Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reserved Model 3 LR. Talk me out of upgrading to a M3P!

Should I keep my Model 3 LR reservation or upgrade to a P?

• Stick with the LR, Speed Racer. Be reasonable!

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • You will regret not getting the P!

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious what color he found for you. The only Stealths I’ve seen are black or white exterior, did he find you something different? :)

He found me one with a white exterior, exactly as I had configured my LR AWD. Same interior color too. The color scheme I like is pretty common so it's probably easier to match than some other combinations.

The other benefit is that I won't have to wait 3-7 weeks to take delivery of the vehicle.

Last edited:
I will go against the majority. I am 100% happy with my LR Dual Motor. Happy with my 18” wheels, no way do I want to deal with 20” wheels and potholes. I love the acceleration when needed, but unless there is a new person in the car, I really do not floor it from a dead stop anymore. Sure, the first few weeks I did, but no longer. My drives to the mountains, had all the power I needed to zip around other drivers.

I was surprised to read about the wear and tear on the tires with aggressive driving. People are reporting anywhere from 12,000 miles to 40,000 miles. Just depends on how aggressive a driver you are.

Choose wisely .....

Vanteer

Reactions: Spacep0d
I guess I am weird.

I have a P and I think you should pass on it. I very rarely floor it and do 0-60 in 3seconds. I've only done it to show people in the car. Other than that it's been useless. I bet you won't floor it on the LR awd 99% of the time other than to show your friends either.

These cars are very fast. The power is pretty much useless for normal driving. Fun yes, people laugh when they feel it. Do I like it sure. Does the car need it no not at all.

Vanteer and P3DStealth,

Both of you make a good case against the P (though I have a Stealth reserved now). I'm wondering, has anyone regretted getting the P instead of the LR? P3DStealth, if you had to do it over again would you just get the LR? What made you buy the P3D in the first place? What does P3D stand for again? I figure P is performance, 3 is Model 3...what is the D?

I have a Stealth reserved now, so I would have everything like the Model 3 LR but with the Performance software. I prefer the 18" aero wheels and the spoiler-free setup.

I expect I might drive slower over time (I'm calmer now at 52 than I was when I was younger) but I come from a sportbike background. Having speed superiority is something I think I will enjoy long term, even if I don't use it. Knowing I *could* use it is part of the fun. ;) But let me be honest here, I will use it occasionally and I will giggle like a maniac.

Last edited:
I bought a 2020 stealth (P-) back when it was still just a $2K upcharge. The only reason was that I could get it in early December rather than be part of the delivery carnival at the end of the calendar year (and end of the last of the tax credit). It was worth $2K to avoid that. However I have only pressed the pedal to the floor a handful of times, mostly just to see what it was all about (kind of like a nauseating carnival ride). It’s absurdly fast. No real need for it in my life. While people talk a big game, in reality, (and especially if you want range), you might choose to drive much more conservatively. I suspect that most people aren’t seriously tracking their cars, although those that are seem quite vocal. I would especially not get it again at the current price. The regular car is fast enough for regular use.

It would come down to finances. If you're stretching your budget, then think it over, or go for used if you must have the quickest. With that said, the LR with boost is no slouch. It still under 4 seconds and traps about the same in the quarter, so you're not giving up too much speed. I thought about the P, but couldn't justify the price difference considering I was never going to track the car. I never bothered with the Stealth either. I knew about the boost and saw the numbers and they were good enough. But that's me. You really want the extra performance, so that is what you should shoot for.

If you go with the non-performance version, I can almost guarantee you there will never be a time when you say "if only the car was 0.5s faster, <good thing> would have happened." If you want to be 100% rational and responsible, the non-performance version is the obvious choice.

But we humans are not 100% rational. And it is a mistake to not take that into account. If you don't get the P when you could have, you will always question if you would have been happier with the P. If you do get the P, you are unlikely to dwell on what you could have done with an extra $100 a month.

The extra performance of the P may make you happier, or it may not - the car is a blast to drive either way. But removing the nagging doubt that perhaps you should have gone with the Performance version definitely will make you happier.

NOTE: this all assumes that: 1 - you like to be pinned to the seat when you floor it, and 2 - the extra cost is not going to be a huge burden on you financially. If those assumptions are not true, then you definitely don't want the P.

If you go with the non-performance version, I can almost guarantee you there will never be a time when you say "if only the car was 0.5s faster, <good thing> would have happened." If you want to be 100% rational and responsible, the non-performance version is the obvious choice.

But we humans are not 100% rational. And it is a mistake to not take that into account. If you don't get the P when you could have, you will always question if you would have been happier with the P. If you do get the P, you are unlikely to dwell on what you could have done with an extra $100 a month.

The extra performance of the P may make you happier, or it may not - the car is a blast to drive either way. But removing the nagging doubt that perhaps you should have gone with the Performance version definitely will make you happier.

NOTE: this all assumes that: 1 - you like to be pinned to the seat when you floor it, and 2 - the extra cost is not going to be a huge burden on you financially. If those assumptions are not true, then you definitely don't want the P.

Ah yes, the age-old dilemma. What we want vs. what we need. Rational vs. non-rational. I agree that I would probably be very happy with the AWD LR+, but when I buy cars I tend to always go for the top end model. It would bother me a bit thinking about what could have been. At the same time, the cost difference isn't trivial. However, I'm justifying this with the $2500 EV credit and not having to spend $2000 for the LR AWD Boost Upgrade, which I would certainly obtain were I to take delivery of a long-range model.

So, the way I see it I'm not spending as much as it seems, and I will have the fastest car Tesla offers in the M3 range. Is that rational? Not really, but since this car is replacing a motorcycle (which I sold to get this car), I'm kinda looking at it like that too.

As you mentioned, I will likely not miss the extra $100 a month, but I will always wonder about the P if I don't get it. Also, if money were no object I'd definitely get the P (or a Stealth) so I guess that's where my heart is.

Ah yes, the age-old dilemma. What we want vs. what we need. Rational vs. non-rational. I agree that I would probably be very happy with the AWD LR+, but when I buy cars I tend to always go for the top end model. It would bother me a bit thinking about what could have been. At the same time, the cost difference isn't trivial. However, I'm justifying this with the $2500 EV credit and not having to spend $2000 for the LR AWD Boost Upgrade, which I would certainly obtain were I to take delivery of a long-range model.

So, the way I see it I'm not spending as much as it seems, and I will have the fastest car Tesla offers in the M3 range. Is that rational? Not really, but since this car is replacing a motorcycle (which I sold to get this car), I'm kinda looking at it like that too.

As you mentioned, I will likely not miss the extra $100 a month, but I will always wonder about the P if I don't get it. Also, if money were no object I'd definitely get the P (or a Stealth) so I guess that's where my heart is.

Right after I got my stealth, Sept 2018, they lowered the price of the Performance with the upgraded wheels, etc. and offered a 5k refund to that version only (originally) and then canned the stealth from being manufactured, the stealth became the worst deal of the M3s, and i was bummed, but then we got 5k back as well, and then voila it became the envy of some people that they didn't get the stealth but only the AWD.

Plus the stealth gets better mileage than the normal P+ because of the wheels, from what I’ve read, and all seasons are nice to have here on the eastern part of the country.

I think the Stealth is the best of all the M3s mainly because it’s an AWD, same range, but with way more power, unless you get the boost. But still noticeably more than AWD even with boost.

I originally ordered an AWD and last second switched it for a stealth because the AWD was super delayed. And I am so glad it was delayed.

It's a decision that depends on your financial situation. If you can pay cash for the M3P without breaking a sweat (not saying you should, given the low interest rates), then you can truly afford it. In that case, go for it! Otherwise you should probably get the SR+, unless you need the range, and invest the rest in your future (pay down CC, invest in stocks or your business, further your education, etc.).

I agree.

On the one hand, I'm a believer in spending less and saving more. Every amount of money not spent is potentially one less day, week, month etc that you will have to work in the future. I live on ~30% of my income, I could finance one of every model Tesla makes, or an M3P in every color - but I still drive a six year old Ford that's probably only worth $8,000. I will probably buy a model Y soon but if Tesla made a cheaper car, like a $30,000 hatch with a 200 mile range I would buy that instead. No car or 0-60 time is worth my freedom, and I'm only a stone's throw from never needing to work again .. I'm really only considering a tesla because it is Tesla and I'm well past sick of ICE.

On the other hand, though, my long term retirement will benefit directly from consumer spending .. so .. maybe everyone should buy the performance Teslas. :D

I agree.

On the one hand, I'm a believer in spending less and saving more. Every amount of money not spent is potentially one less day, week, month etc that you will have to work in the future. I live on ~30% of my income, I could finance one of every model Tesla makes, or an M3P in every color - but I still drive a six year old Ford that's probably only worth $8,000. I will probably buy a model Y soon but if Tesla made a cheaper car, like a $30,000 hatch with a 200 mile range I would buy that instead. No car or 0-60 time is worth my freedom, and I'm only a stone's throw from never needing to work again .. I'm really only considering a tesla because it is Tesla and I'm well past sick of ICE.

On the other hand, though, my long term retirement will benefit directly from consumer spending .. so .. maybe everyone should buy the performance Teslas. :D

Well you're welcome, lol!

I suppose if I were a stone's throw from retiring I'd be thinking more like you. Sounds like you're definitely making good money and you've invested well from the sound of it (gawd I wish I had gotten in on early TSLA) but for me at this stage of life, this car will do nicely. I plan to keep it as long as I can or as long as the battery will last. The effective cost-difference is only 6k considering I won't need to pay 2k for AWD Boost, so I think that minor cost difference over the life of the loan is worth the smiles I'll get from the P. I come from the world of sportbikes so this is in my wheelhouse, so to speak. We'll see.

If I get sick of being plastered to the seat I'll just step on the gas less aggressively. This is also true for any motorcycle. Having the power is fun, but it doesn't mean I will use it all the time. Still, nice to have it and not use it than to want it and not have it. I don't think there was ever a freeway onramp where I didn't enjoy being jettisoned out like I was Starbuck on the original Battlestar Galactica. The same will hold true for the P, no doubt. Driver, know thyself.

Someone's buying these Performance cars and I guess I'm one of those types. :)

The model 3 has drawn in a wider range of buyers to Tesla. Especially the Performance model 3 with gear heads/automotive enthusiasts or motorcycle in your case. I used to be avid in auto-x and HPDE (but haven’t gone to an event for a while now). All my cars have been modified. I was cross shopping the BMW M3 and stumbled upon the Performance model 3. Back then there was no awd+. Couldn’t even test drive the performance at the time and was unimpressed with the awd that I test drove. I took the chance and ordered the performance anyway. 2 years later and I have zero regrets.

You’ve seen a lot of varying posts here..and will continue to see. Some say they never use the added acceleration the performance offers, they never full throttle and awd is good enough. Awd+ will be faster than most cars sitting next to you at the light, merging onto the highway or accelerating to pass slower cars etc.. You can argue the awd is even too much and the standard rwd is good enough. But there will always be quicker cars out there...quicker than both the Awd+ and performance. For the enthusiasts or those looking for the quickest model version available...there will be those random times at a light, merging onto the highway or friendly pulls....where you just might not be the quickest, wonder how the performance would have been and maybe have regrets.

But it’s a personal decision and only you can decide what you can afford and what type of driver you are. Sounds like your heart is set on a performance....and coming from the sport bike world, your desire for hitting those on ramps......I’d be willing to bet you’ll probably have regrets if you don’t get it.

Will you track the car? If so, the answer is the M3P.
I fought the same battle, and chose the LR AWD and immediately got the boost. The price difference was not as important as the threshold for a rebate in NJ. There were no stealth models available.
I also did not like the 20" wheels (which can be swapped) due to poor roads around here.
But yes, I do think about the M3P

The model 3 has drawn in a wider range of buyers to Tesla. Especially the Performance model 3 with gear heads/automotive enthusiasts or motorcycle in your case. I used to be avid in auto-x and HPDE (but haven’t gone to an event for a while now). All my cars have been modified. I was cross shopping the BMW M3 and stumbled upon the Performance model 3. Back then there was no awd+. Couldn’t even test drive the performance at the time and was unimpressed with the awd that I test drove. I took the chance and ordered the performance anyway. 2 years later and I have zero regrets.

You’ve seen a lot of varying posts here..and will continue to see. Some say they never use the added acceleration the performance offers, they never full throttle and awd is good enough. Awd+ will be faster than most cars sitting next to you at the light, merging onto the highway or accelerating to pass slower cars etc.. You can argue the awd is even too much and the standard rwd is good enough. But there will always be quicker cars out there...quicker than both the Awd+ and performance. For the enthusiasts or those looking for the quickest model version available...there will be those random times at a light, merging onto the highway or friendly pulls....where you just might not be the quickest, wonder how the performance would have been and maybe have regrets.

But it’s a personal decision and only you can decide what you can afford and what type of driver you are. Sounds like your heart is set on a performance....and coming from the sport bike world, your desire for hitting those on ramps......I’d be willing to bet you’ll probably have regrets if you don’t get it.

I think we're birds of a feather here. Yes, I would definitely think about the P, and the 6k difference I could have handled just fine. Right now I'm a huge bundle of nerves....even if I were going for the AWD...because I've gotten used to not having a car at all. I'm putting 30k down and only financing a little bit and I'm feeling like I'm taking on a $1000 a month payment...but it's nothing of the sort.

It's true, I want the best performance available, if only for peace of mind and having their flagship model. I know the AWD+ would be amazing too, but for 6k I may as well go for the P considering my lifelong love of acceleration and performance. This car is replacing a sportbike and we know how fast those are. Lane-splitting will be no more, but having a fast car in the HOV lane will feel pretty good.

Thanks for your contribution, and I appreciate all of the opinions given so far.

Will you track the car? If so, the answer is the M3P.
I fought the same battle, and chose the LR AWD and immediately got the boost. The price difference was not as important as the threshold for a rebate in NJ. There were no stealth models available.
I also did not like the 20" wheels (which can be swapped) due to poor roads around here.
But yes, I do think about the M3P

Yeah, I love the fact that the Stealth does not have the 20" wheels. Cost notwithstanding, some areas of Hollywood can be pretty brutal on wheels. I don't have a commute now, but I might later (at least a day or two a week or month). Either way, I like the 18" Aero wheels better and want that 10% gain in range too.

I think we're birds of a feather here. Yes, I would definitely think about the P, and the 6k difference I could have handled just fine. Right now I'm a huge bundle of nerves....even if I were going for the AWD...because I've gotten used to not having a car at all. I'm putting 30k down and only financing a little bit and I'm feeling like I'm taking on a $1000 a month payment...but it's nothing of the sort.

It's true, I want the best performance available, if only for peace of mind and having their flagship model. I know the AWD+ would be amazing too, but for 6k I may as well go for the P considering my lifelong love of acceleration and performance. This car is replacing a sportbike and we know how fast those are. Lane-splitting will be no more, but having a fast car in the HOV lane will feel pretty good.

Thanks for your contribution, and I appreciate all of the opinions given so far.
We went with the Performance. Not the best use of our money, but if we were prioritizing that, we wouldn’t get a new Tesla anyways. Or any new car.

Elite instant torque and acceleration is one of the main reasons we bought a Tesla over other options- there are cars we liked much better than the M3 that were close enough to the AWD LR that it was M3P or no M3.

We went with the Performance. Not the best use of our money, but if we were prioritizing that, we wouldn’t get a new Tesla anyways. Or any new car.

Elite instant torque and acceleration is one of the main reasons we bought a Tesla over other options- there are cars we liked much better than the M3 that were close enough to the AWD LR that it was M3P or no M3.

Great point. Why am I getting a Tesla at all when there are much cheaper cars out there?

1. I drove the Tesla. I cannot go back to ICE. I owned a LEAF and wanted more acceleration and way more range, and the styling didn't move me. I also wanted access to the Supercharger network in the right car for that.

2. Even the AWD+ is expensive and beautiful, and nobody 'needs' this but people want it. If I couldn't get a Stealth P this would be an obvious choice. I would take this over a regular P as well, I think.

3. Why did I ride motorcycles for so long? Why was this part of my road identity? This is how I identify with cars I drive, and I generally only feel good about my purchase if I get the flagship model. Generally, manufacturers save something really good only for this model. It's annoying when that something is important such as LED lights.

I gotta follow my heart here I think.

Reactions: BlindPass
Everyone has personal reasons for buying what they did. I ordered an SR+, then changed to a Stealth, then bought the full 3P+. I usually end up with car-envy, and want the best. However. . .
I miss my ice, a convertible, rowing gears, a V-8. I paid over $60k OTD for my Performance, and sold a V-8 Camaro Convertible for $27k. Do I regret it? Yes. Having known then what I know now, I would have kept the Camaro Now I'm thinking of selling the Performance to get another convertible stick. Pristine Blue on black, only 5k miles if you're interested :)

Everyone has different priorities, its good to know them before you drop a buncha cash.