TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reservation Deposit Lowered to $2500 USD

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by RobotGrease, May 17, 2013.

1. RobotGrease

RobotGrease Member

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

3. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Great idea, now they save on the credit card fees for $2500 on every purchase. For a 2% fee, that's an extra $50 per sale, or $1 million extra for every 20,000 cars sold.

4. zeron

zeron Member

Elon alluded to this in the conference call. He also mentioned credit card fees and the barrier to reservation as reasons.

5. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

I kind of liked the $5000 amount not as a barrier to entry but as a reduction on the MVPA amount on delivery. The psychological "before $7500 tax credit" makes a sort of price jump that while expected always seems to catch me off guard. At least when they deduct the $5000 deposit, the price delta is only $2500 against the "before tax credit price"

My deposit on our 40 reservation was well over a year ago and that $5K deposit is long gone and out of mind. It was nice to see it deducted from our MVPA.

As the turnaround from deposit to delivery gets shorter I guess that'll make less of an impact.

6. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Yeah, but nowadays, there's no "reservation" stage. You finalize immediately, and you probably get the car in a few months or less. So the psychological impact is probably not the same.

7. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"