TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reserved S today and finalized at the same time

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by gobagheera, Feb 27, 2013.

1. gobagheera

gobagheera Member

I've had a Model X Sig reserved for about a month, and I decided to take the plunge on the Model S. To my surprise, upon configuring the S to 85 performance with pretty much all the options, I was asked to finalize. So I did, and I guess I will get the paperwork via email tomorrow. Is this normal? I didn't expect to finalize so quickly. (No complaints here)

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Someone posted on the TMC Google group that they finalized and got paperwork after reserving on the 25th.

3. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Configuring is part of the finalization process, I thought. It's normal to configure and then very soon after they send you the pre-MVPA to signed. What's not normal is to reserve and then be asked to configure right away.

4. gobagheera

gobagheera Member

In the "My Tesla" page, it says they are preparing the Pre-Delivery Purchase Agreement and it will be emailed in one business day. I would be really happy if I could get the S before summertime.

5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

That's awesome, especially good for new customers
    Is it true that there are no longer reservation numbers?

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

news to me. I reserved on 10/31 and didn't get my finalize notice till early January. I guess they are now down to about 4-6 week lead time so makes sense to finalize as soon as reservation is made.

7. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Yeah last time I was in the Menlo Park store a couple of weeks ago I as told that you can now finalize the S immediately after putting the reservation money down.

Jeff

8. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Tesla may be adjusting their sales process. Last summer, when the Model S was a brand new vehicle and manufacturing was moving at a very slow pace, refundable deposits were probably deemed a necessity to get people to commit to a vehicle they might not receive for nine months. Now that production is up to speed and wait time is down to 4 to 6 weeks, perhaps we will see the refundable deposit and the delay between reservation & configuration disappear. The buying sequence will more closely resemble walking into a BMW or Audi dealer, ordering a specific configuration, and receiving it a month later.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yup, might help on the cancellation rate too.

10. riceuguy

riceuguy Member

Hmmm...everyone keeps saying 4-6 weeks, but I finalized 1/7 and re-finalized after a config change 2/7, but don't have a delivery button yet (so at least 30 days out)...and I'm P10,917! So it seems unlikely that lead times are really 4-6 weeks!!

11. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

What's your configuration?

12. gobagheera

gobagheera Member

I completed the paperwork electronically yesterday and my status is now showing "The Tesla Factory is building your Model S Performance". I am so happy!

13. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

When I reserved on Saturday, I could have finalized immediately, but I'm not quite ready. I'll wait till after the test drive.

14. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Once you drive you will buy!!!!!!!!

15. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I'm sure of that. I'm hoping my ad venture starts working a bit before I fully commit though.

16. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

By re-finalizing, you may have added another 4 weeks to your lead time. And your specific configuration can affect the lead time as well. Popular colors, like black, tend to get through production more quickly.

17. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Looks like the long lead times are gone. Hope that is good and not bad. (In some industries, companies make an effort to have a backlog of orders.)

18. action7981

action7981 Member

I don't think there should be any concern with some configurations being available in 4-6 wks. As far as I know it is only US bound 85kWh (P), air suspension, non red. Tesla has been building this configuration as fast as they can since they launched last June. All that has happened is they have temporarily caught up with demand. I say temporarily because as they integrate 40kWh and European bound cars the number of US bound 85kWh cars built will fall and lead times will stretch back out.

The 85kWh battery is their highest margin car and they are working as hard as they can to become profitable this quarter so I can see why this configuration is getting priority. or it is simply their battery department is able to produce more 85kWh battery packs than 60kWh.

To sum up, this is good news for all; Tesla is becoming profitable (I imagine anyone on this forum wants this to happen) and those US buyers that want the most expensive configuration can get one in a relatively short period of time (for the time being).

19. Chuck Lusin

Chuck Lusin Chuck P10548 Jenny P10614

You would think that the 60 battery would take less time to produce, because of less cells, but not by much time.

20. gobagheera

gobagheera Member

Just wanted to updated everybody on my order.

I received an email to confirm delivery information yesterday. So here is a general timeline of my purchase:

2/27/13 - Reserve
    2/27/13 - Finalize
    2/28/13 - Sign pre-purchase agreement
    3/8/13 - Delivery confirmation

According to the email, my estimated delivery window is 3/22 - 4/5. I live in Reno, NV, which is about 4 hours drive away from Fremont, and I requested home delivery, so I'm not sure how that will affect delivery time. And I also opted to have a trade-in on the purchase, which I was surprise to see the option for. Will update as I get more info from Tesla.