Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Transfer Technicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean, I just bought a model X LR reservation from someone and picked it up on Monday. Just changed the name, transferred the account to me, and everything was okay. I'm not sure what the big hub bub about this is, but it completely worked out fine for me. I flew down to Oakland, picked up in Dublin, and drove back up to Portland area all in the same day. It worked just fine.

If you have full account control (and all names/addresses are yours) along with the registration change... the likelihood of delivery center rejection seems minimal.

It's when an order is still under a different Tesla account where the registration data mismatches from the parent Tesla account.... seems to bring the most problems.

Reactions: Predation and UCF3
If you have full account control (and all names/addresses are yours) along with the registration change... the likelihood of delivery center rejection seems minimal.

It's when an order is still under a different Tesla account where the registration data mismatches from the parent Tesla account.... seems to bring the most problems.
What's a different account and parent account? This is the first time I am hearing this terminology for Tesla accounts. Can you elaborate/explan the scenario you are describing?

What's a different account and parent account? This is the first time I am hearing this terminology for Tesla accounts. Can you elaborate/explan the scenario you are describing?

I mean the order registration (name, address, phone) has different info than the Tesla account info (name, address, phone). Also, the order agreement could have completely different info (again name, address, phone) than those two. That is the person who paid for the order with the credit card.

I mean the order registration (name, address, phone) has different info than the Tesla account info (name, address, phone). Also, the order agreement could have completely different info (again name, address, phone) than those two. That is the person who paid for the order with the credit card.
There's a trick to updating the OA. So, after the account has been updated to the buyer (profile settings), then use the Edit Design link. Make any tweak like color. This will generate a new OA based on the info in the profile settings. Once you've done this, no remnants of the original RN owner will be visible, except of course whatever logging Tesla has on their end. Then tweak the order back to whatever you like - this may affect delivery date.

There's a trick to updating the OA. So, after the account has been updated to the buyer (profile settings), then use the Edit Design link. Make any tweak like color. This will generate a new OA based on the info in the profile settings. Once you've done this, no remnants of the original RN owner will be visible, except of course whatever logging Tesla has on their end. Then tweak the order back to whatever you like - this may affect delivery date.
That would affect price too though, not only delivery date. Most of the benefit of reservation transfer is the lower cost of the original reservation.

That would affect price too though, not only delivery date. Most of the benefit of reservation transfer is the lower cost of the original reservation.
Nope, due to Tesla's recent policy change, Edit Designs are based on original pricing at the time of the original RN. Anecdotally, I've helped many folks with this process and it's worked fine, including delivery. I am thinking of setting up a consulting service, lol.

Yes this works if no VIN assigned. Once a VIN is assigned you can’t edit the design until the VIN is removed.

Reactions: Daekwan
So what is the consensus? If I want to buy a reservation from someone could they give me their tesla acc and I change the registrant and account info to my name?
Yes, as long as the seller:

1. is willing to give up their account to you
2. has not entered any info, including DL, registration, and financing
3. and no VIN assigned yet

Another thing. When you do the account/email switch, the buyer's email should not have ever been used with Tesla, otherwise, it won't work.

If you want more help, message me or aka RN Services, LLC. lol

Yes, as long as the seller:

1. is willing to give up their account to you
2. has not entered any info, including DL, registration, and financing
3. and no VIN assigned yet

Another thing. When you do the account/email switch, the buyer's email should not have ever been used with Tesla, otherwise, it won't work.

If you want more help, message me or aka RN Services, LLC. lol
Do you mind messaging me? Just want to confirm some stuff and I can't message you

Ok, so...if they have uploaded a DL and selected cash...that means this will not work anymore because the first DL info is then always tied with the reservation?
Yes, this one is a goner. No SA will reset the DL section anymore for the RN buyer to enter accordingly. I mean, there could be an SA willing to override it, but it's not allowed. What this really means, in my opinion, is that the RN seller most likely pursued the order with the intent to sell. Most folks enter their DL info right away.

Reactions: UCF3 and Daekwan
Yes, this one is a goner. No SA will reset the DL section anymore for the RN buyer to enter accordingly. I mean, there could be an SA willing to override it, but it's not allowed. What this really means, in my opinion, is that the RN seller most likely pursued the order with the intent to sell. Most folks enter their DL info right away.

Once in a while, you can get a Tesla SA who can reset this for you. You either need to know a Tesla SA who is okay doing that, or keep trying on the phone to reach out to an SA who would be okay with that. (Both work for sure from personal experience.)

There are other ways around this that someone told me, but I would just say "no comment" on those.

Too much FUD around here regarding this matter. Obviously this isnt something Tesla facilitates themselves but its still doable to help people who are willing to pay a premium to receive a car more quickly. Do it at your own risk as the only way to get a Tesla 100% guaranteed is to buy a used one or a new one through your own reservation.

As someone who has purchased a two reservations successfully and have one of the cars delivered (other one EDD keeps bouncing), let me be clear about what worked for me.

In my cases, there were two scenarios. The first one that is most easy and straight forward:

Method/Scenario 1:
-Reservation is on a Tesla Account with NO OTHER Tesla products (Cars, solar, other reservations, etc)
-Reservation registration info WAS NOT ENTERED yet
*Seller simply changed the account name/email/phone to mine's and handed over the username and password and I changed everything on the account to my info.

Method/Scenario 2:
-Reservation is on a Tesla Account with NO OTHER Tesla products (Cars, solar, other reservations, etc)
-Reservation registration info WAS ENTERED
*Seller had to get a Tesla SA to update the registration info to mine's (dont be a dumb idiot like some people and tell Tesla you bought or are selling the reservation). Then once updated in the account, seller simply changed the account name/email/phone to mine's and handed over the username and password and I changed everything on the account to my info.

Other things i've noticed from these forums/twitter/fb/yt:
*Vin transfers are risky, dont attempt eg dont try to get Tesla to match the vin to your reservation
*Get Tesla to generate a new Order Agreement pdf after the transfer or do it yourself by editing the design details
*Dont show up with your reservation seller to pick up the car expecting Tesla to transfer then and there

The problem is that Tesla does not keep their end of the bargain. My reservation from July 2021 still doesn't have a VIN. It was supposed to be delivered last October. Meanwhile they have delivered many higher priced cars that were reserved after my car. I had to purchase a used car about $8k more than I could in July 2021 to fill the gap. Now if I cancel my reservation that means I am out of $8k due to Tesla refusing to deliver the car on time to increase their profit. I am sure someone will take them to court if they start cancelling reservations transfers.

Reactions: voxel
*Vin transfers are risky, dont attempt eg dont try to get Tesla to match the vin to your reservation
There's nothing risky about them at all. Tesla has always supported it officially. I've helped two people VIN transfer successfully with full support of SAs.

I think VIN transfer is the 100% safest path. The buyer has an existing order (or creates a new one) with a config that matches the VIN and the seller can simply authorize VIN transfer over. Assuming same delivery location. Of course the prices between the orders are usually different.