Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reseat displaced front right parking assist sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

I have a 2016 S 75, refresh model, with the premium interior package (HEPA filter). My front right parking assist sensor was pulled back into the bumper from a Wild Turkey incident (no bourbon involved, but one wild turkey run over at speed on a rural highway). The sensor still appears to be working and the wiring harness intact (I can feel it inside of the hole).

What is the best way to access the inside of the front bumper and reseat this sensor?

Thanks.

Thanks! Unfortunately it is the right front facing sensor.
You will need to take off the bumper. It not a big deal. There are detailed instructions on this site which I have used and work well. In my opinion, it is partially a two person job, but an experienced person can do it alone. The bumper is relatively heavy and awkward when off.
How To: Front Bumper and Headlight Removal

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and amosnomor
You will need to take off the bumper. It not a big deal. There are detailed instructions on this site which I have used and work well. In my opinion, it is partially a two person job, but an experienced person can do it alone. The bumper is relatively heavy and awkward when off.
Thank you. That looks quite doable. Do you expect any differences with a newer, non-nosecone front end?

Follow up...

By removing the frunk liner and tub, disconnecting the top of the front quarter panel that runs beneath/around the headlight, and unbolting top of the bumper (where the chrome and T connect in the center), there was enough play to reach in and and fix the sensor without having to remove the bumper. I did need to re-glue the sensor mount to the bumper. Probably torsional stress popped it off during the turkey incident.

Thank you. The link posted by Dborn

and this video, which includes frunk removal on a refresh Model S:

were invaluable.