Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reserving with a Model S in the family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there - got a question here that I hope isn't out of bounds. I don't think I'm breaking any rules with this plan, but if I am please tell me.

My understanding from the way the Model X reservations worked is that you can make a reservation in your name, then change the name to someone else when the time came to configure and title the car.

My grandfather has a Model S but has no intention of getting a Model 3, so he has no problem with having a Model 3 reservation in his name that would eventually be used by me. However, for obvious reasons, he isn't keen on waiting in line for hours and braving the elements to get the reservation at the store on Thursday. We would also prefer to put the deposit down on my own card and use my email address rather than his, so that I get notified when it's time to configure the car.

I'm more than willing to go to the store on Thursday to get the reservation if that's what it takes, but will I be able to pay with my card and use my email address for "his" car? I called the store a little while ago and they said all they would need is his email, but she didn't sound too sure ...

Simply put, unfortunately, no.

Whether or not reservations worked differently in the past, there has been plenty of conversation on here, and I have confirmed with Tesla myself, to tell you that reservations must be made by the eventual owner of the car, and that neither an RN nor current owner priority can be transferred to another person, family or otherwise.

They've changed the wording this time to prevent flipping for a quick profit.
Deferral and non-transferability

If and when the time comes to place an order for a Model 3, and the reservation holder decides not to proceed with signing a sales contract, they will be permitted to defer reservation until a later time. Only one deferral is permitted. Those looking to make a quick profit by selling their early reservation should take note that it is not transferable.
Details Behind the Tesla Model 3 Reservation Agreement