TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Reservations for 2nd production run of camera switch kit now being taken

Discussion in 'Model S' started by artsci, Jul 4, 2016.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

With a Tesla Model S rear camera mounted in the front of the car, the camera switch makes possible switching from a rear to front view on the touch screen when parking the car or in other situations when the driver wants to be able to see obstacles in front of the car that are not in the line of sight The switch fully integrates with the touch screen camera electronics. Supplied with a remote, the switch can be operated using the Model S Homelink system.

Interest on TMC appears to be sufficient to justify a 2nd production run of the kit. An initial production run of 100 was made in 2014 and they were sold out in several months. To justify an investment in cost of a 2nd production run we’ll need 100 reservations. The cost of the kit will be $210. Reservation holders will be required to make a 50 percent deposit once a total of 100 reservations is reached. The production run will not begin until 100 deposits have been received.

The kit includes a the camera switch PCB mounted in a case, plugs for the touchscreen, rear, and front camera cable connectors, a front license plate mount, and a remote.

The kit also requires the buyer to purchase from a Tesla Service Center an additional Tesla rear camera, three Tesla cables, and installation parts. These parts will cost an additional $600 or so.

To make an initial reservation at no cost go here. Instructions are provided.

Here's a link to a video that shows the switch in operation.

• Helpful x 2
  2. Chaitu

Chaitu Member

Is the front license plate required?

3. Nismode

Nismode Member

How far along is this?

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Will this work on the Model X?

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I have to imagine the part is the same. I'm chatting with @artsci this weekend about doing something very similar on the back of my Airstream, but I'm hoping to use a 4 pole double throw switch instead of a PCB solution.

If you've got a little patience, I'll be able to let you know how old Model S cameras work on a Model X. :)

6. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Wondering this as well...this would be a deal breaker for me...

7. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Two questions. I recall that you had trouble at one point of "flipping" the image for the front camera (I could be mistaken and out of date), has that been resolved? And two, does that $600 from Tesla assume the new APv2 rear camera, if so, can we take the pre-APv2 camera and move it to the front and install the newer camera in the rear for this modification?

8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

The front image is still flipped. There was no way to decode and process the video in real time.

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I can tell you that a 4DPDT switch will not work. Believe me, I tried it for a few months and nothing I did worked. You have to have electronics to manage the signal, thus the PCB. White P85 who's in the business designed it all.

• Informative x 2
  10. cynix

cynix Member

The "video" link seems to be pointing at the reservation page.

11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I am really interested in updating the rear camera and putting a new one up front with their remote switch.

Not sure why Tesla does not provide this standard. One of my biggest complaints of the car is that you cannot see directly in front of the car and the shape makes it difficult to judge distance etc. The ultrasonic sensors help but I am still skeptical that they see everything (ie parking berms).

• Like x 1
  12. Kristoffer Helle

How about ap2 cars?

13. supratachophobia

Will we be able to purchase the updated camera, install that in the rear, and then use the old rear camera for the front camera mod?

14. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

15. michaelwm

michaelwm Member

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Don't see why not.

17. ebrown7b

ebrown7b Member

What is the status of the reservation queue? How close is this to moving forward to the next phase?

18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

We're still working on estimates for the switch PCB. And it's inline behind a host of other things: facelift front lighted T, Model X front and rear lighted T and applique. Once we have them in place we'll get to the switch. But it will be months.

19. supratachophobia

Great to hear. Does my idea make sense from the assumption that the newer camera is of higher resolution and/or wider angle and/or may deal with rain drops slightly better?

20. Looking-for-S

Looking-for-S Member

I would like to sign up but the links seem to be broken. Anyone else been able to get through?

Get an error every time for the whole site:
    https://www.evappliques.com/