Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Research into autonomous vehicle functions and impact on motor insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am currently doing some research into autonomous functions and how they will impact motor insurance. To get the perspective of drivers, I figures a Tesla owners forum would be a good start given then level of autonomy available with autopilot.

I was hoping to pose a few questions and maybe generate some discussion.

I was wondering how aware you were of the autonomous functions prior to purchase?

How much consideration was the autonomous functions in your purchase decision?

What level of trust would you put in the autonomous functions and have they influenced your driving for better of worse?

What impacts do you feel increasing level of autonomy will have on the motor insurance industry and what has been your experience so far with regards with insurance purchase?

+ QUOTE REPLY

I was wondering how aware you were of the autonomous functions prior to purchase?

"Aware" is a funny word because there is no specific specifications, no passing test for Tesla autonomous functions, not even a traffic cone test from independent third party...

It's more like a vision, a promise for fulfillment in some future, or more accurately, a sales pitch!

Any how, I expect it to not knock over traffic cones, and it should avoid accidents all on its own including road-debris avoidance, pot-hole avoidance...

As described by company's website, I expect to sleep at home and my car would sneak out my garage automatically and pick up passengers all on its own.

How much consideration was the autonomous functions in your purchase decision?

It's a big part that motivated me to buy my current Model X.

I had a manual Model S already and I would hesitate to switch car if my current Model X would not have autonomous promise.

What level of trust would you put in the autonomous functions and have they influenced your driving for better of worse?

Currently, no trust.

That's because trust has to be earned and proven.

Autonomous functions needs to be independently verified by third parties.

Once, it's proven, there's no need for me to bother with driving. Let my car do its job of driving on its own!

What impacts do you feel increasing level of autonomy will have on the motor insurance industry and what has been your experience so far with regards with insurance purchase?

My current insurance company treats my Tesla just like any other cars with. There is no announcement that it will change.

I expect as autonomous system is proven, Tesla would offer its own insurance with lower premiums than the rest would.

The rest of the insurance industry might sit back and wait for a while before they would compete with Tesla insurance pricing (the same way as the main stream car industry for developing an Electric Vehicle that could match Tesla's coast-to-coast trip for 51 hours and 47 minutes.)

Thanks for your response. The promise of fully autonomous is really alluring, did you order the full senf driving capability? I seems odd they sell this package when there is no timeframe on introduction. I suppose anyone ordering this package really wants and autonomous vehicle.

Has the autopilot performed well for you? would you still prefer third party testing.

A third party test for autonomous isn't something I have looked at in depth. I wonder how many people would prefer this than trusting the manufacturers claims.

Are the rates payed on average very similar to the average saloon car with similar value/performance. The issue insurers may have is how to price the risk, if Tesla are gathering data on the system performance, they may be best placed to price the risk in the short term. Though solvency and capital requirements to insure the fleet may be prohibitive and also divert capital away from innovation, so it would be better for them to reinsure or partner with a provider.

...did you order the full senf driving capability?...

I did as disclosed on my signature footnotes.

...I seems odd they sell this package when there is no timeframe on introduction...

Very odd with other companies. But Tesla is not "other" companies. So it is a norm in Tesla. Absolutely no surprise there!

...I suppose anyone ordering this package really wants and autonomous vehicle...

It's just like when you are offered to buy a ticket to board SpaceX Dragon 2 spacecraft next year, 2018, to circle the orbit of the moon and you know that Spacecraft has never been tested out in space even?

Of course, next year availability for moon orbit is already sold out!

...Has the autopilot performed well for you?...

I am just like a test pilot for an experimental program so I would say it works so well but of course not for a lay person.

I drive mostly on freeways for the past 4,700 miles and it has worked very well most of the time.

The other minor time could be fatal if I depended on the system and not take any corrective actions.

....would you still prefer third party testing....

Of course!

I am not going to damage my car to see whether it can avoid hitting a traffic cone.

How do I know my car can now avoid the fatal Florida accident scenario if no one wants to recreate the scene and test that out?....

...A third party test for autonomous isn't something I have looked at in depth....

I believe that is a big mistake because manufacturers can claim lots of things but only third parties can illustrate what all those claim mean.

...I wonder how many people would prefer this than trusting the manufacturers claims...

When you see TV advertisements that their cars would brake to a complete stop to avoid a collision, Youtube has numerous self-testing owners to make sure their cars funcition as expected.

Such as:

Bjorn Nyland Tests Tesla Model S Automatic Braking Feature - Video

Except the author took the clip down because the result wasn't as expected.

...Are the rates payed on average very similar to the average saloon car with similar value/performance. The issue insurers may have is how to price the risk, if Tesla are gathering data on the system performance, they may be best placed to price the risk in the short term. Though solvency and capital requirements to insure the fleet may be prohibitive and also divert capital away from innovation, so it would be better for them to reinsure or partner with a provider...

It's hard to figure out insurance company industry.

They may play fair and they may not.

Sorry, I didn't see the signature footnote. For Tesla to sell full driverless options you have to think they see this being available rather soon. I see the new Audi A8 claims full level 3 autonomy, other manufactures have different timelines. How long do you think it will take before we see autonomous vehicles from most manufacturers?

The test carried out by Nyland are interesting, you'd like to think the vehicle would stop even if it is only styrofoam. After all most humans wouldn't take a chance of ploughing through it. Perhaps testing should come under NCAP testing and vehicles systems rated, though it might be hard to test for all the variables.

Here in Ireland insurers are heavily regulated, there doesn't seem to be an issue with insurers trying to deny and delay claims payments. As vehicles have more and more data stored, there may not be any dispute over claims (providing insurers can access the data).

If the vehicle fails in autonomous mode, who should foot the bill?

If its the manufacturer should an insurer settle the claim, then seek to recover the cost from the manufacturer as the UK have proposed