Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resale Value Guarantee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have the original wording of the RVG around 2012-2013? When we put a $5000 deposit for a Model S in 2013 Tesla promised to buy back the car for 50% of the purchase price between the 26th and 39th months. This was to alleviate concerns about Tesla's long term viability and to reassure the early adopters. We took delivery of one of the first 2014 P85Ds on Dec 31, 2013 for a purchase price of $131,400 before taxes and other fees. we expected the RVG would be $65,700. We just took the car to Tesla for an RVG inspection. It was deemed in mint condition at 27,500 mi. With no deductions, the RVG is $61,395.

When I questioned the discrepancy, it turns out that around 2015 Tesla introduced a document at signing that specified the RVG as 50% of the base price plus 43% of the options. We did not have any such document in our signing package, however we also don't have anything in writing promising the 50% RVG on the full purchase price.

No big deal, but another bait-and-switch "dealership" tactic to be aware of and a disincentive for "early adopters". We have the car listed for private sale so we'll see what the market value is.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
It was in the fine print of the original document -- there are many threads talking about it here on TMC. I think Tesla just gave you a trade-in value which they would give anyone for a trade-in. It's not the RVG value.

No. As I mentioned, we did not have that document in our signing package. The $61,395 is The RVG. The Trade-in value is $63,700. Both valid for 14 days, 500 miles.

BTW, great job on the EV-CPO Consolidator.

It's strange the trade-in is actually higher. But I guess that's what they were betting on.

I found the original document dated 2013 that includes the financing clause:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/tesla-resale-jpeg.22072/

It seems that if you did qualify for the RVG, they would have given you one of these with the RVG already filled out (pending the inspection, that is). Maybe they just don't care anymore and realize the RVG is less than trade-in.

discussion thread: Tesla Resale Guarantee Document...

Thanks for your comments about EV-CPO!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
So this suggests all Model S will decline 50% in 3 years. Anyone have a better depreciation curve? I'd like to forecast my cars value at varying points of time. some scatter plot of sale vs time would be interesting.

We'll find out soon when I get some offers. Actually the offered RVG is not that bad. If I subtract the $7,500 tax credit from the full purchase price I get $123,900, and 50% of that is $61,950, only $555 more than the offer. There, now I feel better.

It's strange the trade-in is actually higher. But I guess that's what they were betting on.

I found the original document dated 2013 that includes the financing clause:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/tesla-resale-jpeg.22072/

It seems that if you did qualify for the RVG, they would have given you one of these with the RVG already filled out (pending the inspection, that is). Maybe they just don't care anymore and realize the RVG is less than trade-in.

discussion thread: Tesla Resale Guarantee Document...

Thanks for your comments about EV-CPO!

Ok, so probably because we didn't get that document in our signing package they feel obligated to give us the RVG even though we didn't finance through Tesla. I seem to remember that the reason we didn't finance through Tesla at the time was because their rate was too high. So that's a good thing for Tesla customer relations.

On second thought, the way Tesla calculated the base price is a little shady. We ordered a P85D. The way Tesla priced it is they took the base price of a Model S, then added the Dual motor and Performance package as an option. This allows them to base the RVG on a base price of $69,900 instead of $108,000. This saves them (and costs us) $2,667 on the RVG. Brilliant and worthy of the best shady financial practices at any dealership!

On second thought, the way Tesla calculated the base price is a little shady. We ordered a P85D. The way Tesla priced it is they took the base price of a Model S, then added the Dual motor and Performance package as an option. This allows them to base the RVG on a base price of $69,900 instead of $108,000. This saves them (and costs us) $2,667 on the RVG. Brilliant and worthy of the best shady financial practices at any dealership!
It has been that way since the start. The base is the base is the base. Those type of options never return full value.