TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Research Triangle electricians

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by ggbjr, Sep 28, 2013.

1. ggbjr

ggbjr Member

Hey guys – can anyone make a referral to a good electrician in the Triangle area? I need to start prepping the house for our new arrival.

2. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

Mr. Electric (Solarcity's / Tesla's) partner in NC called me shortly after I confirmed and I have them setup to come out and do a quote on Tuesday.

3. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

Brace yourself, their quotes usually come in really high.

4. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

They called me too as soon as I confirmed. They are coming out in the morning to provide me a quote. I already set up a couple of others to do the same as I had heard they were taking advantage of being the "preferred provider" for Tesla.

5. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

They we're quick on the quote and very nice to deal with. The quote was right where I expected it to be. I'm leaning toward going with them at this point.

6. ggbjr

ggbjr Member

Great to hear. What are you planning to have done?

7. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

I didn't opt for the Twin Chargers or HPWC so just a NEMA 14-50, If my HoA wasn't annoying I'd have opted for a second 14-50 outside for visitors, but as is the current one is close enough to the garage door that the UMC will reach it just fine. My power panel/feed had plenty of room. The biggest part of the expense is labor and then there is the conduit/wiring run. Its about 34 feet in total (down from the panel, along the outer wall, up to the plug).

8. ggbjr

ggbjr Member

Sounds good. I'm planning to have the same done. I'm thinking of also getting an outlet near the street for visitors, but suspect it might be too costly.

9. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Mr. Electric was out this morning and gave me a quote just under $700. I am installing the plug in my garage just under/beside my current 200 AMP panel for my condo. I asked for an 80 AMP circuit breaker. The location will allow me to provide service to visitors (i.e.​ Plugshare) if I choose to do so. I ordered the dual chargers and the HPWC so I think this will set me up nicely.

10. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

Got the full quote from Mr. Electric today and scheduled for them to come out next Wednesday to do the install. Now I'll have a plug to stare at until the car gets here. And my EV driving friends will have a place to plug in when they visit.

11. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

We had the company installing solar panels on our roof wire up two 14-50 plugs at the same time, one on each side of the garage; there was about 70 feet of conduit / wire required to run from a pre-existing panel in the garage. Total bill for that work was a bit over 700.

12. Blathering1

Blathering1 Remember

For the HPWC, you will want a 100amp breaker according to the Tesla HPWC spec. You should be fine on the 200 amp panel unless you have some serious electric running (electric instant hot-water, etc).