TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reset Maintance Service

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Clif, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Clif

Clif Member

How can I reset "Maintance Service" on my roadster? It comes on everytime I turn on the key. Yes I can delete it. I just want to reset it without going to dealer.

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

You don't have to worry about going to a dealer. There aren't any. If you go to a Tesla service center they would probably do it for free. If you don't want to do that, I'm pretty sure most of the roadster owners in OH know how to reset it.

3. Clif

Clif Member

Yes you are correct. I have reset it now by private EMAIL. I only have 7400 miles and it came on because I was over 12 months.

4. gwagen27

gwagen27 Member

Out of curiosity, how did you reset it?

5. Chillout

Chillout Member

It can be done through the Service Diagonistics menu.

6. Clif

Clif Member

Thank you. Now what is Tesla's "secret' to programing my key fob?

7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

On the Roadster I am not aware of any programming. I think they sell two keys and a receiver as a package.

8. Clif

Clif Member

Yes it can be done. I purchased a new key , had it cut at local hardware. Tesla wants me to drive 2 hours {one way} to do the programing!!! Does Elon know this? TESLA just give me the code please.

9. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

What makes you think there's a code? On most cars, a virgin key (never programmed to a car) has to be burned in with the car's code, not the other way around. This requires specialized equipment that plugs into the car and a loop antenna that sends a signal to the key. On my BMW, it requires a $3 chip soldered to the key's circuit board, plus about $2,000 worth of equipment to program the key. If there was a simple code, every one of our cars would be stolen overnight.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Oh yes they can reprogram it, but it's a crazy procedure. You have to do oddball things like opening and closing the door and turning the key in a particular sequence to trigger it. Then the LED in the glove compartment starts blinking, and you have to count the blinks and turn the key when it hits the right number. You have to do that repeatedly until you've entered the entire number code of the key fob. Then it is synchronized. I've seen a Ranger do the procedure, and it's so complicated he had to try a couple of times to get it to work.

11. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I read a story about some thieves who built a box to program BMW keys and used it to steal the cars. I think there's a YouTube video demo.

12. slcasner

slcasner Member

Where is said LED on a 1.5 with no glove compartment?

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Like many things, it's probably different in the 1.5. I have no idea, having only witnessed the reprogramming of a 2.0.

14. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

15. Roadster #398

Roadster #398 New Member

Hi Chillout. I cant find the Service Diagnostics in my menu, can you tell me how to get there

16. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Can someone tell me where in the diagnostics menu I would reset the service interval? I poked around for a minute, but didn't see anything obvious and didn't want to reset the wrong thing. I guess Tesla didn't reset mine when they did my service last spring.

17. Stefan T

Stefan T Member

Under Controls menu