Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resale value, and replacement ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was (am) toying with idea of trading my 20 MYP with 11k miles back in after a few months ownership on a bigger SUV more suited for long trips towing. My reasoning was the range on my car is only about 260 but towing or using a bike rack more than cuts that in half and it just doesnt take the place of a SUV hauler like I hoped it could

my wife has a 16 grand Cherokee overland, which also isn’t bigger than the Y inside. While I love the looks of the GJC, is aging and not sure how much longer that will be trouble free… it’s got the air suspension with 18 modes which she never used to go to the mall anyways and that’s a expensive fix if it fails ..

so i could trade in either but the MYP trade right now is more than I even paid for it ! $62k and I think I could get them to $63-64k on trade. That’s insane so I’m tempted to do it. I wonder how well the MYP will still hold resale in a year or so? Any thoughts ?

I drove the Audi SQ7 which has the 500 hp twin turbo v8 and was told by the sales people it’s the absolute rocket ship suv and I’d be so impressed… lol. Honestly it’s a dog compared to the mYP.
I’ll bet my MYP would leave the SQ7 off the horizon in a drag race from any speed to any speed. And even the Audi with the ZF 8 speed trans same as in thr Lambo Urus felt like it took ages to shift. I’m just used to NOT SHIFTING at all lol. At one point at the Audi showroom I was a freakin Tesla sales person, I had a bunch of Audi sales guys gathered around my car and answering questions. I told them just to drive it and they would be amazed but none of them would. They didn’t even drive it to quote me on a trade in.

I think maybe I sell the jeep, keep the Tesla and just buy a normal Q7 to replace jeep.

just rambling here. I’m surprised how owning this Tesla has pretty much ruined even super car SUVs for me now. I wish it had more range but turning it back in is going to be harder than I thought

I just hope when time does come maybe in a year I can still get a lot of resale out of this MYP. It’s clearly not the right car for a family of 5 that needs to tow occasionally, but it’s so much more fun to drive it’s surprisingly hard for me to switch to something more suitable .. somebody must of slipped me some kool aid in my beer as I never thought I’d sh1t talk an Audi SQ7

Last edited:
Man the jeep has been spot on tho. I do fear it’s long term like +7 years ownership experience as that’s when it would come off the extended b2b warranty I bought. It has a very $$ quadra track all wheel drive system with all sorts Of air suspension to raise and lower which is very expensive to fix And we don’t need that. Plus it’s just old architecture 2 row SUV design

telluride definitely hits a sweet spot I’ll go drive one. I wish it packed more engine than it does tho, a heavy beast like that with a minivan motor is meh… but I think they are still leading 3 row SUV world in the below 60k group.

I’ll take closer look at Q7 and see what I’m going to do.

if I keep the Y I just hope it doesn’t loose too much value in next year to 2 when the supply chain issues are all fixed and. Tesla becomes readily available

Reactions: MG535
I wish that was the case for “older” model 3s!

sell both? Get something nice but affordable and wait for a few years for a proper towing e truck. If you have the patience :D

First time I saw a Y tow yesterday or any Tesla for that matter. Was towing an aero V box trailer.

I also had a Grand Cherokee Overland 14 and that thing was a beast. Over 100k miles and never a hiccup from the 8 speed or the air suspension. The thing with Jeep’s is the fuel economy. We were spending $400 a month on fuel. The downside to the Audi is resale value falls off the cliff and repairs are expensive. My boss has a Q7 and bought the maintenance package upfront. He wasn’t happy at 50k miles (when the maintenance plan ran out) that it needed new brakes. $1800

I also had a Grand Cherokee Overland 14 and that thing was a beast. Over 100k miles and never a hiccup from the 8 speed or the air suspension. The thing with Jeep’s is the fuel economy. We were spending $400 a month on fuel. The downside to the Audi is resale value falls off the cliff and repairs are expensive. My boss has a Q7 and bought the maintenance package upfront. He wasn’t happy at 50k miles (when the maintenance plan ran out) that it needed new brakes. $1800
The issue with “my boss” stories is that they never reflect the accurate cost of ownership. Did they get rotors & pads at a dealership? Did they actually need rotors? Could they have gone to an Indy? Etc etc

The more time-sensitive and/or price-insensitive someone is, they more they pay

Best time to sell your Y would be NOW!! We will likely never see this phenomenon again where the used car prices trump new cars. However, I do see that the price of the used Teslas will remain strong because the real "affordable" Tesla is still years out. Yes, there is going to be more choices out there in a couple of years but as Model Y owners, we know, nothing drives like it and has the charging infrastructure to support the ecosystem. There are people who will be more than happy to get into a 3-year old Model Y for 70-80% of sticker, especially if it has FSD.

With that said, it's comical how much the dealers will charge for new rotors/pads/sensors on MBZ/BMW/Audi/Porsche. I was quoted $2400 per axle for my P-car. They offered me a full detail service if I got both axles done. I said no thanks and bought all OEM Porsche parts online for all 4 corners for less than a $1k. It was a 3 hour job, in my garage, on a Sunday, over half-a-sixpack of my favorite IPA. I put the money saved towards some Disney stock and made 30%. ;) It more than paid for my time and the beer, not to mention $$ leftover that I put towards the next set of brakes parts.

Last edited:
The issue with “my boss” stories is that they never reflect the accurate cost of ownership. Did they get rotors & pads at a dealership? Did they actually need rotors? Could they have gone to an Indy? Etc etc

Dealership quotes on break job are always through the roof.
2007 Tundra at dealer was always $1,200. And those rotors were a joke, warping them every 18k. 2017 Ridgeline rotors survived 60k - $1,100.
Ended up doing myself with better rotors and pads + my job $350-400 most.

I fear now is actually best time to sell the myp but im sacrificing range and utility for all out performance and auto pilot

I could trade and get a new Q7, or a telluride plus $10k back …

this is a tough 1

Well he is super cheap and did need new rotors. Brakes are expensive from a dealership these days. I personally always went to a dealership because I didn’t want some bone head lifting my Jeep without deactivating the air ride. We can go on and on about the merits of going to a dealership versus someone else. It all boils down to personal preference. A Tesla will almost never need new brakes if drove sensibility and not tracked.
I used to do my own maintenance (differentials, transfer case, brakes, antifreeze flushes, oil changes, brake fluid flushes, etc) but I’m to the point I don’t have the time, and I appreciate not having to do it anymore.

Assume based on your potential choices you need a 3 row SUV. Honestly if you want quality/premium feel, just go with the Q7. You really can't compare a Q7 to MY in terms of performance; they are completely different classes of car. One is a smaller sports SUV while the other is a mainly comfort focused much larger almost minivan like car. Of course the smaller car will be faster/sportier, but a Q7 feels much more higher quality than the MY. However a regular Q7 is kind of a boat to drive - it's really mainly focused on luxury/comfort... so really just depends on what you are needing in life.

I don't think the Telluride is a good buy right now... based on everything I ve seen and heard, the car is really overpriced right now.

I just sold my LR model because I was tired of the "pressure" in my ears, the poor quality and lack of features, this is after getting the Mountain Pass Performance coilovers. I am glad to see there are grown ups here and not fan bois like social media groups that would bash you.

I sold the car for what I paid for new and that's with adding a bunch of miles on it but did include accessories (coilovers, etc.)

I test drive the newest Q7 and it was "ok" but like others have said, in a few years, it will depreciate FAST, faster than Japanese luxury cars. I went back to the Acura MDX which has wireless carplay, 360 camera, cross traffic and a pano sunroof that can close. The only thing I miss about the tesla is FSD as it drives for me most of the time and charging at home to a full tank. But I find it so comfy going back to ICE as I don't have to worry about cold weather mileage varying and the comfort of the ride. While Tesla is getting there, I'm going to wait a few years to see what luxury EV's will come out. I suggest you sell now while the market is hot, cars are known to depreciate, so the longer you hold on to it, the less it will worth especially since Tesla will catch up with production and people can buy new and have it delivered soon.

Going back to ICE is not a big deal as everyone have different needs, size, towing capacity, range but for me it was comfort. I do not regret going back to ICE but do plan on getting another EV when luxury ones come out.

Reactions: InternetDude
The Audi dealer is offering me 26k on wife’s jeep or 62k on myp and not really budging on Q7 over price at 72k moderately equipped ..

It’s funny they keep saying I’m asking too much for my trades but they are way over Msrp on the Q7 .. waiting game I guess. Hate dealing with sh1tball car dealers ..

I do like the Q7 but yeah it is a boat. I Wana check out the gx80 genesis too. Love mdx almost bought 1 a while back. Lots of good choices. The Tesla isn’t saving me any money after insurance and the EV penalty Georgia levies each year on me. It’s more of just an awesome fast albeit too small and not suv enough sweet looking vehicle that I’m making work..based solely on killer looks and insane speed (which gets a lot of my vote)

telluride is nice but 5000# with a mom/ minivan v6 is … meh…

if I get them north of 65 on the myp trade I would do it.

and u can’t order 1, it would take 6 months .. have to buy what’s on a lot, hence the price gouging on both sides of the table

Last edited:
Maybe get a lightly used Q7? I know used car prices are crazy but still the first couple years should be reasonable depreciation... tho pay attention to when the mid-cycle refresh happened - I think it's with the 2020 model year; that's when they moved to the two large screens instead of tiny small one on the dash.

Honestly at low 70s I may look into lightly used X7 instead... it's one class above Q7 (Q7 is in the X5/MB GLE class). Many reviews say it's one of the best riding SUVs in the market.