and S. The S600 has the worst residual value of all models in these classes with a resale value of 20% MSRP after three years and the S63 AMG is only slightly better at 23% MSRP after three years.

The Mercedes C class has the best resale value. The C250 has the best residual value among all models with a resale value of 42% of the MSRP after three years. The C350 (41% MRSP after three years) and C63 AMG (36% MRSP after three years) also do very well for used Mercedes-Benz.

I expect that we will see similar numbers with the Tesla S compared to the 3 as Mercedes S vs. C.

I would tell anyone buying a Tesla to expect significant depreciation.

I'd say again that the Model 3 won't effect resale value of MS just as C class Benz doesn't effect resale value of S class as @Beero asked. I'd guess that most high end cars depreciate more than low end cars simply because once in private hands it's difficult to find buyers at the higher end.

I'd say again that the Model 3 won't effect resale value of MS just as C class Benz doesn't effect resale value of S class
Your mistake is that you only think about new models. But the simple reality is you can always buy a C-Class. That's the fundamental difference when it comes to Tesla. You cannot buy a Model 3 today. You don't have a choice. The Model 3 isn't just a new model, it's a completely new segment for Tesla. People who brought a S-Class brought it despite a C&E-Class existing. People who buy a Model S might buy it because there isn't any other comparable sedan out there.

I'd say there is and will be much more of a demand for a MS than an S class, there is no substitute (sorry Porsche) at this point and won't be for a while.Tesla can't make them fast enough and that won't change especially if the faster supercharging comes along. They will continue to attract a more upscale market that wants the comfort and safety that a larger car will always provide.