Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservations for 2nd production run of camera switch kit now being taken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a Tesla Model S rear camera mounted in the front of the car, the camera switch makes possible switching from a rear to front view on the touch screen when parking the car or in other situations when the driver wants to be able to see obstacles in front of the car that are not in the line of sight The switch fully integrates with the touch screen camera electronics. Supplied with a remote, the switch can be operated using the Model S Homelink system.

Interest on TMC appears to be sufficient to justify a 2nd production run of the kit. An initial production run of 100 was made in 2014 and they were sold out in several months. To justify an investment in cost of a 2nd production run we’ll need 100 reservations. The cost of the kit will be $210. Reservation holders will be required to make a 50 percent deposit once a total of 100 reservations is reached. The production run will not begin until 100 deposits have been received.

The kit includes a the camera switch PCB mounted in a case, plugs for the touchscreen, rear, and front camera cable connectors, a front license plate mount, and a remote.

The kit also requires the buyer to purchase from a Tesla Service Center an additional Tesla rear camera, three Tesla cables, and installation parts. These parts will cost an additional $600 or so.

To make an initial reservation at no cost go here. Instructions are provided.

Here's a link to a video that shows the switch in operation.

Will this work on the Model X?
I have to imagine the part is the same. I'm chatting with @artsci this weekend about doing something very similar on the back of my Airstream, but I'm hoping to use a 4 pole double throw switch instead of a PCB solution.

If you've got a little patience, I'll be able to let you know how old Model S cameras work on a Model X. :)

I have to imagine the part is the same. I'm chatting with @artsci this weekend about doing something very similar on the back of my Airstream, but I'm hoping to use a 4 pole double throw switch instead of a PCB solution.

If you've got a little patience, I'll be able to let you know how old Model S cameras work on a Model X. :)
Two questions. I recall that you had trouble at one point of "flipping" the image for the front camera (I could be mistaken and out of date), has that been resolved? And two, does that $600 from Tesla assume the new APv2 rear camera, if so, can we take the pre-APv2 camera and move it to the front and install the newer camera in the rear for this modification?

I can tell you that a 4DPDT switch will not work. Believe me, I tried it for a few months and nothing I did worked. You have to have electronics to manage the signal, thus the PCB. White P85 who's in the business designed it all.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and ohmman
I'm hoping to use a 4 pole double throw switch instead of a PCB solution
I am really interested in updating the rear camera and putting a new one up front with their remote switch.

Not sure why Tesla does not provide this standard. One of my biggest complaints of the car is that you cannot see directly in front of the car and the shape makes it difficult to judge distance etc. The ultrasonic sensors help but I am still skeptical that they see everything (ie parking berms).

Reactions: supratachophobia