Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation process detils (payment options)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WarpedOne

Supreme Premier
Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2006
Slovenia, Europe
Yes, I'm reserving on 01.04.16

I'm in Europe and don't own a credit card (we have debit cards).
What are "usual" payment options for reservation?

Only credit cards, bank transfer, pay pal, ..?
Is reservation accounted for card/account owner or a named third party (say me paying with a friends credit card)?

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 3.25.04 PM.png

That's what Tesla is allowing for Model X reservations, I'd expect the same for Model 3. FWIW, if your debit card has the Visa, Amex, or MasterCard logo on it, then it can be processed the same way as a credit card and therefore can be used for the deposit. I don't know if the payment account holder name is relevant—contact Tesla with your question.

What are "usual" payment options for reservation?

It does not matter who pays as long as it's legal money.

If your friend is there, and writes Tesla a check with proper Identifications, there should not be any problem.

However, if your friend is not there and you bring your friend's credit card and sign the name. That is a "no, no." It will be hard to prove that your friend authorized it.

I tried reserving using an Amex credit card. The reserve page didn't show what types of cc are accepted.
At least it said at the end of the reservation that the process completed successfully. Yet half a day later my cc doesn't show a charge, nor did I get a confirmation email. And logging into MyTesla doesn't work either.
Perhaps I should try again? Otoh I don't want to reserve two cars.