Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rescuers can't open doors of burning Model S

voyager

Apr 28, 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Dr Omar Awan was driving his dream car when he lost control. The sleek, blue Model S Tesla careened across a road in South Florida and slammed into a palm tree. But it was not the crash that killed him, his family's lawyers allege - it was the car's futuristic design features. The last moments of Dr Awan's life were gruesome and excruciating. After the crash, the Tesla's lithium ion battery caught fire.

Family of man in Tesla crash alleges car was a death trap

Cheburashka

Jan 29, 2018
Los Gatos, CA
All First responders carry a device that will break the glass. In fact it's a good thing to keep in your glove box just in case you get trapped. Many options but heres one

https://www.amazon.com/Zak-Tool-LEP...ywords=glass+punch+tool&qid=1572025715&sr=8-6

I wonder how well that would work considering the globe box is opened using a button and not mechanical.

Also, it's certainly far easier and faster to retrieve something out the door of a burning vehicle than out of the window.

Similar incidents have happened with Lambos with the scissor doors. Flipped car means trapped people getting burned alive.

KrenGrl

Apr 15, 2017
San Ramon CA / Seoul
Dr Omar Awan was driving his dream car when he lost control. The sleek, blue Model S Tesla careened across a road in South Florida and slammed into a palm tree. But it was not the crash that killed him, his family's lawyers allege - it was the car's futuristic design features. The last moments of Dr Awan's life were gruesome and excruciating. After the crash, the Tesla's lithium ion battery caught fire.

yes that is terrible, though i recall MANY crashes of people in gasoline cars that also couldn't get out quickly enough before it went up in flames. so i am not sure that a tesla is any worse. :(

PWlakewood

Jan 9, 2019
US
too much of a generalization. i'm a dual citizenship and never sued anyone. not happy about it either. :D
Cant speak for other countries but over here in the United states we seem to have an abundance of people that file lawsuits just to make a buck. Not saying that this incident wasnt horrible at all just that unfortunately there are alot of people who take advantage of the system. I was just pointing out that first responders carry the appropriate equipment to quickly extricate people from vehicles when trapped. If it turns out that all the statements made are found to be true them maybe the first responders need to be retrained on what items to carry on them or in their vehicles.

Cheburashka

Jan 29, 2018
Los Gatos, CA
Cant speak for other countries but over here in the United states we seem to have an abundance of people that file lawsuits just to make a buck. Not saying that this incident wasnt horrible at all just that unfortunately there are alot of people who take advantage of the system. I was just pointing out that first responders carry the appropriate equipment to quickly extricate people from vehicles when trapped. If it turns out that all the statements made are found to be true them maybe the first responders need to be retrained on what items to carry on them or in their vehicles.

Sounds like you were at the accident site and know what happened.

First responders have a lot of tools, but when there is a lithium battery fire, they have to look after their own safety first. They are not going to use jaws of life or any other tools if they feel threatened.

The Model S door handle is cool, but from a safety and reliability standpoint, it doesn't really make sense on a mass-market car. Glad they went with mechanical handles for the Model 3.

plumazul

May 30, 2017
Washington DC

How crazy do you have to be driving to have "lost control" and then "careen across a road"?? What would have happened to a car with a tank full of gasoline?

BigD0g

Jan 12, 2017
Somewhere
Reactions: croman

PhilDavid

May 22, 2018
Philadelphia
I wonder how well that would work considering the globe box is opened using a button and not mechanical.

Also, it's certainly far easier and faster to retrieve something out the door of a burning vehicle than out of the window.

Similar incidents have happened with Lambos with the scissor doors. Flipped car means trapped people getting burned alive.

Keep in mind though that the front door release of the Model S is mechanical so it would work even if the car has no power. Now if the frame is damaged and you can;t open the door, then you'd need to break the glass. There is a convenient place to the left of the driver's seat on the floor where you can store a glass breaker. That's where I also keep a small umbrella.

ccdisce

EBISU like
Sep 10, 2014
Georgia USA
You can't tell me that anyone on that scene did not have something to break the window?? They said there was a police officer on the scene as well. They always carry equipment that could break the window and then drag the guy out. Doesn't make sense.

Nothing specifically for windows, but could be equipped with
a. Gun to shoot someone
b. Taser to zap someone
c. NiteStick/ Truncheon to break knees,ribs ,heads...…...

• Disagree
Reactions: Ande and SSedan

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC