Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a MY reservation that I have found someone who wishes to take the vehicle. When I called Tesla to request the transfer, the rep told me that as there will be a new owner, this change would be interpreted as a brand new order, and for some reason be placed at the back of the current queue.

Has another who completed a transfer successfully encounter the same issue, or were they able to keep their place in the queue?

• Funny
Reactions: hnguy054
Reservation is tied to your account. The only way to "transfer" it is to cancel the reservation and create another in a different account. At which time of course, you will be at the end of the line. I checked yesterday, just for giggles, lead-time for a MYLR 5-seater is now pushed to July 2022! :eek: I think everyone has had it with the rising gas prices (It is a legit $5/gal in my neck of woods) and are rushing to have at least one EV in a household.

With that said, I think many are negotiating privately to "sell/flip" the car at delivery to someone who wants it.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
I gave my M3 preorder (submitted the first day of reservations for the M3) to my nephew. He now has the car, and has for over 3 years...

We weren't able to 'transfer' anything, but were told that once the config email arrived, then I could change the name from myself to my nephew. Easy peasy. The challenge was getting 'his' M3 off of my account after he took possession. Even though he was the legal and rightful owner, he still had to have access to my account for anything for his M3.

Once we realized this issue, he was told he had to go to the local SC and they would take care of it. He went as soon as he could, and got his own account. I no longer see his M3 on my account.

Not a big deal for a family member... but not sure how to make this work for a stranger? Maybe if you tell the SC immediately that the legal owner needs his/her own account, it could be done at delivery?

Hello, so say you give your account to someone... but before you give them ur account, you change the name on it, email, phone number, password.. will now that name on the account work for the order? (basically new name)
This is basically what I did with my LR Model 3 I am transferring to someone else. Basically, I have to give access to my Tesla account to the person taking over my reservation and request a local SA switch all the registration info in my Tesla account into their name. This takes quite a bit of trust as the person now has access to my entire Tesla account (and could theoretically even access my current Model 3 if they wanted to. I turned off mobile access to my 3 until the transfer is complete). So once I gave them access to my account, they completed the rest of the pre-delivery tasks (insurance, financing, etc) and are now just waiting for their delivery date to roll around.

Once the person officially takes delivery of the transferred LRM3, I can request Tesla to transfer the VIN to their own Tesla account and switch everything back into my name. Hopefully the transfer process doesn't take long.

Reactions: voxel
This is basically what I did with my LR Model 3 I am transferring to someone else. Basically, I have to give access to my Tesla account to the person taking over my reservation and request a local SA switch all the registration info in my Tesla account into their name. This takes quite a bit of trust as the person now has access to my entire Tesla account (and could theoretically even access my current Model 3 if they wanted to. I turned off mobile access to my 3 until the transfer is complete). So once I gave them access to my account, they completed the rest of the pre-delivery tasks (insurance, financing, etc) and are now just waiting for their delivery date to roll around.

Once the person officially takes delivery of the transferred LRM3, I can request Tesla to transfer the VIN to their own Tesla account and switch everything back into my name. Hopefully the transfer process doesn't take long.
Could you create a new account and transfer your existing vehicle to it, then hand over the old account (temporarily) to the buyer?

What's the latest update on this? Did it go as smoothly as stated above? I'm kind of in the same boat wanting to sell my model X long range

So I call Tesla today and asked if I can transfer a car to me and they said absolutely not. When I use my friends account I’ve changed everything over to my name however the registration for the reservation is still under his name and it’s impossible to change. They said that he would have to be here there to pick up the car. Has anyone encountered the same issue?

So I call Tesla today and asked if I can transfer a car to me and they said absolutely not. When I use my friends account I’ve changed everything over to my name however the registration for the reservation is still under his name and it’s impossible to change. They said that he would have to be here there to pick up the car. Has anyone encountered the same issue?

This is the problem.. it is possible but an SA or whomever answering/texting on the other side of Tesla support can block it. It's a roll of the dice and makes the process annoying. Tesla officially does not allow for reservation transfer... but there is no rule on adding another person (you) to the registration and having your DMV remove that after titling. Unsure how that works in your state. That's the only workaround if your SA or Tesla continues to say no to your registration name change.

What's the latest update on this? Did it go as smoothly as stated above? I'm kind of in the same boat wanting to sell my model X long range
Pretty much. The person I transferred my reservation to successfully took delivery, and the same day the request was put in to transfer the car to their Tesla account. You definitely need an SA/local Tesla store rep willing to help out with the process or it might turn into a nightmare of delays. The person that took my reservation actually was from out of state on vacation and drove it 1,000 miles back to Texas, so I was charged 3 times when they Supercharged, but they reimbursed me each time.
Little sketchy, but in the end it worked out!

Reactions: voxel