Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reset manual charge port release.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Model 3 last Thursday. On Monday charged up to 100% for the first time, and found our adapter was locked. We used the manual release to get the adapter out.
Now we are getting an error message "Charge port latch not engaged", and our charging has been reduced significantly. Tesla charging light blinking amber.
There is no debris that we can see.
Talked to roadside and looks like I can call tomorrow to try and get a ranger out to help.
Any ideas on how weight tackle this issue on our own?

Um. Try two things:
  1. Double scroll wheel reset. Hold both scroll wheels down until the screen goes black. Let go. After a bit, the Tesla icon will appear and the computer will finish its reset. This sometimes clears up weird behavior.
  2. Power cycle reset. Under Maintenance, there’s a, “Turn car off” menu selection. Do that thing, wait about a minute, then hit the brake pedal to turn the car back on.
Given that this is a new car doing these things, I rather suspect the problem is infant mortality and the ranger might need to get involved, but the above won’t hurt.

Just got my Model 3 last Thursday. On Monday charged up to 100% for the first time, and found our adapter was locked. We used the manual release to get the adapter out.
Now we are getting an error message "Charge port latch not engaged", and our charging has been reduced significantly. Tesla charging light blinking amber.
Talked to roadside and looks like I can call tomorrow to try and get a ranger out to help.
Check your "adapter" for obstructions. In other cases that it happened with brand new cars, the charge port pin deadfronts on their old car got dislodged and stuck onto their mobile connector, so that connector only works on their old car (since it was missing the deadfronts), but would not seat fully into the new car.

charge port latch not engaged
Super strange - New UMC

It could also be the pins are misaligned on your "adapter"
Condo 6-50R Charging - Help!

Not sure what your mean when you specify "adapter" however. If it's the Mobile Connector, Tesla may replace it if it is defective (and still under warranty). Same with the J1772 adapter. If you mean a third party adapter, then they won't cover it obviously (unless it is a deadfront issue on the car side or something to do with you using the manual release, which shouldn't have been necessary in the first place).

Last edited:
I had a similar issue a year or two ago.
There was a recall campaign on defective charger connector pins at the same time.
Right after the pins were replaced in my car, the issues went away. Not certain if that was a cause of causation or correlation, but consider submitting a "Service Request" via the app, describe your problem, and see where it goes from there.

HTH,
a