Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Transfer Technicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you have to lose if you try…

I guess you are assuming the original person who sold the reservation would just automatically:

1. still have the money from the sold reservation
2. Say " sure no problem" to sending that money back

What a person buying this "has to lose" is whatever they pay for one of these attempted transfers. Many people are good people and will refund. Some arent, and wont.

I guess you are assuming the original person who sold the reservation would just automatically:

1. still have the money from the sold reservation
2. Say " sure no problem" to sending that money back

What a person buying this "has to lose" is whatever they pay for one of these attempted transfers. Many people are good people and will refund. Some arent, and wont.
No… Im assuming both people meet in person at tesla and cash is paid for the reservation. Anything besides this is just asking to be scammed

The moderator bumped me into this thread....

So my situation is a bit different. I just recently ordered online a model 3. I only paid $250 and DID NOT register or do anything further. My wife is getting cold feet however my brother-in-law is interested in the car. Can't I just "register" my brother-in-law and wouldn't that make it his car legally?

Please remember I am NOT talking about "transferring the order".... I'm talking about registering my brother-in-law from here on out considering I haven't done a single thing besides pay the initial $250 fee.

Would this be allow and would this work?

Thank you in advance
bp

So my situation is a bit different. I just recently ordered online a model 3. I only paid $250 and DID NOT register or do anything further. My wife is getting cold feet however my brother-in-law is interested in the car. Can't I just "register" my brother-in-law and wouldn't that make it his car legally?

Please remember I am NOT talking about "transferring the order".... I'm talking about registering my brother-in-law from here on out considering I haven't done a single thing besides pay the initial $250 fee.

Thank you in advance
bp

If you give him the email address you gave when you paid $250. AFAIK they tie the tesla account to the email address. If you paid the $250, it had you put in an email address, right?

Thank you in advance
bp

It's complicated. Tesla doesn't allow reservation transfer as per agreement. They have been allowing family transfers but I do not know the official procedure. Folks have been registering a different name on the order but like me - this was stopped at delivery day by the delivery center.

Personally, I asked about sharing a Model 3 with my brother in Austin and was told we both needed our names on the registration and both needed to be present at pickup. No SA ever said no to this - whereas I've been told no when asked about transferring registrations.

A close family member of mine no longer wanted their MYP reservation he had placed in November. Unfortunately, his registration information was entered already and he has other Tesla's on his account. We tried unsuccessfully on several occasions with various SA's to unlock the reservation to change registration to my name or inquire on other means to execute the transfer prior to delivery. There was no funny business (such as selling the reservation for $3000), just a symbiotic situation within our family. Tesla simply would not allow it. I'm not sure how others are going about executing this with complete strangers.

A close family member of mine no longer wanted their MYP reservation he had placed in November. Unfortunately, his registration information was entered already and he has other Tesla's on his account. We tried unsuccessfully on several occasions with various SA's to unlock the reservation to change registration to my name or inquire on other means to execute the transfer prior to delivery. There was no funny business (such as selling the reservation for $3000), just a symbiotic situation within our family. Tesla simply would not allow it. I'm not sure how others are going about executing this with complete strangers.
Couldn't you have both you and your family member's names on the registration and then remove your name after the point of sale? At least that's what I'm trying to do with my family member

Yes I used my email ...correct.

If you give him the email address you gave when you paid $250. AFAIK they tie the tesla account to the email address. If you paid the $250, it had you put in an email address, right?

A tesla agent told me this would be okay.... as long as I use the same email I used to place the order. So I would NOT be "transferring order" instead I would be registering my brother-in-law from here on out using my OWN email.

However the comments in this thread are making me wonder. I don't want any issues. I'm not selling my order or doing any funny business. I'm just giving it to a family member pre-registration. Confusing...

FWIW, I am pretty sure that transferring an account and then entering refistration info definitely works -- from personal experience.

But I was also fortunate to deal with someone who was willing to share the risk, and rollback the $$ transaction if Tesla pulled the rug underneath our feet at the last minute.

I would certainly rely more on reservation traders who have no qualm in an honest way. (Fortunately the couple of xonveraations I had on this were upfront about it.)

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think you misunderstand the problem. SAs all agreed to transfer my registration to new buyer (address, insurance, etc) and everything was hokey-dokey until delivery where it got rejected after payment was accepted by the SA. Tesla HQ or delivery center management can block a sale.

so how did they handle refunding payment? Curious how it all works if third party financing is involved. Kind of hard to unwind all of that.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I got a reservation for a MY for my parents but they're stuck now. The delivery location is set to the previous owner's home address, and it can't be changed. Plus, they logged in and the reservation has the previous owners DL uploaded. How do they change those fields? Trade-in and financing are untouched.
Of course, nothing can be changed yourself once that info is entered -- I think you have been on the "for sale" forum so I thought you knew that?

(1) Safer bet, ask for your money back if you didnt get this info ahead of time (if you asked for it.)

(2) Other bet, keep calling a Tesla SA and ask to change that (again, should have happened with reservation seller in picture and probably before buying).

You would really need a bit of luck (to get through to a friendly SA) to get this done -- good luck 👍🤞

Of course, nothing can be changed yourself once that info is entered -- I think you have been on the "for sale" forum so I thought you knew that?

(1) Safer bet, ask for your money back if you didnt get this info ahead of time (if you asked for it.)

(2) Other bet, keep calling a Tesla SA and ask to change that (again, should have happened with reservation seller in picture and probably before buying).

You would really need a bit of luck (to get through to a friendly SA) to get this done -- good luck 👍🤞
Yeah, I was hoping there was some tips such as putting it on hold or changing the configuration that would maybe reset the DL section.

With multiple recent pricing increases (especially for S/X and factoring in how old many of those reservations probably are) and insane gas prices, allowing transfers probably isn’t sustainable. Doing the math, original X orders are possibly being sold at no profit or even loss for the company at this point. In other words, the price increase percentage since launch is about equal to the company’s av
If they let you transfer then great, the seller gets to recoup their deposit + some profit maybe and the buyer saves due to the price increases…

If tesla does in fact block it then the seller loses their deposit that t

I mean, I just bought a model X LR reservation from someone and picked it up on Monday. Just changed the name, transferred the account to me, and everything was okay. I'm not sure what the big hub bub about this is, but it completely worked out fine for me. I flew down to Oakland, picked up in Dublin, and drove back up to Portland area all in the same day. It worked just fine.

Reactions: bhzmark
I mean, I just bought a model X LR reservation from someone and picked it up on Monday. Just changed the name, transferred the account to me, and everything was okay. I'm not sure what the big hub bub about this is, but it completely worked out fine for me. I flew down to Oakland, picked up in Dublin, and drove back up to Portland area all in the same day. It worked just fine.
You changed the name on the account, but how did you change the registration/title name before going to pick it up? Or, did you just show up to the showroom, and they didn't care that it was a different person coming in with a different name, and they changed the title info right there?

You changed the name on the account, but how did you change the registration/title name before going to pick it up? Or, did you just show up to the showroom, and they didn't care that it was a different person coming in with a different name, and they changed the title info right there?
I'm not 100% sure, The guy changed it the night before, went with me to make sure all went well, and it wasn't even an issue at all. I signed all paperwork under my own name.

Reactions: budygadi