Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Transfer Technicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YMMV but we just called SA and told them to reset the registration info. It probably helps since we have our MX order and the MY order was just our backup. So, we told them we will wait out on the MX order and wanted to change MY order to our "family". Had to do it twice since the first person didn't get the loan. Never had any issues when we called.

Gotcha. How did you do financing? Did your "family" have the option to use outside financing or did he have to use Tesla financing? And as I read it, you had to change the registrant twice since the first person you tried to transfer to didn't get the loan?

Curious about the steps involved.

This person has committed to buying a Model 3 from inventory , to take delivery in 5 days.
But has changed their mind or can't come up with the cash, so is reselling the car before taking delivery.

Might be a scam .
Has this been covered already in FAQ ?

Suggestions ? TIA

Did anyone have their delivery delayed after transfer? I just had a reservation transferred to me and noticed the order agreement reset from Jan to May (when the transfer took place). I'm hoping this doesn't mean it's gonna reset me in queue as well.

Yes, as long as the seller:

1. is willing to give up their account to you
2. has not entered any info, including DL, registration, and financing
3. and no VIN assigned yet

Another thing. When you do the account/email switch, the buyer's email should not have ever been used with Tesla, otherwise, it won't work.

If you want more help, message me or aka RN Services, LLC. lol
Is the "Edit Design" step needed?

I dont get why some people are so upset about the small man making a quick buck. But if a huge corporation makes a buck everyone is happy? Makes no sense. I have a Tesla reservation and Id be willing to "sell" to someone lower than what you could buy the same one on teslas website for. You would be able to obtain the car much quicker and you would save money. This is a Win/Win but I guess people dont like seeing the small man make any money. SMH

I dont get why some people are so upset about the small man making a quick buck. But if a huge corporation makes a buck everyone is happy? Makes no sense. I have a Tesla reservation and Id be willing to "sell" to someone lower than what you could buy the same one on teslas website for. You would be able to obtain the car much quicker and you would save money. This is a Win/Win but I guess people dont like seeing the small man make any money. SMH
It's probably because it's technically prohibted by Tesla per policy.

Which "small man" is more deserving? The one with the order for a car he doesn't want, or the next guy waiting in line who goes want a car and has been standing there patiently for a year?

My MX reservation is tied to a coworker’s account. He didn’t plan on taking delivery and asked if I was interested. We emailed the SA who said it could not be transferred to my account, however they gave us a Tesla-sanctioned process to follow. They reset the registration on the reservation and put my info on it. Once I take delivery he can then transfer the car to my account.

Two caveats with this approach, of course. I actually know the reservation holder, and we both live near the delivery SC. The reservation holder needs to be actively involved up until delivery. In fact they may need to go with you to take delivery (unsure on this).

My MX reservation is tied to a coworker’s account. He didn’t plan on taking delivery and asked if I was interested. We emailed the SA who said it could not be transferred to my account, however they gave us a Tesla-sanctioned process to follow. They reset the registration on the reservation and put my info on it. Once I take delivery he can then transfer the car to my account.

Two caveats with this approach, of course. I actually know the reservation holder, and we both live near the delivery SC. The reservation holder needs to be actively involved up until delivery. In fact they may need to go with you to take delivery (unsure on this).
You’d need to apply for financing, communicate with Tesla, make payments, and accept delivery, via his account, until the car is transferred to your account - even then, he’ll have the original documents such as loan agreement and title information in his account. You really do need to know the original reservation holder.

You’d need to apply for financing, communicate with Tesla, make payments, and accept delivery, via his account, until the car is transferred to your account - even then, he’ll have the original documents such as loan agreement and title information in his account. You really do need to know the original reservation holder.
Title is part of registration and nothing to do with Tesla. Unless Tesla is the loaner. If someone does try this you probably best not do it with a Tesla loan or Tesla insurance.

Its not even fine print. its right there in the order agreement, in pretty plain english:

View attachment 794513

(screen shot of the actual motor vehicle purchase agreement text on the Model Y order I bought for my wife, March 9th of this year).

They also say that the content of the vehicle may change after order, and the order fee is non refundable:

View attachment 794514
Just sharing a possibility, as I am from New Zealand but can clearly see the loophole in process.

I I notice here, When you have personalised number plate, Tesla would ask you to handle registration with one of the SA.

Potentially, buyer gets a Personalised number plate... seller indicates this when submitting the delivery details... during the vehicle registration process they simply enter the details matching the Personalised plate owner's details... this might work - or - maybe not... another option is to mention that car is intended gift so changes are necessary - no decent car company would say no to that, and most risk is removed in process.

Question for those that are going through/have gone through a transfer process -

I have a friend in a different state that has a Model 3 order being delivered in the next couple weeks. Their original order was a couple price hikes ago and they are thinking of just cancelling the order.

I have an order in for an identical Model 3 one price hike ago due to deliver in late August.

Any chance Tesla will let us either trade orders or let me take delivery of their order at their price?

Question for those that are going through/have gone through a transfer process -

I have a friend in a different state that has a Model 3 order being delivered in the next couple weeks. Their original order was a couple price hikes ago and they are thinking of just cancelling the order.

I have an order in for an identical Model 3 one price hike ago due to deliver in late August.

Any chance Tesla will let us either trade orders or let me take delivery of their order at their price?
Simply have your friend change their registration info to yours and give you their account.