TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Resetting car

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by robd, Oct 2, 2018.

1. robd

robd Member

does the model 3 have a restart function similar to the S? I know you can press both scroll wheels to restart screen but my S also has a reset for the vehicle as well. Didn’t see anything in the manual maybe it resets both?

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Huh? You hold the scroll buttons on the 3 to reboot the MCU. If you mean to wipe out all saved settings and profiles and get back to the factory state, I'm not sure what menu that is under on the 3.

3. robd

robd Member

On the S scroll press resets screen, if you hold the top arrows buttons resets the dash screen and the vehicle isn’t drivable until it resets unlike the nav screen where you can reset but still drive. Just wondering

4. babula

babula New Member

You can do a soft reset by pressing both buttons on the steering wheel and aharda reset by pressing both and the brake at the same time. The soft reset restarts the screen while allowing you to drive, the hard reset restarts both computers.

• Informative x 1
  5. robd

robd Member

Thanks Babula!

6. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

I just tried this and it appears to do the same with or without the brake. The load time was the same and my blower fan didn’t change or stop.

I would assume with both computers resetting it would stop the blower fan for at least a few seconds and take a little longer to reboot. Is this assumption incorrect?

7. tm3vt

tm3vt Member

My understanding is that a full (or hard) reboot on a Model 3 is to hold both buttons down (on the steering wheel) until the Tesla logo appears. This is similar to an iPad where you can hold both buttons and release when the screen goes off (soft reset) or hold until the logo shows up (hard reset)... It's in the manual, in case you need a reference!

• Like x 1