Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Transfer Technicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my order placed on 1/14.
No VIN assigned yet.

Friend of mine placed the order, and he is getting delivery on 1/23/2023 @ 1300 hours.
We both ordered the identical vehicle.

He changed his mind.
Is there a way for me to get his reservation transferred to me?

Since the VIN is not assigned to me, will I get my deposit refunded?

Thanks,

Hi,

There is a guy locally who is trying to sell his model y reservation.
He said he will give me his tesla account with the reservation on it, I can change the password, but not the email address, not until I took delivery of the car. He will help me with registration, title, insurance and everything else that is needed.

Is this a scam? Is there anything I need to watch out for or do to make sure I don't get scam?

Thanks in advance.

• Funny
Reactions: ShareLofty
If Tesla detects that the reservation has been traded/sold they will cancel the reservation.

Tesla periodically has inventory Model Y vehicles available for immediate purchase. Your Tesla sales advisor can assist you by matching you to an inventory vehicle.

There are also a large number of used Tesla Model Y vehicles available. That would be one way to begin driving a Tesla vehicle as soon as you sign on the line.

Hi,

There is a guy locally who is trying to sell his model y reservation.
He said he will give me his tesla account with the reservation on it, I can change the password, but not the email address, not until I took delivery of the car. He will help me with registration, title, insurance and everything else that is needed.

Is this a scam? Is there anything I need to watch out for or do to make sure I don't get scam?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Inherently, no, its not, since its not something supported by Tesla. Its very much a your mileage may vary type thing. I moved your thread into the one thread we have here on reservation transfer stuff. Read through here and see if this is something you are interested in.

If Tesla detects that the reservation has been traded/sold they will cancel the reservation.

Tesla periodically has inventory Model Y vehicles available for immediate purchase. Your Tesla sales advisor can assist you by matching you to an inventory vehicle.

There are also a large number of used Tesla Model Y vehicles available. That would be one way to begin driving a Tesla vehicle as soon as you sign on the line.
There is no existing inventory of model y near me, i am checking everyday. This is why I opt to go this way.

This guy claims VIN has be assigned, so I can get the car delivered in 1-2 weeks.

All the info Tesla has on my account are:
  • My name - editable
  • My address - blank
  • Payment info used to pay the $250 deposit - editable
  • Contact number - editable
  • Email - editable
  • Driver's license - blank
  • VIN - unassigned
My delivery is coming up in probably ~2 weeks. As I no longer need a car right now, what's stopping me transferring the order to a family member or friend who needs the car, so I don't forfeit the $250?

All the info Tesla has on my account are:
  • My name - editable
  • My address - blank
  • Payment info used to pay the $250 deposit - editable
  • Contact number - editable
  • Email - editable
  • Driver's license - blank
  • VIN - unassigned
My delivery is coming up in probably ~2 weeks. As I no longer need a car right now, what's stopping me transferring the order to a family member or friend who needs the car, so I don't forfeit the $250?
You’re good, worst case they’ll cancel the order and you’ll lose the $250. Which uou’d lose either way.

You’re good, worst case they’ll cancel the order and you’ll lose the $250. Which uou’d lose either way.
My post was merged into this thread. I was asking in my post what's preventing me from transferring my order to someone else like a family member (or anyone really), and just have them pay me the $250, so Tesla doesn't steal it. Why does everyone say you forfeit the $250, when all account info can be changed?

It’s never been “officially” supported. Back in 2022 Tesla cancelled transfers of reservations after the $10k price hike, especially if they were “sold”, but doesn’t seem to be aggressively doing that these days. Several people have posted saying the transfers were successful recently.

Tesla doesn’t want a secondary market for obvious reasons.