Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Bump after buying Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've read...yes (I believe it was a tweet from Elon Musk if you want to search).

As far as contacting someone, I don't think that is necessary. Your MyTesla account should show your vehicles and the model3 production has not yet begun.

Last edited:
It used to say that was the case on the Tesla blog but they removed that line of text.

You'd better believe people will complain about it to if they make that an official thing (and I believe there was complaining). Rich people would literally be bumping the lesser rich out of the tax credit which might have benefitted them the most. If you get bumped from end of that first quarter after 200,000 by even one day, you've just lost $3750 of potential tax credit... If you're sitting on the edge 2 quarters from that point and you get bumped a day you lose $1750, two quarters later and you'd lose any tax credit at all.

Last edited:
It's been made clear that owning a Tesla will move you up in line...
and that ordering a highly-optioned Model 3 will move you up in line...
and that living on the west coast (I'm hoping that Phoenix counts) will move you up in line...

What's not entirely clear is how all of these "move you up in line" items are going to work when they conflict with each other. Will a non-owner in LA have priority over an owner in Springfield? Will a Base owner have priority over a top-spec non-owner?

I have my own speculation about how it'll work. Half of the people on this forum have their own speculation. All of us are probably wrong, and we won't know for sure until Tesla starts delivering cars. As Buddy said, as long as "My Tesla" shows your Model S and your Model 3 orders, then Tesla knows everything they need to slot you appropriately.

Well, at least by being a non-owner, living in a non-EV friendly state, and trying to purchase a lesser optioned 3, I should get offered to configure on the 31st of next February! At least I'll have more time to save up the money.

Just a thought, but if I could afford a Model S or X and bought one just to get a better place in the Model 3 line, and then sold the "take-me-to-the-front-of-the-line-mobile" with the depreciation hit that would be, I wouldn't need a tax credit. So, if that's your plan, shoot me a private message when your 3 arrives and sell me your near new S for what my 3 after tax credit will be. I'd prefer a red or blue one, no leather, no pano roof and no active air suspension. It'll still be the most awesome car I'll ever own by a very wide margin.

Thanks in advance! :D

Reactions: linkster
and that living on the west coast (I'm hoping that Phoenix counts) will move you up in line...
Since they can't know your options until after you configure I'm thinking that reservation date, prior ownership, and region will affect when you get asked to configure and then options will affect when you get delivery.

The part about owners and deliveries beginning in the west are in the blog and can be considered official, the part about the highly optioned ones getting moved up I think was a tweet so it is more likely subject to change.

But it is fun playing the "when will I get mine" game :D

Reactions: Model 3
Well, at least by being a non-owner, living in a non-EV friendly state, and trying to purchase a lesser optioned 3, I should get offered to configure on the 31st of next February!

Oh my gosh, I hate to tell you this but you must have missed typed or something, there is a glaring problem in what you said ..... they wont know you're getting a lesser optioned car until after you've been asked to configure ... sheesh :)

It's still there: "In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region."

Reserving your Model 3
The part they removed was the second part of the sentence you posted... it read: ",meaning that the fastest way to own a Model 3 is to own a Model S or Model X."

The real test will be if a pre-existing owner orders a base model and a future owner orders a fully spec'd version then who gets priority?

What's not entirely clear is how all of these "move you up in line" items are going to work when they conflict with each other. Will a non-owner in LA have priority over an owner in Springfield? Will a Base owner have priority over a top-spec non-owner?

I have my own speculation about how it'll work. Half of the people on this forum have their own speculation. All of us are probably wrong, and we won't know for sure until Tesla starts delivering cars. As Buddy said, as long as "My Tesla" shows your Model S and your Model 3 orders, then Tesla knows everything they need to slot you appropriately.

For those of you with this "first world headache" it will all be made abundantly clear in the next release notes, or when AP 2.0 makes its debut, or "soon". In the interim, I continue to fiddle with an Easter egg hunt, hoping for an answer. Today, I'm going to input "42" in the "Name my car" slot and see what happens.o_O

The real test will be if a pre-existing owner orders a base model and a future owner orders a fully spec'd version then who gets priority?
My guess here is that the pre-existing owner will have the shortest wait between reservation opening of the DesignSenter, and the future owner will have the shortest wait between finalizing the order and delivery. The rest is a lot of unknown about where and when did they reserve, how fast will they batch out the opening of the DesignSenter, how long the production lines is when they finalize and how much weigth Tesla put on the different configuration options.

Oh my gosh, I hate to tell you this but you must have missed typed or something, there is a glaring problem in what you said ..... they wont know you're getting a lesser optioned car until after you've been asked to configure ... sheesh :)

Sorry about the negativity, I guess I need to stay off of priority bump threads before they drive me crazy! Have a great day. Mark

Sorry about the negativity, I guess I need to stay off of priority bump threads before they drive me crazy! Have a great day. Mark
I wasn't commenting on the negativity, it was supposed to be a funny by concentrating on the smaller detail of them not what your options are while overlooking the blatantly obvious Feb 31st. part of it. My only defense is that it sounded funny in my mind, of course a lot of things sound funnier there .... like the voices ....