Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Transfer Technicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So then is the "right" way to do this:

1) Find someone selling a reservation that you want
2) Work out the selling price *for the reservation* with the seller
3) Put in an order for the exact same spec
4) Ask Tesla to do the reservation transfer (?)

That’s a VIN transfer. Officially Tesla does not allow orders to be moved between accounts and Tesla wants the new buyer to pay current prices so that’s why VIN transfers are supported. Basically (2) is moot now. Reservations aren’t worth anything to anybody except to the original orderer.

This fear mongering is ridiculous lmao. You must be some kind of idiot to go buy ur car without changing acc details to match registration.

Changing account details to match registration doesn't even work anymore. I suspect Tesla is matching the name/address of the order agreement (this never changes) with the final registration at delivery.

Reactions: UCF3
Correct. I have personal motivations which are separate from what I think is best for Tesla as a company (I also own a lot of stock long term).

With multiple recent pricing increases (especially for S/X and factoring in how old many of those reservations probably are) and insane gas prices, allowing transfers probably isn’t sustainable. Doing the math, original X orders are possibly being sold at no profit or even loss for the company at this point. In other words, the price increase percentage since launch is about equal to the company’s average profit margin.

This fear mongering is ridiculous lmao. You must be some kind of idiot to go buy ur car without changing acc details to match registration.

While I agree we are indeed missing details in how this particular transfer process actually went through, but I have heard of cancellations lately (not sure about real reasons).

Correct. I have personal motivations which are separate from what I think is best for Tesla as a company (I also own a lot of stock long term).

With multiple recent pricing increases (especially for S/X and factoring in how old many of those reservations probably are) and insane gas prices, allowing transfers probably isn’t sustainable. Doing the math, original X orders are possibly being sold at no profit or even loss for the company at this point. In other words, the price increase percentage since launch is about equal to the company’s average profit margin.

I am fairly certain your second paragraph is totally incorrect just made up. That is not how product pricing works, particualrly for high-end goods like Tesla and Apple products that have 25-40% margin on most products, and what you say is opposite of anecdotal analysis that longtime Tesla analyzers have done (on this forum and elsewhere).

If Tesla was making a loss on high end cars, which is unheard of in high end cars, they would simply ask you to accept newer/discounted higher price, or just go away and reorder --they have done that in the past for scrapped products (e.g., MY LR RWD)

I also think these new rules should apply to everyone but I know that’s not how Tesla works sometimes. I can definitely see them allowing the transfer if the buyer pays for the car through the app in advance, sight unseen, as requested. Personally I think that’s a bad idea and many buyers won’t be willing to do that.

While I agree we are indeed missing details in how this particular transfer process actually went through, but I have heard of cancellations lately (not sure about real reasons).

I am fairly certain your second paragraph is totally incorrect just made up. That is not how product pricing works, particualrly for high-end goods like Tesla and Apple products that have 25-40% margin on most products, and what you say is opposite of anecdotal analysis that longtime Tesla analyzers have done (on this forum and elsewhere).

If Tesla was making a loss on high end cars, which is unheard of in high end cars, they would simply ask you to accept newer/discounted higher price, or just go away and reorder --they have done that in the past for scrapped products (e.g., MY LR RWD)

I hope you’re right re: profit margins but Tesla only releases average margin figures across the whole line up so nobody really knows. S/X are obviously a small portion of the average.

I currently have an original price X order which is now ~$25k below current price or about 25%. Hopefully I’m able to take delivery at that price because it’s a great deal imo.

I hope you’re right re: profit margins but Tesla only releases average margin figures across the whole line up so nobody really knows. S/X are obviously a small portion of the average.

I currently have an original price X order which is now ~$25k below current price or about 25%. Hopefully I’m able to take delivery at that price because it’s a great deal imo.
Any good car at 25% cheaper than MSRP is a great price -- even if you keep it for a short time -- so I hope you get it and like it!

Good luck, and my hunch is that Tesla will honor your booking price (which was not low to begin with!)👍

So then is the "right" way to do this:

1) Find someone selling a reservation that you want
2) Work out the selling price *for the reservation* with the seller
3) Put in an order for the exact same spec
4) Ask Tesla to do the reservation transfer (?)

the right way should be more like this:
1) Find someone “giving away/up” a reservation that you want
2) Put in an order for the exact same spec
3) Ask Tesla to do the reservation transfer
4) pay the current official price

…There' a case in the Southeast where someone who purchased a reservation was denied delivery because the account owner and the registration info was a mismatch. As you may know, Tesla revised their policy to allow reservation transfers but only if you have an existing reservation with the same specs…
Anyone have details on either this Southeast case or the policy change?

Everyone here seems to just be speculating without trying to actually message/call their tesla rep
DA216FC2-1C48-4204-AD64-275EBEE6E4C6.jpeg

Everyone here seems to just be speculating without trying to actually message/call their tesla rep

I think you misunderstand the problem. SAs all agreed to transfer my registration to new buyer (address, insurance, etc) and everything was hokey-dokey until delivery where it got rejected after payment was accepted by the SA. Tesla HQ or delivery center management can block a sale.

I think you misunderstand the problem. SAs all agreed to transfer my registration to new buyer (address, insurance, etc) and everything was hokey-dokey until delivery where it got rejected after payment was accepted by the SA. Tesla HQ or delivery center management can block a sale.
What do you have to lose if you try…

If they let you transfer then great, the seller gets to recoup their deposit + some profit maybe and the buyer saves due to the price increases…

If tesla does in fact block it then the seller loses their deposit that they would have lost regardless if they didn’t try to transfer the reservation…

What do you have to lose if you try…

If they let you transfer then great, the seller gets to recoup their deposit + some profit maybe and the buyer saves due to the price increases…

If tesla does in fact block it then the seller loses their deposit that they would have lost regardless if they didn’t try to transfer the reservation…

Angry buyers. Some folks are flying or traveling long distances to pick up the car.

For a buyer who just wants a good deal and it is convenient... no biggie.