Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Transfer Technicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that Tesla does not keep their end of the bargain. My reservation from July 2021 still doesn't have a VIN. It was supposed to be delivered last October. Meanwhile they have delivered many higher priced cars that were reserved after my car. I had to purchase a used car about $8k more than I could in July 2021 to fill the gap. Now if I cancel my reservation that means I am out of $8k due to Tesla refusing to deliver the car on time to increase their profit. I am sure someone will take them to court if they start cancelling reservations transfers.

I think the "fine print" on order agreement is that reservations are non-transferrable, so that probably protects them from lawsuits.

There's nothing risky about them at all. Tesla has always supported it officially. I've helped two people VIN transfer successfully with full support of SAs.

I think VIN transfer is the 100% safest path. The buyer has an existing order (or creates a new one) with a config that matches the VIN and the seller can simply authorize VIN transfer over. Assuming same delivery location. Of course the prices between the orders are usually different.

Agreed. VIN transfer is safe and works, but often Tesla SAs may just refuse to do that.

Reactions: Daekwan and voxel
I think the "fine print" on order agreement is that reservations are non-transferrable, so that probably protects them from lawsuits.
You have to do is to show they are not honoring their orders in good faith. I could have ordered or bought a different car if I knew it will take this long. So I think Tesla should be flexible in how they deal with order transfers because it is their fault that old orders are not fulfilled yet. They cannot expect people to wait a year after original delivery date and their situation has not changed by then.

• Disagree
Reactions: MountainRatMat
You have to do is to show they are not honoring their orders in good faith. I could have ordered or bought a different car if I knew it will take this long. So I think Tesla should be flexible in how they deal with order transfers because it is their fault that old orders are not fulfilled yet. They cannot expect people to wait a year after original delivery date and their situation has not changed by then.

As frustrating as it is to keep waiting, I wont be surprised if there is more "fine print" about the "cannot guarantee when the car will actually comes" in the agreement.

I think there may be case if "order #17" for Model A was delivered before "order #10" for Model A. (I am sure there are examples of this happening.)

But it gets harder to make a case across different Models, if "order #23456" for Model B gets delivered before Model A orders.

As frustrating as it is to keep waiting, I wont be surprised if there is more "fine print" about the "cannot guarantee when the car will actually comes" in the agreement.

Its not even fine print. its right there in the order agreement, in pretty plain english:

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 10.58.40 PM.png

(screen shot of the actual motor vehicle purchase agreement text on the Model Y order I bought for my wife, March 9th of this year).

They also say that the content of the vehicle may change after order, and the order fee is non refundable:

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 10.57.40 PM.png

Again you need to show Tesla does not honor the low priced orders as they should, if they postpone your order just because they want to profiteer from current market condition, you have a case. For example, gas stations can set the price of gas, but if there is some sort of shortage, they cannot price gouge. You can order a Model Y performance with self driving and you will get it before my reservation from last July. So it is not manufacturing unavailability. It is simple profiteering.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Again you need to show Tesla does not honor the low priced orders as they should, if they postpone your order just because they want to profiteer from current market condition, you have a case. For example, gas stations can set the price of gas, but if there is some sort of shortage, they cannot price gouge. You can order a Model Y performance with self driving and you will get it before my reservation from last July. So it is not manufacturing unavailability. It is simple profiteering.

Agreed, but I think we (me and other recent replies) are suggesting that there is not much merit in a legal action here.

I am also sure that there are many counter examples out there: many MYLR orders placed after July (after your order date) and have been fulfilled 🤷‍♂️

just completed a transfer Saturday

-Reservation is on a Tesla Account with Reservation registration info WAS ENTERED
-Day before pickup, SA calls to confirm Registration and we change all registration info at the point (on Friday)

Curious how did the new buyer pay? My buyer got blocked at delivery because he used a cashier's check and I wonder if wire or Plaid payment could have avoid this.

FYI SAs are always willing to help... they just need to avoid the watchful eyes of the delivery center management and Tesla HQ.

Not sure what the "fuss" is all about with regards to the process. We changed the registration info to our "family". He picked up the car over the weekend. We then just moved the car from our acct to his acct, which is instant. And the process is now all online so, you don't have to bug SA to do it. The option to remove the car from our Tesla acct is greyed out the day he picked up the car. But it's available the next day to delete the car from our acct. Basically just follow the step here: Tesla Account Support

Not sure what the "fuss" is all about with regards to the process. We changed the registration info to our "family". He picked up the car over the weekend. We then just moved the car from our acct to his acct, which is instant. And the process is now all online so, you don't have to bug SA to do it. The option to remove the car from our Tesla acct is greyed out the day he picked up the car. But it's available the next day to delete the car from our acct. Basically just follow the step here: Tesla Account Support
How did you change the registration info to your family? Did you have the car originally registered to you?

YMMV but we just called SA and told them to reset the registration info. It probably helps since we have our MX order and the MY order was just our backup. So, we told them we will wait out on the MX order and wanted to change MY order to our "family". Had to do it twice since the first person didn't get the loan. Never had any issues when we called.

Reactions: Daekwan