Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resale value for Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one knows the future, but some are willing to bet on it. They are called leasing companies. What kind of residuals are people seeing for 3 or 5 year leases? What is the Tesla residual for the factory lease? What's that? No factory lease? Makes you wonder.

RESALE

Roadster prices are down because of supply. The 3 year itch owners getting the next shiny and the Tesla fans moving to the eminently more practical EV the Model S.

There are a bunch of Leafs on the resale market now. And you know there will be more when the next model get 25% more range.

It will likely take a near decade to sort out if a comparable EV has a better resale value to it's ICE counterpart. What will the 2013 Model S sell for compared to the 2013 Panamera in 2019?

Tesla just plain doesn't have the capital to offer leases.

I know, but it wouldn't require much capital if the residual values were bankable and the other terms were at market. Lot's of "wholesale" back end money out there to buy that paper. My point is that resale value is not reasonably knowable and the absence of lease options is another proof point of that reality. As I have noted elsewhere, the uncertainty is twofold: (i) no history of prior Model S's being auction at end of lease and (ii) uncertainty as to viability of Tesla.

RESALE

It will likely take a near decade to sort out if a comparable EV has a better resale value to it's ICE counterpart. What will the 2013 Model S sell for compared to the 2013 Panamera in 2019?

That reminds me. I've been wondering how much resale value I'll lose getting a 2012 in late December relative to getting a 2013 in January. I wish Tesla would simply mark them as 2013 models like others.

That reminds me. I've been wondering how much resale value I'll lose getting a 2012 in late December relative to getting a 2013 in January. I wish Tesla would simply mark them as 2013 models like others.

I personally like that they don't. The model year creep has been getting ridiculous lately. 2013s in May 2012? Model NUMBERS is the way to go.

People that can't recognize that this labelling is irrelevant won't be buying my S (assuming I sell it before it becomes undrivable). ;)

Tell that to Kelley Bluebook. Just checking some random models it looks like at least $7k value loss per model year. So it may be a ground breaking great idea to get a 2012 the last week in December vs. a 2013 the first week in January and the labeling may be irrelevant, but the loss of value is not so irrelevant.

Even I would postpone a week to save $7k.

Tell that to Kelley Bluebook. Just checking some random models it looks like at least $7k value loss per model year. So it may be a ground breaking great idea to get a 2012 the last week in December vs. a 2013 the first week in January and the labeling may be irrelevant, but the loss of value is not so irrelevant.

Even I would postpone a week to save $7k.

Go for it. Delaying DELIVERY a week would still likely mean the car is BUILT in the previous year though.

The interesting part here is that my co-workers who live near me travel the so-called short/quick route and take just as long or about five minutes longer to arrive then I do. Yet I get much higher mpg than they do. I do not believe that I'm burning more gas then they are or that I would burn less gas if I took the "short" route (which might be as much as 1/2 mile out of 25 miles shorter). (I don't doubt that there are some people who drive a much longer route to get better mpg, but it's not a given).
A difference of half a mile out of 25, you are quite right. Adding a ten-mile drive-around to a 3-mile trip to achieve a higher mpg figure is a whole different matter. And in the early days, some folks were reporting doing that sort of thing. There's also the fact that with my short commute I could brag about burning less gas than people with a longer commuter, even though they got better mpg.

Learning to get better mpg is a good thing. Living close to work is an even better thing. (Lots of people assert that they "cannot" live close to work, but it's all a matter of lifestyle choices. What they really mean is that there are considerations other than conservation that are more important to them. I do not fault them for that. I make lifestyle choices that increase my fossil fuel usage from the bare minimum. But these are choices, not necessities.)

Learning to get better mpg is a good thing. Living close to work is an even better thing. (Lots of people assert that they "cannot" live close to work, but it's all a matter of lifestyle choices. What they really mean is that there are considerations other than conservation that are more important to them. I do not fault them for that. I make lifestyle choices that increase my fossil fuel usage from the bare minimum. But these are choices, not necessities.)

A couple of things. If I lived significantly closer to work, I'd be in a part of town that I wouldn't feel safe walking around in. The other thing is that work moves occasionally. Every time I've moved closer to work (and I have done that a couple of times), work moves further away than it would have been had I not moved. Sometimes you just can't win :)

I've been tracking many sales (assuming private party sales and 25k miles, various options) US Model S are selling roughly:
P85: $70k-$78k USD
S85: $60k-$68k USD
S60: too few completed sales but trend would point to $50k to $58k

The glut of used cars are directly correlated to "D" upgrades which seems to be primarily 85 owners.

I've been tracking many sales (assuming private party sales and 25k miles, various options) US Model S are selling roughly:
P85: $70k-$78k USD
S85: $60k-$68k USD
S60: too few completed sales but trend would point to $50k to $58k

The glut of used cars are directly correlated to "D" upgrades which seems to be primarily 85 owners.

I would love to see this actively tracked by the community... I have no desire to sell mine any time soon, but the economist in me wants to see what the depreciation curve actually looks like.

Newby here...I am starting to research the Tesla Model S. I currently have an Acura NSX but would like to swap it out for a family car. I have always liked the concept of the Tesla. Just never really looked at it. Reading the posts on here about resale makes me feel good about the investment. Also, noting so many of you (as I) ride your bikes to work makes me smile!