TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reservation costs rebate

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Sans Gas, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Sans Gas

Sans Gas Member

Anyone get a rebate on reservation costs if you paid more than it cost to register the car?

I paid more and have not received a response asking about this.

2. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

you must mean "registration costs"?

3. Sans Gas

Sans Gas Member

Yes, registration. Paid about $500, cost about $200.

4. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

I think they did it right in Maryland; mine was $280 for "registration, transfer and titling fees." I haven't figured out what "transfer" fee they refer to, but the title is $100 and registration plates are $180 (since the Model S is over 3700 pounds). This means Tesla ate the $30 registration fee, or I misunderstood the fees on MVA's site. So I'm surprised they got Florida wrong; on the other paw, every state is different and it's possible they got their wires crossed. I wasn't aware of Maryland's plate fee till I double-checked this stuff just now; is it possible you overlooked something?

It looks like Florida usually has a $225 one-time initial fee (see here), then if they did a two-year registration, that's another $141.30; the title is just over $77 (supposedly paper may be more); and counties may add a bit more on. So that looks like somewhere at/over $443 depending on paper title and county extras--obviously a quick Google from over here is bound to be inaccurate, but I got curious, sorry . . . but is any of what I found correct?

Either way, good luck getting an explanation/resolution. :) And pardon my possibly-inaccurate read of Florida's fees.

5. Sans Gas

Sans Gas Member

The accounting I got is:
    Title Certificate Transfer - $71..0 State, $4.75 County
    Lien - $2.00
    Lemon Law Fee - $2.00
    Decal - $68.15 State, $3.00 County
    Tag info. - $10.00
    Agency - $50.00

Total - $210.90

Paid Tesla - $456.85

6. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

You should get a refund. What ultimately happened with my Virginia registration is Tesla just sent a check for the taxes and $199.50 registration I paid. I went and registered the car and paid myself, and it cost < the total I had paid to Tesla. Unfortunately they made the check out to DMV instead of me and now I'm waiting for a new check to reimburse me. They're waiting to get the original check back from me before sending out the new one.

My experience with email responses to ownership from here on the east coast is about a day and a half. I would call if it's been a couple of days.

7. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

I also titled in Florida and got a refund from the title company. Paid Tesla $451 and got a refund check for $232.