Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reseal HV Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

My 2013 P85+ is going to SC this week for MCU daugherboard replacement. I wondered when they initially said it will take four days! But now I see on the service agreement that there is a lot of stuff being done to HV battery:

upload_2020-11-2_9-27-53.png

This was not explained to me, at least not yet. I'm going to ask when I leave the car there. Anyone else know what's going on?

Is it possible they have noticed some issue remotely, or is this some kind of a recall? I have 11 months left on the 8 year battery warranty, maybe they are trying to remedy something just enough so it lasts one more year before complete failure? :)

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I was told it's a service bulletin. I brought mine in about a week ago with a "Battery charge limit will be restricted" error. They ordered the same parts for mine too, which seems like a waste if it's likely I'll be getting a battery swap because of this message.

Ok thanks.

I haven't got any errors on display, but I don't know if they have noticed something remotely.

"Reseal" sounds like there maybe is a potential way for water to get in, which they now are fixing? Also the Mudflaps in part listing seem to be very new part, the part numbers are not found in Tesla EPC.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Well that's the big "if." Mine is 7 years and 2 months old, and from what I've read on this forum about my error message and symptoms it looks like my battery may need replacing/repair. I did not install the infamous software update (that reduced range in many 85 cars and increased supercharger times in probably all of them - supposedly in the name of battery longevity) because of the terrible changes in the interface. If I do get a replacement battery, I will always wonder if the software update would've pushed the problem out another 10 months and past the warranty.

So far they've only updated my firmware. I was told the tech wanted some drive cycles now that the car's updated. (They kept the car 2 1/2 weeks!)
The app works again, I hate the new interface, and the app says 100% is 212 miles. It was around 240 before an error message came up 4 weeks ago.
They did not do the battery re-seal yet either, they want it back in a month.

Ok, so brought it in today for the re-seal. It's not about the seal, its about checking coolant connections within the HV battery. They need to pop the top and check the connections, replace some parts, and reseal.

I got a really snappy P90D as a loaner, which is nice. Currently waiting on the result. The nominal charge of my 85 dropped from 76 to 70kWh this year, so hopefully my pack is full of coolant. But I bet it's just fine and I'll just get it back the same way.

I got a total battery pack replacement last week. My bill had only 3 lines, new pack, new coolant, new cover part. My pack was still under warranty. Wow, I'm lost as to why your car needed all that work, glad it was done though. They changed my pack in one day.

upload_2020-11-30_21-12-14.png

upload_2020-11-30_21-12-3.png

Just got the car back, dont notice anything different. They had to order and replace the rapid mate plate as well, basically the male connector that sticks out of the car into the battery, due to corrosion. So obviously there was water intrusion.

They also were suprised my P90D loaner wasn't locked into chill-mode. Lucky me. They believe is was "hacked". Ha ha ha...

Anyway, I'm happy. Still wondering wether or not the car had logged a fault I couldn't see.

So i just brought my 2015 P85 in for the battery re seal and a problem with one of my fobs.
As they were going to return the car, they stated that the high voltage charger was no good and I had to replace it at a charge of $ 3000.
There were no problems charging prior to my appointment and they are stating that the battery re seal has nothing to do with the high voltage charge. It will charge at home,, but not a supercharger. There must be a correlation with their work and my new problem.

Reactions: aerodyne
So i just brought my 2015 P85 in for the battery re seal and a problem with one of my fobs.
As they were going to return the car, they stated that the high voltage charger was no good and I had to replace it at a charge of $ 3000.
There were no problems charging prior to my appointment and they are stating that the battery re seal has nothing to do with the high voltage charge. It will charge at home,, but not a supercharger. There must be a correlation with their work and my new problem.

Welcome to the forum! You should explain that Supercharging was working before you brought it to Tesla. They can check your car's logs.

Hi @wk057 ,

Just got also this warranty bulletin activity performed on our S85 from 2015 too. Searching TMC, I found this thread.
The local tech explained they basically replaced the valves on the side of the pack to avoid humidity ingress.
Are you familiar with what is done here and the expectation looking forward?
I read in one of the other battery thread that there were different versions of the enclosures, reporting 1.0 and 1.5 where meh, but 2.0 were solid (if memory serves).
Is this a way to make 1.0/1.5 enclosure as good as a 2.0?

Hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks!

1662038114476.png

Hi @wk057 ,

Just got also this warranty bulletin activity performed on our S85 from 2015 too. Searching TMC, I found this thread.
The local tech explained they basically replaced the valves on the side of the pack to avoid humidity ingress.
Are you familiar with what is done here and the expectation looking forward?
I read in one of the other battery thread that there were different versions of the enclosures, reporting 1.0 and 1.5 where meh, but 2.0 were solid (if memory serves).
Is this a way to make 1.0/1.5 enclosure as good as a 2.0?

Hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks!

View attachment 847853
I'm curious how this came about AustinP: Was your car in service for something else, and they suggested this procedure be done?

I'm curious how this came about AustinP: Was your car in service for something else, and they suggested this procedure be done?
I had scheduled something else, and when reviewing the appointment in the app, that showed up. Talking with the SeC, they explained what this was aboyt, mentioned it would block the car the entire day. But they were happy to cancel or reschedule if not convenient.