Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation tracker for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Paul suggest you add option for Previous Tesla Owner (but not current). That might be interesting to see how we fair in the cue.
I tweeted Elon for clarification about this. Store employees don't know, but indicate they may have some pull later on.

Do you want to note SpaceX employees vs Tesla?
Good idea! On it. Not sure how comfortable employees would feel about putting their data in there, so will leave it generic for now.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
Awesome! I just put my two entries in right now. I counted 112 non-regular reservers (of which two are employees) out of 451 total, which is 24.83%, or 24.39% which are owners. So, about a quarter of tracker reservations are current Tesla car owners*, and 3/4ths of tracker reservations are reserving as their first Tesla car (for now).

I put my reservation for two Model 3's in on Thursday before 11AM PDT in Fremont, CA. No e-mail. No indication of anything on my MyTesla page (I'm an S owner). However my credit card got a $2,000 charge on it from Tesla. Anybody else here see something similar?

I put my reservation for two Model 3's in on Thursday before 11AM PDT in Fremont, CA. No e-mail. No indication of anything on my MyTesla page (I'm an S owner). However my credit card got a $2,000 charge on it from Tesla. Anybody else here see something similar?
My dual order took a few extra days but eventually it got both the email and MyTesla updated. I ordered shortly after 8:30 PDT.

I have been told that the Model S has a timer on it - such that you can plug it in when convenient and begin charging when Time-of Use rates are favorable. I can't seem to find this feature in any of the How-To videos. So q1) IS there a timer? and Q2) will the Model 3 have one?

I have been told that the Model S has a timer on it - such that you can plug it in when convenient and begin charging when Time-of Use rates are favorable. I can't seem to find this feature in any of the How-To videos. So q1) IS there a timer? and Q2) will the Model 3 have one?

1.) Yes. Check the charging screen on the Model S.
2.) Since no one has seen the Model 3 interface as yet, the answer to this question is IDK. However, since it is simply software to control such a feature, I'd bet the ranch that it will be there.

I managed to get my reservation in at 7:43 PDT. Cant seem to find my way in the tracker. What I was trying to do was calculate how many $7500 credits would be consumed before my RN advances. Any advice?

Stop trying. :)

Seriously. There are far too many variables for you to be able to figure that out. On top of that there isn't any conceivable way to do it based on the information in the tracker, considering the tracker has well under 1% of the total number of reservations in it.

1.) Yes. Check the charging screen on the Model S.
2.) Since no one has seen the Model 3 interface as yet, the answer to this question is IDK. However, since it is simply software to control such a feature, I'd bet the ranch that it will be there.

Be careful, here, of providing an over-simplified answer to what may have been a more sophisticated question.

Yes, Branzo90D answered the actual questions you asked completely correctly. The Model S does allow you to plug in, and set the time when you want the charge to start, and in all likelihood the Model 3 will as well. But what I mean about being careful about what Desert Driver may have been asking, the Model S does not allow for a feature I have seen requested, which is for true Time Of Use (TOU) tables to be entered, and then for the car to only charge intelligently during the low rate periods. For example, the feature I have seen requested might have a low rate ending at 7:00 AM, and then starting again at 5:00 PM, and the user would like the TOU charging system to stop the charge at 7:00 AM if it has not completed by that time, and to then resume it at 5:00 PM, when the rates are low again. The Model S --DOES NOT-- have a system that allows for this, so if that is what Desert Driver meant when he asked about a TOU charging system, then the answer would be no.

Again, we can plug in, and delay the time the charge starts. It is also pretty easy to make the charge end at a given time by setting the charge level and estimating how fast the charge will occur. So if you knew that after 1.5 hours you'd be getting into a higher rate, and wanted your charge to stop before then, you would just adjust the state of charge percentage that you were shooting for such that the car would finish charging at about that time. Just please be careful and don't call this TOU charging, because I believe the people looking for that feature want to be able to enter a table of times and then have the car start and stop charging as needed such that it charges only during the low-rate times.

Last edited:
I've been following Tesla for years. Glad to finally be on the reservations list - and by the time the RHD models get to the west coast of Oz I'll have had a couple more years of [impatient] anticipation!

In terms of qualifying for the tax credit we need to get certain things in order. A lot of them we cant determine until the M3 starts delivery.

1. We need to know how many cars Tesla would have sold by the first delivery of the M3.
2. We need to factor in ongoing sales of the Model S and X during that time.
3. We need to know how many cars Tesla plans to sell to each region before starting production for others.
4. We need to know how many people would have canceled their orders by that time in your region.
5. What configuration of cars people are ordering and which order Tesla will manufacture and deliver them in.
6. How many previous Tesla owners are ordering the M3 and what region they are in.
7. We need to know if it's possible to extend the federal tax credit not just for Tesla but for all EV manufacturers

Not to discourage anyone but this is a waiting game. Now if you just want to know when your car is coming then most of my points about still apply. Hopefully we get more information during part 2 of the M3 reveal.

Just my thoughts.