TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Reserving a Tesla Model 3 ... ?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by TM3_, May 8, 2018.

1. TM3_

TM3_ New Member

So, I'm living in Ireland and reservations are €1,000 with no final price listed. I'm 16 and absolutely adore Tesla and their cars - my father had a test drive in one earlier and said that they were one of the smoothest cars he had ever driven. I am working and bringing in a far amount to afford the 35,000 that the Model 3 is going to cost. I have €1,000 on my card right now, does anyone know if there are any legal implications if I pay for a Model 3 reservation with my own card in my name? The Model 3 won't be coming to the Irish market until late 2020s apparently so I'd be 18+ at time of delivery.

Thanks!

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Good question. I can't find anything age-related about reserving a Model 3. The privacy policy has a mention of the website "isn't intended" for those *under* 16 (probably for the children privacy rules). I would think you would be fine, especially since it's going to be two years. At the worst, you could put someone else on the title with you, if, say, production speeds up and they land there earlier before you are 18.

Anyone else have a reason against this?

3. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

Since the legal driving age is 16 in Ireland, and I'm sure your card is legal, I can't imagine there'd be a problem.

Question though - by "card", do you mean that this is a credit card with a €1,000 limit? One life lesson you should learn as early as possible is how to manage debt, and it's best to avoid unsecured debt at all costs!

Ancient chinese proverb: "The secret to having money is: having money". ;)

• Like x 1
  4. TM3_

TM3_ New Member

Nope, debit card all the way. My parents offered me to be an authorised user on theirs but I want to stay on the debt-free road, €1,000 would be of my own, hard-earned money :) The less temptation to use somebody else's money, the better after all!

Sounds good - do you know is this is easy to do with Tesla while it's in production?

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

That's part of the delivery process, at least, it's an option here in the USA. I assume it's an option overseas. You might want to inquire if you can share title (if needed).

But the way things are going (on or close to schedule), I bet you will be fine!

6. TM3_

TM3_ New Member

That's all I need to hear, grand! :)

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

While want the M3 is great, and having the money to make the reservation is even greater. I'd recommending not making the reservation at this time.
    • By 2020, the waiting list is going to be a lot smaller and the production rate is going to be a lot higher
    • As such, keeping the money in the bank and earning a little interest might be a better move.
    • Going from $1k today to $35k+ in a few years is a lot of work, unless the parents are going to buy it for you. I don't expect that a bank will make that size of a loan to a teenager.
    • And most importantly, the things that you yearn for at 16 can change a lot by 18. And with the number of new EVs coming out, there may even better options in a few years.

• Like x 1